You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Bhupendar Singh Mann resigns from the committee.

Bhartiya Kisan Union's national president Bhupinder Singh Mann has stepped down from the Supreme Court-appointed committee to look into the Centre's contentious farm laws, saying he did not wish to "compromise farmers' interests". His decision came a day ahead of the next round of talks between the government and the farmers. The matter will now go back to the court for further orders.  

In a press releas he said: "As a farmer myself and a Union leader, in view of the prevailing sentiments and apprehensions amongst farm unions and the public in general, I am ready to sacrifice any position offered or given to me so as not to compromise the interests of Punjab and farmers of the country."
    He is one of the few farm union leaders to have come out in support of the Centre's new farm laws. He was part of a group of farmers that met Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Tomar in December.
    Farmers have been questioning credibility and impartiality of this committee since it has been constituted. Tremendous pressure on him could be the reason of his resignation. Some people are saying that he has been sacked from BKU.
    It is good that he resigned. What I sincerely recommend is - The Supreme court should form a large committee of members representing each and every state of India. It would be 29 in number. If done, there won't be any room for complaint from any quarter of India.
    No life without Sun

I also feel he resigned because of the pressure on his head. He may be getting pressurised in many ways. I don't think the decision of the supreme court to appoint a committee may not do anything. We have to wait and see how the events will take a turn.
    drrao
    always confident

When a person is nominated for such an important position than it is his duty to participate in an unbiased way. If he feels that he will not be able to do justice in this matter due to reasons best known to him then it is better that he quits. Let some strong person come who has no bias in his mind and will help the committee on logical and rational grounds in finding some amicable solution.
    Knowledge is power.

What I feel that the govt is on the right track with the farm laws and the committee appointed by the SC may not serve the purpose and the members of the committee are the staunch supporters of the farmers and it is the foregone conclusion that the recommendations would be pro farmers only. But what is the fact here to be remembered that the farms laws have become the legal legislation duly following the rules and passed by the highest body of Parliament and signed by the President. Therefore the SC has the compulsion to respect the farm laws. It can how ever give recommendations to govt to consider the new suggestions from the committee members. But having one member already resigned the committee has become weak and the others are going to make same pitch of farmers demand and that comes to back zero.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

@K.Mohan:
    "the committee appointed by the SC may not serve the purpose and the members of the committee are the staunch supporters of the farmers and it is the foregone conclusion that the recommendations would be pro farmers only"

Where you get it from?
    Perhaps you don't know about these members of the committee and what are their views about farm bills.?

• Sign In to post your comments