You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Can you talk your regional language fluently and write perfectly without mistakes?

With the advent of English medium schools from LKG onwards in the present generations, we find most of them can't talk their regional language fluently and write out without any mistakes. People of older generations used to study in Telugu medium up to 10th class or even up to Degree level. Then people have a grip on their local language. As I am an old-timer I had a good grip on my local language both in speaking and writing. Even our local Telugu people going around places like the USA are learning Telugu books as a subject, learning traditional music, learning poems, etc. But people who live in places are neglecting their own language and running after foreign language. If it continues several generations like this our traditional local scripts and local languages will become redundant. Members, please express your views on this issue.
    I agree with the author that one must have full command over his mother tongue or regional language. But I don't think that English can ever supersede mother tongue or regional language because its roots are ingrained deep in our mind and heart. A baby opens his eyes listening to the mother tongue. All the beauty quite instinctively get housed in his entire character as a human being. However, if in any home even parents converse in English instead of regional language and also child studies in an English medium school, in this situation over the time he may be detached from regional language.
    Many ethnic groups and sects keep their regional language alive. Wherever they live around the globe they teach their small children their regional language, as the Punjabi language can never die as long as a single Punjabi exists on this planet.

In our times during our primary education we studied in Hindi medium and in fact our English learning (starting from A, B, C, D ..) started from class VI. It may look surprising today but it is a fact. So I am naturally fluent in my regional language that is Hindi and can do work in that proficiently. Later I learned English in due course and had to do a great deal of efforts to get whatever proficiency today I have able to gather. It was difficult but due to my interest in writing I could make it happen. Today the situation is such that in addition to the regional language one has to have knowledge of the English language.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

We could chase the British but not their English. I started learning ABCD formally from class VI only. And the medium of instruction was only Tamil upto SSLC. English was only a subject to learn. Therefore, I have fluency in Tamil and I can write Tamil without any mistake. I passed English test with rout learning, not with complete understanding of the language and the grammar. I could develop my English speaking and writing ability only after getting into a job where English was essential for communication.

Now there is a change in education policy. One has to learn regional language upto class V compulsorily. This will ensure to have fluency in their regional language and to write without any mistake. If one can regularly read their regional language newspapers, magazines, novels etc, they would be able to write in their language without mistake.

No life without Sun

Yes, I can speak and write in my regional language Bengali but it is true that nowadays parents focus more on learning English. Since English is used widely in most of the official communications, I feel one should have a fair understanding of the language but not at the cost of one's Mother Tongue. We can think of English as a common language used for all types of communication so that when people from various regions speaking various languages meet they can interact with one another using the common language. Every region has its own culture and tradition and regional language is an integral part of it. Remaining unique is important. If everybody behaves in the same way and speaks the same language that uniqueness will not be there and life will be dull. I think learning different languages is always interesting and will help one to understand the tradition and culture associated with the language. One must respect their Mother Tongue and interact in it with their native people and should use any other language while interacting with people who are from a different region speaking a different language.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

I am good at my local language that is Telugu. I can read old epics also and I can understand the poems written by the poets of olden days also. I am good at grammar and even I can write Telugu Poems. I have written 100 poems and I am in the process of getting it printed. I love Telugu and I worship Telugu. I worship our traditions.
    English is a universal language and as these days we are all moving to different places and interacting with different people there may be a necessity and we should learn English also, But that will not say that we have to ignore our local language. We should learn both languages. I feel we should also have some minimum knowledge of Hindi as many people in our country speak Hindi and when we want to interact with them we have to learn that also. That is why I always prefer three language formula. But we should not force any language on any person against his interest.

drrao
    always confident

Though my mother tongue is Tamil but born , brought up and settled in Hyderabad for the past 65 years when our parents came here from Kumabakonam. By virtue of my close contacts with the locals of all the three regions namesly Telangana, Andhra and Rayalaseema, I am well versed to talk and converse with ease in all the three dialects. But unfortunately I cannot read or write in that language which I felt not that important. However most feel totally convinced and even asked me I belong to their place. One should have the perfection of language where they live and that is must.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

We should have proficiency in our regional language. As regards English, it is a compulsion to learn because it is related to our job and career. There is no escaping from that but as one can mange without the knowledge of local language so that is the reason why many of us are taking it casually. A person should at least know two languages and can have more if he has interest in learning more languages. So it is necessary that we should give some time for our regional language also like reading magazines and books in it and encourage our children also to do that. It is really a shameful thing if we are not able to converse and read in our own regional language. We should feel pride in talking in that.
    Knowledge is power.

For every person, his regional language has its own different importance, after all, we grow with the same language, then our knowledge and command on that language is nature comes to us but still it is seen that we make grammatical mistakes in our local language also. We seem to be a small mistake because in speaking in a regional language such mistakes are looking small, but if we talk about writing, then the use of grammar should be used properly while writing. I do not have any problem both in speaking and writing in my regional language, but the increasing importance of English today, in spite of not wanting it is keeping us somewhat away from our regional language.

I am a Bengali but born and brought up in Bihar. Now I am staying in Delhi due to my husband's posting, who is actually from Kolkata. I studied in a Missionary school, where English and Hindi both were compulsory. Still, I learnt Bengali because of my father's willingness and effort. I can read and speak it without any hesitation. I can write also, but my writing is amateurish and at times fumble a bit in spelling. I am thankful to my father for making me learn Bengali. He used to say that one must know his/her mother tongue well. Without fail, my father used to buy a new Bengali alphabet book known as Varna Parichy written by Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar before every summer vacation as somehow it got misplaced by me after the vacation got over. The knowledge of Bengali has helped me to read and understand the Bengali literature of the great Bengali writers. I can enjoy Bengali songs without any difficulty. I feel quite enriched.

The same I practise with my son. He is growing up in Delhi, but I have made him learn Bengali. He is fluent in speaking, no problem in understanding, he can read too but a little hesitant while he is not comfortable writing in Bengali.

My personal experience says that knowing the mother tongue is always a boon in every respect.

shampasaid

• Sign In to post your comments