You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How does the Gujju vegetarian food differ from the Rajasthani food?

In the Chennai Parry's Corner area, a very business district, there are a number of North Indian vegetarian restaurants where one gets the Gujarathi veg thali and the Rajasthani varieties. I have tasted both but found the Gujju variety resembles the Mumbai variety of vegetarian food, in terms of taste. The Rajasthani food is a little spicier, in my opinion. When I asked them the names of the side dishes they did tell me, but I was not able to understand anything. It just happened that I enjoyed the stuff.

Members who know the delicate difference between the two, and the names of at least one famous vegetarian side dish on either side, may please provide details. I can try that out the next time.

And in places like Vijayawada, where am likely to visit after a while, please do mention the name of a good restaurant where I can have a good vegetarian Gujju or Rajasthani meal.
    Sivakumar, when you get irritated if people from the North refer to you as a Thambi or Madrasi, why do you prefer to term the people from Gujarat as Gujjus (please do not pretend ignorance now). Please remember that you have been suggested and indirectly warned against using such classifications while posting content here. I could have edited and corrected your adventure or could have deleted your thread but since such actions do not seem to be having any positive effect, I am taking this opportunity to tell you openly that it is not acceptable. Please be careful in future.

Coming to your thread, the diversity in our culture is reflected in our cuisines also. No two regions will be preparing food in the same manner. For example, the sambhar preparation in Tamil Nadu is different from the one in other parts of south India. Similarly, the different varieties of food prepared in Rajasthan will be different, though some similarities cannot be overruled, from the ones that are prepared in Gujarat because of the difference in the ingredients they use and also the way it is done.

Hope you will be cautious and ethical enough to term the people from Gujarat as Gujaratis next time around. Let us learn to respect each other.

'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

East or west, home is best. When we have the tasty dishes from Tamilnadu itself, why do you search for a Gujarathi or Rajasthani dish in AndhraPradesh. If you really love eating, you should spend money and go to Gujrat and Rajasthan to enjoy the original taste of the dishes of that land. If you google the name of the Gujarat and Rajasthan dishes, you would get the right name of those dishes. Anyway, I like Gujarat and Rajasthan sweets, not the meals.
    No life without Sun

Sai Sir, am very sorry. Even my dearest Gujarati friends in Coimbatore refer to other Gujarati friends as Gujjus. So, I mentioned the same word. Next time, I will be careful. Now, I just wanted to know the names of the veg dishes. There is a subtle difference in taste. I just wanted to know the difference. Let me see if anyone knows the finer details.

Vijayawada is a very famous place for tasty Andhra Food. You can taste a variety of South Indian dishes here. Even a medium-sized hotel also will serve you a portion of tasty food. But I doubt very much whether you will get tasty Gujarathi food in this town. A special attraction of food in this town is Perasarattu and Upma. Many hotels call it MLA pesarattu. If you have any liking for such varieties you can try that in Vijayawada in any hotel.
    drrao
    always confident

Gujarati and Rajasthani food are more spicy and more variety. I have tasted both dishes and found that to much importance for roti is given and not the rice. At Dhola ri dhani place in Hyderabad the tourists are treated to Rajasthani authenticated food and what I tasted is the small variety of rotis like papad size. And Gujarthi thalis are grand and they have the dall in very liquid form with more rotis of big size in the plate. . But the thali ends with the sweet lassi or the hard curd which can be taken as lassi by adding sugar.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

These two states have much similarity in their food items and both are popular across our country. I have taken these food items in these states itself when I visited there during my active service life and I do not perceive any conspicuous difference between them except for the fact that the Rajasthani food might contain a bit of more chillies. Within these states also there are subtle differences in them as per the type of items and their spread and preparation and in fact each region in these states is famous for certain preparations. The basic idea of their presentation is to give a number of items to the customer along with some sweet items and the number of items is sometimes so large that it is difficult to decide as which one to take and which one to leave as all are equally tasty. A Gujarati or Rajasthani thali is a foodie's delight. It is also a great break from our usual home food which is generally not so spicy and limited to a few items. In our country the 'Chokhi Dhani' series of Rajasthani restaurants are quite popular and one can try to go to them as they are there in most of the big cities.

In Vijayawada, some of the good places for Gujarati / Rajasthani food are - R R Durbar, Sri Anjaneya Fast Foods & Family Restaurant, Rajasthani Roti Phulka Point, Ganesha Restaurant, Balaji Rajasthani Dhaba etc.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments