You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

If there is an open exhibition of real secularism, it is this

India is a nation of so many faiths and religions. Even within the States, there are several communities and each of them has its own cultural practices. These are so different that right from weddings to praying to God or being open to change, there are not subtle differences. There are big differences.

Be that as it may, when the ace spinner from Tamil Nadu, Ravichandran Ashwin, who is now rated as the best in the world, notched up his fifth century at the Chepauk ground in Chennai, the open celebration of success by Mohammed Siraj, his partner at the other end, in front of so many cameras has simply melted the Chennai crowd. It is this sort of celebration that goes beyond caste or creed or religion.

Having studied at the world-class Loyola College, I have been taught to embrace people in a similar fashion when they express their joy. We were systematically trained to not discriminate against anyone on the basis of caste or creed or religion. Secularism can prevail and survive only if we are open-minded.

{Author to note- Edited}
    I am in a doubt as to why the author chose to highlight this incident. Just because the batsman who scored a century happens to be a Hindu and his partner at the other end happens to be a Muslim? Why can't we look at the celebrations just as a part of the game? A usual celebration by a partner in the game. I think such celebrations are common in any game.

On the one hand, the author speaks about not discriminating between religions and on the other he is, according to me, doing the same thing by highlighting the celebrations just because the players happened to be from two different beliefs. Doesn't it seem to be ironical? I say so because I don't think it would have made a topic for discussion if both the players belonged to the same faith.

'To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge.'-Confucius

An isolated incident has been blown up to the level of secularism by the author and that was also questioned by our lead editor and yet this thread stays. When the ISC felt that this thread was non relevant then it should have locked the same. Having allowed it let the discussion be on. Cricket is the game of all religion and it is the fact that India takes pride in such a arrangement. I do not think this incident be given such a hype by the author as if India has been down playing the Muslims contributions and they are appreciating the Hindus success.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Secularism is the essence of our country. India is famous and respectable for unity in diversity. Our constitution protects the rights of all citizens without any favour for any particular community. This quality elevates India 's status much higher than other countries. According to constitution there should not be any discrimination on the basis of religion, caste, creed, ideology, culture, colour, race, region, rituals etc.
    The author has given an example of two players who follow two different religions. This example may not appear appropriate but I think intention of the author is good and it should be appreciated.
    In this age secularism itself is a questionable issue and different people have different views about it.

Mohan, who said that the thread is irrelevant? Please read my response carefully.
    'To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge.'-Confucius

The player must have done this gesture surely knowing that it will hog the limelight and that does not mean supporting the secularism. Here the personal interest exits.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

#723748, it is this typical attitude that is giving rise to the call for securing the secularism guaranteed by our Constitution. Mohan, your remark that the player might have exhibited his excitement with an intention to hog the limelight is misconceived and uncalled for.

These things are commonly happening in many circles and not only in sports. When the first landing of rocket took place in Mars then the scientists and workers in NASA were embracing and handshaking each other irrespective of any cast. It is the joy and excitement which takes the precedence in such cases and not the caste or creed. So, what I feel is that actually difference and distinguishing material about these things is in our mind which is seeing it in that fashion or our interpretation of the things might not be prudent or rational to takeaway such a thing from these incidents.
    Knowledge is power.

It is normal to celebrate the success of a player of the team by all other players. Here I think all will see the game and the player only. No other point will be considered here. Many times we have seen such celebrations. All the players belong to a community called player community. They will not have any other things in mind. In IPL we are seeing players of one country celebrating the success of his team member who belongs to another country. At that moment they will never remember their nationality. They say they are all the same team members.
    drrao
    always confident

In sports or games players are never distinguished based on cast or community. It is their performance which matters and that is the only parameter for their survival in the national or international level teams. In fact their selection is made based on their performance only. So, it is not understandable as how this incident is a showcase for secular feelings. We must dissociate sports from religion.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments