You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

India vs Australia Adelaide Test Series 2020 - the pink cherry challenge

We'll have separate threads to discuss each Test match between Team India and Team Australia, the series beginning tomorrow at Adelaide. Instead of giving updates about the scores every now and then, let's focus more on interesting analytical discussions, such as on the players' performance, field placements, what we can expect on the next day, etc.

First off, let's talk about using the pink cherry, that too in a day-night Test match. When I looked up information about the pink ball, I found that the very first time it was used was in a women's match, when England defeated Australia in a one-day match. There were also trials at various cricket venues. The first day-night Test match was between Australia and New Zealand with the former winning within three days by three wickets at Adelaide.

It seems the pink ball is advantageous for pace bowlers due to its ability to swing more and, at night, with batsmen having to make a sudden adjustment to the artificial stadium lights, more wickets tend to fall. However, there have been high-scoring games as well, so it may not seem like only the bowlers will thrive. Even so, many countries have been reluctant to play with the pink ball, especially day-night matches and even India have agreed only quite late to at least try it out in local matches.

So do you think tomorrow's Test match will be likely one where a pace bowler will dominate and help his team to win? Or do you think the star batsmen of both teams are up to the challenge to face swings and get plenty of runs on the board?
    A real battle between the top class bowlers and perfect batsmen. The performance of the Indian team on Day 1 either with the bat or with the ball, will indicate all of us how they are going to play this series. Both the teams are having world-class batsmen. They can face any type of bowling if they really bring their hearts on to the bat. But we don't know how many of India batsmen will concentrate and apply themselves and bat. If they succumb to pressure and get out easily, it will be a big blow to India. Similarly how much effective our batsmen on this field in the day and night teat match also and how they run between the two wickets is also a big point.
    I feel definitely batsmen will show their talent by negotiating the ball intelligently and cautiously. I wish the Indian team all the best.

drrao
    always confident

Let it be any ball. The ball is common for all. Advantage and disadvantage will be for both the teams. But a new ball will be problematic for all. Wickets may fall. If it is a new experience with the new ball in this match, it would be normal in the next series. Indians can take on any ball. And I am sure India will win this series.
    No life without Sun

Australia will win this match and beat India comprehensively in all departments. Smith has a sore back how he will bat tomorrow will be a big question remained in the match. Coming to day-night matches ball will swing more at night times than Afternoon.
    Probability a theory based on Assumptions and Negativity(Elimination). It is used in the evolution of atomic theory.--- Bhushan

Pink ball and artificial lights are paradises for the seam bowlers. And, I personally think Mitchell Starc and Mohammed Shami will have a great match. Mitchell Starc had already shown his skill with the pink cherry and with his searing pace will pose great difficulty to Indian Batters. From our side, Shami could make most of this condition. Shami has his special ability to skid the ball and in the evening under the artificial lights, this ability will pay off highly.
    This will be an important test of Virat Kohli too as he always performs well in Australia but this time the scenario is slightly different because he will not play the rest of the series so, he will be under pressure to live up to the expectations.

Unbelievable! Not only will the players in the dressing room be shell-shocked, but so will millions of fans. India's bowling attack showed spunk, dismissing their opponents on the second day itself. Then, good grief, what happened?! From a possible winning position, the batsmen caved in, to the duo of Cummins and Hazelwood, with three ducks to show out of the dismal 36 runs on the board. Captain Tim Paine, though, deservedly got the Player of the Match award for his unbeaten knock of 73. He also took five wickets to ably support the bowling attack.

Where does Team India go from here? Will Shami play after retiring hurt? Will the team management still persist with Shaw as the opener? If not, who will open the batting? Who will come in place of Virat Kohli? Will Rahane be able to inspire the team to recover from the back foot and come back into the series with a win? Lots of questions to be answered!

Do you think constantly playing in one-day formats of the game has spelt doom for Test skills?

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Madam, Tim Paine is a Wicket-keeper he held the catches and well supported by his bowlers (by taking those catches). Coming to the Performance of this Match I also stunned by the Performance of Aussie bowling I thought today they(Aussie bowlers) will come back strongly but I never expect they will give such a strong dose to their opponents. Anyhow this match is done and dusted. I think 4-0 is on the cards. Is there any change in Ajinkya's(Mumbaikar) batting form when he is captaining the side? this is the only question that remained in the Series. Who knows... Cricket is an unpredictable game will this statement come again into the headlines... But to me, Aussie will cakewalk to win the series...
    Probability a theory based on Assumptions and Negativity(Elimination). It is used in the evolution of atomic theory.--- Bhushan

Bhushan,

I am well aware that the Aussie captain keeps wickets. That is why I said he gave good support. A sloppy person behind the batsman's stumps who is not alert to the swing of the ball and the edges off the bat is not going to be of any use, is he? You do seem to have a bee in the bonnet against Team India in every cricket series they play, rooting for the opposition always!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

He(Tim Paine) also took five wickets (Catches). As I am not that good at English as you. I will always talk close to reality and will be a bitter pill of Indian cricket fans and patriotic like you.

That was really disappointing for the million of the Indian fans who were expecting good stuff by the batsmen of India but they all failed to show their performance and created a history by making the lowest ever score in an inning by a team in test match.
    Sanjeev

" The two most important days in your life are the day when you are born and the day you find out why? "
    – Mark Twain

My apologies, Bhushan; my English was incorrect. A bowler takes wickets, the wicketkeeper takes catches. I wrongly put the word 'wickets' instead of 'catches'. That was a good "catch" by you!

Thank you madam for accepting the mistake and correcting yourself. When I was young(I saw even Gavaskar, Madanlal, and Amarnath when playing cricket) ladies had very little knowledge about cricket but by seeing your cricketing knowledge I really stunned.

The batting should be different in test matches and batsmen should give maximum thrust to keep their wickets intact. But unfortunately, our batsmen are still in T20 cricket only and they are forgetting the technicalities of test match batting. They should learn by seeing the videos of our great players if yesteryears like Gavaskar, Visvanath and Dravid. The skill of the batsman will be known only when they play in test matches. All Indian cricket fans are really disappointed.
    drrao
    always confident

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.