You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Some longest words in English dictionary

When we see any word in English dictionary we catch it and try to use it when we write something like post or article but some words are found in dictionaries which even can't be read in three attempts. I have also seen some long words which are too difficult for me to remember . You might have seen them.

Here's how Merriam-Webster defines the ten longest words in the English language.

1. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters)

Pneumoconiosis caused by inhalation of very fine silicate or quartz dust.

2. Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (36 letters)

Ironically, Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is one of the longest work in the dictionary and is the name for a fear of long words!

3. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (34 letters)

Perhaps the best word of all! Made popular by the film Mary Poppins, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is something to say when you have nothing to say.

4. Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism (30 letters)

A relatively mild form of pseudohypoparathyroidism that is characterized by normal levels of calcium and phosphorus in the blood.

5. Floccinaucinihilipilification (29 letters)

The longest unchallenged nontechnical word that not all directories recognize, that including Merriam-Webster. According to alternative sources, floccinaucinihilipilification is the act or habit of describing or regarding something as unimportant, of having no value or being worthless. Often times, it is used in a humorous way.

6. Antidisestablishmentarianism (28 letters)

A term referring to a political movement in 19th century Britain that sought to separate church and state. In this case, political movement wanted to disestablish the Church of England as the official state church of England, Ireland and Wales.

7. Honorificabilitudinitatibus (27 letters)

The longest word in Shakespeare's works. Honorificabilitudinitatibus is the longest word in the English language featuring alternating consonants and vowels.

8. Thyroparathyroidectomized (25 letters)

A medical term that defines the excision of both the thyroid and parathyroid glands.

9. Dichlorodifluoromethane (23 letters)

A chlorofluoromethane CF2Cl2.

10. Incomprehensibilities (21 letters)

Impossible to comprehend. In the 1990's, incomprehensibilities set the record as the longest word "in common usage".
    Hello, thank you for sharing the longest words in English. These words are really difficult to remember and pronounce. These words are also not used for everyday purposes. However I have seen many TV shows where young children are participating in the competition where they are asked to pronounce these words. I must say that they remember and pronounce these long words.
    Regards
    Kamal

While the author must be appreciated for creating this thread to keep us informed about the longest words that appear in the dictionaries, what I feel that words should be user friendly and user writing. What is the use of such long words running in to so many letter which neither one remembers not we can write again. No doubt English is the wonderful langue and we can convey our views and matters in different way I feel these long words are never used nor anybody has the interest to popularize them. We are habituated to short cut methods of writing even through the social media and therefore there is a need for short words.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is a very interesting compilation presented by the author. I remember when I was doing my UG course, we were also searching these words for fun but at that time we only got one long word in probably Webster dictionary at that time and the word was - honourificabilitudinity (23). The strange thing was that it meant only - honour. So we always quoted it for fun and in fact enjoyed the existence of such long words. Many dictionaries do not reflect it specially the words related to some technical discipline like pharmaceuticals and like that.
    Knowledge is power.

To be frank, I have not come across any of these words except the fifth one ie 'floccinaucinihilipilification' which was in the news recently when Shashi Tharoor used it in one of his speeches and also the word 'incomprehensibilities', which, I think, must be the only one among the lot that is used more commonly.
    'To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge.'-Confucius

Thanks to the author. I never heard the above words and I never knew that such long words exist in the English language. He did a lot of homework to raise this thread and we should appreciate him for his work.
    drrao
    always confident

A joke I read in this connection. A teacher asked student to tell a long word in English. Student told,'smile'. Astonished reached asked how. Student replied there is a mile between two 's'.

These words must be there as the authentic ones but as they are not in the common use and that is why we are not ware of them. Actually the purpose of long words is to tell a long story in one word and if that is not happening then there is no use in making it popular as shorter options are already available and people are using them in all sort of writings and other official works where precise words for precise meanings are required.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments