You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What would have happened if I had continued the conversation?

Members,
    I am a Flipkart customer. Today, one guy called my number and spoke to me in Hindi. He asked me whether I have ordered items through Flipkart. I said 'Yes'. Then he said in Hindi, "Flipkart ne lottery nikalaa. Us mem aapko puraskar mila hai." Knowing that it is a fake call for a foul-play, I disconnected the line immediately with a feeling that by keeping the line on, my phone information could be stolen by the hackers.

Members, Let me know. Had I continued with my conversation with that guy, what would have happened? Have you had any such experience in the past? Please let us know.
    Since you suspected the conversation and the caller. you should have prolonged and taken action to call him at home and should have caught red handed with he help by alerting the neighbors. Now a days the online frauds are more and many are planning new ways to cheat the people but there are laws and means to nab them once alerted to the cyber police. What I feel that the delivery boys are giving the feed to the unsocial elements to indulge in such practices as they know the topography of your place, the persons living at home and how to escape in case of danger. The hooligans are using all kinds of information from the delivery boys and thus we should be alert and should not talk to them at all. Why the delivery boy need to converse except to verify the addressee and that is also done through the OTP verification
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I appreciate your alertness of mind and happy to note that you nipped the bud in the beginning itself. This is happening with so many people nowadays because some clever, smart, and intelligent online criminals are making people fool as many gullible people fall in that trap. This has become a profession for some people that they take some information from the person in the name of the lottery or some assured gift and then cheat him. The modus operandi is very simple but honest and gullible people will not be able to understand those methods.

It has happened with me also a few times and for the benefit of all I would like to share one of that here. A few years back I got a call from a person who told me that he is calling from RBI crime cell (?) and they are doing some clandestine check up of people and their debit cards and will catch some frauds by screening the information and they are asking this to everyone and if I tell that to him he will send a letter of appreciation for helping the Govt of India in that noble work. I was very unhappy to hear that but I somehow controlled myself and told him that he should search some respectful job and should not do these things because if he gets arrested by cyber police then he will not get bail even. He immediately hang up.

Knowledge is power.

You received a call, he spoke in Hindi, he told you about your winning a lottery, you doubted and disconnected the call, matter is closed. This is one aspect.
    Another aspect is- since you are a regular customer of Flipkart. Giving any prize is not a big issue for regular customers. You could continue to know what exactly he was proposing. You could ask him physical or postal address. You have his phone number. There is no danger until you are asked to provide him bank account details. If you found him fishy you would inform police and cyber-cell would do further investigation. There is no issue of call-hacking.

Thank you Araffatuzzafar for your suggestion. Since you have assured no call-hacking, I shall follow your advice if I happen to receive any such calls in the future.

Let us also hear from other members, about such an online fraud experience.

No life without Sun

Members here had once advised me about how to avoid unknown callers by blocking them through Truecaller. This was really the best advice I've got to avoid nuisance spammers and other unwanted calls. If a number is unfamiliar to me, I con't answer and check it out on Truecaller which will show the source (the name or the business). Then I can opt to block it always and mark it as spam.

I would not suggest you ask anything if you get a call again. Just ignore it. What is worrying is how does he know you ordered products from Flipkart? It could be some delivery person who is aware of it and trying for a quick scam. I think what you should do is to report it to Flipkart directly, informing them about the call and giving the contact number. It may help to prevent other customers, especially elderly persons who can be fooled into believing it, from getting duped. Do lodge a complaint.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

These days we are hearing many such incidents where some are trying to cheat the people. So people are becoming more alert and discontinuing talking to the other person and putting off the phone. I think this is a better option. If you receive a gift from Flipkart, But the other person never told you directly but he asked first whether you purchased any items from Flipkart. Why is he bothered about it? He might have directly told you that he is from Flipkart and he might have told you about the gift. So I feel the call is not genuine. I feel you did a good thing only. Even though you continued the talk and asked him to come home also he might not have come He might have asked some more details once you are confident about the other person and continued the talk.
    These days we all should be careful and should not give the details like Aadhar number, PAN Number, OTP and other details to unknown purposes.

drrao
    always confident

If the call is coming from some unknown source and unknown number then it is better to ignore that and not to entertain. Nowadays many people are using the mobile facility for duping the people.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

The writer has handled this matter very wisely, for which I appreciate you. In most cases, the caller appears to be a professional and gives solid reasons for calling the customer. After falsely pretending that the customer is making a safe call, the caller gets private information and confidential data from him/her. Fraudsters or scamsters keep on searching for new ways to cheat people. As a precaution, the true caller app should always be kept on the mobile to make it easier to identify the unknown number.

@SuN:

You can immediately check if your phone has been compromised, or if your calls, messages etc have been forwarded without your knowledge. All you need to do is dial a few USSD codes - ##002#, *#21#, and *#62# from your phone.

##002# - If your voice call or data call, or SMS call has been forwarded, dialling this USSD code will erase them.

*#21# - By dialling this USSD code, you would get to know if your calls have been diverted somewhere else or not.

*#62# - With this, you can know if any of your calls - voice, data, fax, SMS etc, has been forwarded or diverted without your knowledge.

Dear Arafatuzzafar,
    Very Many Thanks. You have shared a valuable information. I checked and verified the code. They are very useful to ensure that our phone is safe. This codes should be noted by our ISC members, and used whenever they receive suspicious calls.

No life without Sun

Appreciation to Arafatuzafar for sharing the useful information on how to get benefited through dialing the USSD codes and that seems to be easy and benefiting.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Once my email password was compromised. I was changing my password on yahoo mail but I took a minute or so, in the meantime, someone from Guangzhou(China) changed my password and hacked my email ID. He was playing with me but I remained on the line. I tried my best to recover but the hacker was a smart guy then I sent a message to Help Desk of yahoo mail. They immediately blocked my account and asked me to re-login after 24 hours. And I recovered my email account.

• Sign In to post your comments