You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Will petrol hike lead to positive health consciousness?

Mr Modi and his entire team are the subjects of thousands of memes in Tamil on social media. These are outright very funny. Yet, some are thought-provocative as well.

For example, many are based on the concept of walking up to five kilometres to save on petrol or using cycles for short-distances. Since both these activities are good for health, will this possibly become a way of the future, more so when, after the elections to the State assemblies in May, the petrol prices are expected to cost more than Rs110 per litre, according to some experts?

In any case, carpool may happen even more and there could be many more service providers who will work on low-profit margins but huge volumes by offering such services.

What will the common man do now?
    This may not be possible. The lifestyles of the people changed. People are becoming health-conscious and taking care of their bodies. For transportation, a majority will prefer a vehicle for a short distance of 5 km. With so much traffic on the roads, going by walk is also not good. Many accidents are happening to morning walkers on the roads in the morning time.
    The Government of India and State Governments may be forced to reduce excise duty and VAT on petroleum products. As of now, there are no severe protests but in the future, it will a subject which all the other political parties may want to exploit. Carpooling may be possible in big cities but not in towns.

" Be Good and Do Good "

When the affordances of the people or the buying power of the mass remains same the govt need not worry about decrease in usage of petrol as thought by the author. In fact petrol consumption is going to be high as new vehicles are sold and old vehicles are taken off the road and this gives rise to more demand. Yes austerity measures need to start and that would bring in saving of petrol and saving for the country. But given the condition the youth are using the vehicles more as they are fascinated by new models and wants to have friendly drives of long distance often which gives rise more usage of petrol. Even for fetching milk and vegetables which is in walk-able distance, the people are preferring the vehicles because they need not waste the time on walking two and fro and the same time can be utilized better.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The bicycle should be declared as a National Vehicle and people should be encouraged to use it within the city. Vehicles should be banned in the cities for common use. What will happen then? Cycling will bring down the level of air pollution as well as noise pollution in cities, no need to say that cycling is good for health.
    Let the price hike continue we will not be affected. Those who don't have a bicycle will purchase it or will prefer to walk on foot. I hope soon it will change into a fashion of the day, especially, celebrities should encourage people to use a bicycle for travelling or walking on foot.

India is the country where petrol and diesel price are skyrocketing day after day. But there are countries where sold at a low price and we likely to astonish by seeing these prices
    In Venezuela petrol is sold at Rs. 1.50, in Iran Rs.4.49, Angola 17.82, Algeria Rs.25.15, Kuwait Rs.25.25, Sudan Rs.27.52, Nigeria Rs.31.61. Kazakhstan, Qatar, Turkmenistan etc. also will have similar low prices.The reason for this is high tax regime in India while so many other countries are not imposing such high taxes like India.India is relatively poor country, why our governments imposing such high taxes on daily needs of common man?

Time is more important for people these days than money. They think that by spending 100 rupees they can earn more than that. We have seen the people walking more and more when the money circulation is less and when there are no facilities. But slowly the usage of vehicles increased. The fuel rates are constantly increasing but usage is also increasing simultaneously. I have never witnessed a decrease in consumption except during COVID 19 lockdown.
    I am not thinking that people will stop using vehicles. It is good for the environment also in addition to improve the health of the individual. If carpooling, bicycle using and public transportation using etc. increases we will see a dip in the pollution and we will have a better environment.
    Presently I am staying in my native place. In this place, 2 years before the number of motorcycles were about 200 nos. Today each house in the village is having a motorcycle and there will be a minimum of 1000 motorcycles in this village. Seeing growth I feel there will not be any reduction in the usage of these vehicles.

drrao
    always confident

India is a thickly populated country with thickly populated vehicles. Most of the Indians are misusing the fuel where they could save the fuel. Even for a pee or a loo they move in their vehicles. I am sure, if they are really affected by the fuel price hike, they would realise and reduce the use of their vehicles for unnecessary purposes. But I don't think anyone is affected by the fuel price hike. Like the petrol cost, the salary of the middle class and labour class also increasing substantially.

Supposing a government employee with a salary of Rs. 20000/-(Minimum) uses 10 litres of petrol every month. At the rate of Rs. 90/- per litre, he would spend Rs. 900/- for petrol. If the petrol price is increased to Rs. 100/- he would spend Rs. 1000/-. It is just Rs. 100/- only And his salary is increased once in six months by 2 percent. His salary hikes from 20,000/- to Rs, 20400/-. From his Rs.400/- increase, he spends only Rs.100/-towards the fuel cost. Where is the loss? While everything is on an increase, why should we think about a decrease in fuel rates only?

Therefore, no one will choose to walk or cycle, despite any increase in fuel rate. Any health-conscious person would prefer to walk or cycle despite increase or decrease in fuel price.

No life without Sun

With the growth of more bikes, new brand cars and latest design of scooties, I don't think the pattern of consumption of petrolium products would take a dip. The young generations are always seen with the bikes even though the distance to be covered is hardly three to four kilometres. In fact, the pricing of the petrolium product is not the important consideration for them, they want to save their timing with drive of their bikes. Though the old generations would prefer to restrict to their movements with the bikes, the young generations would continue their driving in a more aggressive ways. Hence pattern of consumption is not likely to come down.

The author seems to have put-up a satire on the current central government for the increased fuel prices. Few others have also come-up with the similar things like,

"The bicycle should be declared as a National Vehicle" etc.

But I would like to clarify one thing here that we Indians are brand oriented and we take pride in what other nations do other then what we are comfortable with. We are those of unique kind that when the onion prices goes-up than the elected government sees the defeat. We have developed a unique tendency wherein we believe in show-off no matter what our economical position is. Even politicians have understood us by bringing policies that will write-off the electricity bills and will also allow free bus travels for woman because they know this will surely work for them in winning elections.

Just for the information, I am not being satirical here and also, we do not need a logic to prove that if we do physical work then we are more prone to good health with increased immunity system and less prone to the diseases but at the same time I do not have information of those who got more money to spend.

Generally, these hikes have nothing to do with health because there are people in our county who will not stop using petrol even if it becomes costlier. If we go in the root of this problem then media is unnecessary giving it importance. The price rise in one of the items can always happen and had happened in past so many time. It is not a new thing. What is important is that the average price index of the commodities in the market and if that is increasing alarmingly then it is a serious matter. The Govt will take corrective measures and this petrol price rise would be corrected soon. Another important point is that the lower middle class and lower class both do not use vehicles (if they have it) even if the petrol price goes down to Rs 40-50 per litre. They will prefer to walk only for 2-3 km as that is nothing new for them. Vehicle is to be used only when time is a constraint.
    Knowledge is power.

Now a days a plumber, an electrician, a private school teacher, a person living in a poor house, a farmer, a bill collector, a courier person is also having a bike. The bike is so important for them otherwise they can't carry and attend their duty in time. In big towns and cities it is not easy to do their daily activities for anyone by travelling by an auto or city bus or metro service as it is time consuming and costly. People who are always thinking about political chauvinism will talk about funny health issues.

@Ved Prakash Anand:
    No, I didn't intend to satire. What you have inferred from 'bicycle should be declared as a national vehicle ' I did not mean it. You understood wrongly.

• Sign In to post your comments