You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Did you ever think of our exam pattern?

Are exam patterns such that students get encouraged to avoid studying the entire syllabus and, instead, focus on it in bits and pieces? Share your academic experiences in studying a particular subject or subjects.

I am a busy woman who has to take care of the family and I have a two year old child. I also work as a teacher in a private school. I am pursuing my Master's degree from IGNOU. In this busy schedule, I hardly get time for my studies. So I try to follow all the shortcuts to get through the exam. Here, let me explain to you my exam pattern.

For a subject like British novels, I have to study about eight novels and I will be asked eight questions, one each from these novels. I have to attempt any five questions which carry 20 marks each. So if I only learn the five of the easiest ones from my syllabus, I can simply get the maximum marks. I think almost all the exams are following a similar choice-based exam pattern. The question is, after my education, if I want work as a JL, then with this incomplete knowledge will I be able to do justice to my job?

Not only me, but almost all students do this during their education. They give it a name, 'smart work', instead of hard work that is put in by studying the full subject. Is this fair? Are we gaining full knowledge? Are the post graduates or graduates really aiming to be complete graduates with this half knowledge? Do we need a change in the exam pattern too?

Please share your opinions regarding this.
    Sorry, there is a spelling mistake here. I am not getting option to edit my message.

You have very nicely mentioned the actions which many of the students are actually doing. Limited studies and maximising the results. When you are sure that questions will be there from each section or chapter then it makes sense to do that. In our times, there was risk in doing so as it was not fixed as from which chapter how many questions would be there and we time to time, made some guess work only to lose miserably in the examination. Selective study can help in passing an examination but it cannot get us good score. But when one does not have sufficient time for studies we do not have many options in the academic pursuits.
    Knowledge is power.

When there is a set pattern in selecting the questions we may be able to understand which chapters we can study and which we can leave out. But when such a pattern is not there we can't take a chance. In our Intermediate and degree examinations, we use to get two questions also from the same chapter and no questions from some other chapters. So we were not having that chance of leaving one or two chapters. We were studying the syllabus completely.
    Now in some examinations, we have short answer questions and multiple-choice questions also in some examinations. We can't answer these questions unless otherwise we study the complete syllabus and understand the subject.
    Another important point is that one should cover the whole syllabus. Otherwise, we may not be able to get maximum percentage marks and may not get seats for next higher studies.

drrao
    always confident

Sometimes selective study may help in getting through but for getting a good score, selective study will not suffice. There is another dimension to this discussion. The student should not only think about clearing the exam in hand as he has to think for future also. He may have to appear in some competitive exam later and if he had left some chapters earlier during his academic career then it would be costly for him at that competitive juncture. So, it is advisable to go for the whole syllabus instead of sticking to a few chapters of one's choice to get through the exam.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments