You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is the history of the festival called Holi?

A couple of minutes ago, someone asked me about the history of the Holi festival. Despite being a part of the festival of colours for years when I lived in New Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad and even Ranchi for a short time, I really did not ask this question to those who knew the answer.

Coming back to this question, any Member who knows it's history would be able to answer this question. The one here was seemingly discussing the public holiday for Holi, which, am told, is round the corner.

In any case, it is nice to know the history behind the festival called Holi.

When I was studying in class 3rd I still remember there was a chapter about Holi in our Hindi book.

According to the story there was a cruel king. His name was Hirnakashyap. He was arrogant person. He ordered all people to worship him. His son was Prahalad. He was devotee to vishnu. He disregarded his order . So he decided to punish his own son. He ordered to lit Fire and ordered to burn Prahalad alive. King' s sister took Prahalad in her lap and sat in the fire.  She was wearing a special cloak which could protect her from fire and she kept Prahalad exposed to fire but she was burnt and the boy came out alive.

Later on the king was killed by a half man half lion creature with his paw.

It is said that since then holi is celebrated.

With the burning of Holika, sister of Hiranyakashyap, the beginning of the Holi festival is lost. It is said that along with the burning of Holika, we should also burn all our bars with it and then the next day Holi should be celebrated with colors, the message is that we have ended the evils of the past and now today Holi I will make my relationship with these beautiful colors colorful again. Forgetting all grievances and old saris, they will start a new one by forgiving everyone. Some people celebrate this festival forcefully with chemical colors, that is wrong because no festival allows us to hurt, someone, in any ways.

There are many stories and beliefs related to this Festival of Colours and you will be able to find detailed information in this article on Holi.
    'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

There are different stories behind this festival. But this festival was not very famous in South India in earlier days. Recently only people here started celebrating this festival. The spread took place from cities like Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad and then gone down to other cities and towns. Many villages in AP will not celebrate this festival even today also.
    As mentioned by the other members, HiranyaKasipa the father of Prahlada was creating havoc in the country and creating problems for the devotees of Lord Vishnu. His own son was a devotee of Vishnu. Oneday there was a big discussion between the son and the father. The father asked Prahalada where is Vishnu. Prahalada told that He is everywhere. Hiranyakashyapa wanted to see him on a pillar. Immediately Lord came out as Narasimha and killed the demon. From that time onwards people started celebrating this festival to celebrate the death of the demon.
    Holi is a festival of colours. We see people colouring others in different colours and enjoy.

drrao
    always confident

Thanks a lot for the information. However, as Rao Sir has said the celebration is largely done in Chennai and to some extent in some pockets of Coimbatore. People from the North in these two cities are quite a huge number and those who have business dealings with these people, also take part. However, when I worked with the organizations in different cities mentioned above, the festival called Holi was real fun and even old people, who were 75+, used to take an active part. I really wonder what happened to the nice friends. Lost touch with them over the years.

• Sign In to post your comments