You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Tolerating our mistakes means we are doing good job

In the office the immediate boss or the head of the company would some times chide us for the mistakes made and later they reconcile and even ask to pardon as they chided in the fit of anger Actually those who are tolerating our mistakes often has indirectly approving our progress in the department or the office and thus we are becoming more rigorously get trained in the process and that is noticed by others who are well behind. Next time when your boss tolerates your mistake feel happy that you are in progress and in the good books of management.
    Mistakes occur inadvertently, initially, mistakes may be overlooked but if mistakes begin to create problem for smooth functioning of the concerned department employees should be called to book. Every employee should be alert about mistake. If he focuses on his work, there is least chance of committing mistake but if someone is careless about his duty he will commit mistake. If any boss or senior officer does not mind mistakes, I think he is too much kindhearted.

A manager has dual role to play. He has to bang the employee if the employee does a mistake and also appreciate him for the good work. Generally good managers will adopt a different scheme while dealing with the employee. They know that human beings are sentimental and may feel once the bad words spoken to them at times when they do mistakes in their assignments. So banging and cursing is to be reserved only for extreme occasions and till then the manager has to go by the rule of the average. What is the rule of the average and how does it work? It is very simple. The manager will make a threshold that if the employee is doing mistake less then 5% times in his assignments or jobs then there is no need to bang him and a soft gentle sentence indicating that mistake would suffice. For those who are doing mistakes 10-15% times, it is time to bang them occasionally. They must realise their follies. For others which are known as hopeless cases that is doing mistakes often, the continuous banging or sending them for some improvement programme is the only way to bring them in line and the last recourse always available is to expel them.
    Knowledge is power.

Mistakes may be committed due to ignorance of certain rules.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

No efficient boss will ever tolerate mistakes that will cause any kind of harm to the organisation. Inadvertent mistakes may be pardoned once or twice so as to give the employee a chance to correct himself but repeated mistakes and those that appear intentional will (should) never be pardoned.

Mohan, you are wrong in concluding that your boss pardons your mistakes because you are doing a good job. I don't think any good boss will close his eyes to the mistakes of his subordinates just because they are doing a good job. Not committing mistakes is as important as doing a good job. It would not be in the interests of the organisation to link the two.

The author appears to have hit upon this idea based on some isolated experiences or perceptions but I think he has got it all wrong. We can't, at least, generalise this thought process.

'To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge.'-Confucius

If a boss shouts on his subordinate it can't be taken as progress. He should take it as a warning and should be more alert. He should think about why the boss scolded him/her. He should get the point and see that he will not do mistakes again and again. If you do the same mistake again the warning will be more severe and repeating again may cost your job also. So I think we should not think that they are tolerating us as we are doing better. I know many people who lost their jobs as they are not able to perform as expected from them and there is no improvement even after giving some warnings.
    drrao
    always confident

Warnings and mistakes are different. Only thing is repeated mistakes should not be done.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I do not think that a boss will tolerate the mistakes done by a subordinate. In fact they would be waiting for an opportunity to bang the employee so that a climate of fear is generated. Of course all bosses will not be like that as some are having humanitarian considerations also. I think we have to do our work sincerely and accept our mistake at the first place itself before we are told about it in a harsh voice.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Are you going to tolerate the mistakes of others and if you tolerate can I conclude that they have done a good job? It cannot be a good job since there are some mistakes. A mistake is always a mistake and however good may be the relation between the employee and the boss this mistake has to be pointed out. Pointing out the mistake doesn't mean to shout at the subordinate or abuse her/him in front of others. It can also be pointed out politely. If the mistakes are not pointed out you will never know it was a mistake and the same thing will be repeated again. If somebody overlooks your mistake don't think you are in the good book of that person. Instead, I would say the person is not efficient enough to find out what is correct and what is a mistake. A job that has some mistakes cannot be said a good job so better to get rid of such ideas.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Our mistakes are condoned, overlooked or not taken seriously based on certain reasons, conditions and contexts.

If the mistake was an inadvertent one happening and it did not have any serious unfavourable impact on the overall matter and we had been consistently good at our job, our boss would take a lenient , humanitarian view and simply ignore it.

But if we are not so efficient and keep making mistakes frequently, even if not serious, our superiors may not condone them nor tolerate them. If they judge us as sincere, dedicated and hardworking, but not so efficient, they may try to correct us by helping and guiding. But if we are not receptive to corrections and neglect corrective suggestions and advice, they will not tolerate.

However there is a responsibility on our part to be very careful when we know that our boss depends on our work and he trusts us. Then the responsibility is double and we have to be doubly careful and efficient, as our mistakes may land our superior also in problems.

• Sign In to post your comments