You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General Instructions

Learn RAP - free tutorial at ISC

This is a free online tutoring program for all members that requires no registration fee and no tutorial fee. It only requires time and a sincere effort to learn. And no, it is not teaching RAP music.

Three simple steps-
    Read the topic, not just the title.
    Absorb what is conveyed. Read again a second time. If not understood, ask for clarity.
    Proceed to respond.

Do not-
    Rush through the text. Use a slow tempo of RAP.
    Add text already put in, whether your own or of somebodyelse.
    Proceed to exit without double-checking for errors and, more importantly, correcting them.

RAP applies to all sections where responses are required- articles, the forum, an Ask Expert query. Further guidance will be provided.
    Thanks to the Managing Editor for her good advice. Everybody should follow this. I assure that I will follow this so that I will also get benefitted and my language will improve. Read, understand and reply should be our policy.
    drrao
    always confident

Nice thought provoking heading from the author and we are all having responsibility to read the title. and the content and then decide to respond or not.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is a valuable suggestion from the side of the editor. Before proceeding to any response we must follow her advice so as to be benifited with ISC. This would apply to all the forums of ISC. Let us follows the suggestions sincerely.

A good advisory by the ME. Many times in a haste and aspiring for breaking the earlier speed we do not adhere to RAP and then the disaster happens fetching us a zero point or sometimes even negative points. With all our efforts if we have not responded in a relevant way then the whole exercise of responding to a thread meticulously is defeated. So haste and hurry are the enemies of RAP and we must try to keep a control on them.
    Knowledge is power.

Hi, ME first of all thanks for the tutorial about RAP (Read, Absorb, Proceed). It reveals the importance of RAP in ISC and the quintessence of RAP is self-evident. Mam, I want your assistance in the second point of RAP's 'DO NOT' section which reads as 'do not add text already put in whether your own or somebody's else'.
    Regards
    Kamal

It is an interesting and educative piece of advice suggested by the Managing Editor and some of us might be knowing it but in our lethargy and a habit of taking things lightly we often commit such mistakes of not adhering to these fundamentals. I agree that following the principles of RAP we will not only improve our writings but also take this platform to higher levels in the internet crowd. Let us all strive and try for that.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

A very good message and advice from our Managing Editor. RAP is a must for all members. Thank you Madam Vandana.
    No life without Sun

A good note for every member to learn to RAP in ISC as mentioned by Vandana i.e. Read the topic, Absorb what is conveyed, and then Proceed to respond in different sections of the forum. This will help many of us to improve our language, writing skills and learn to use different words or improve our vocabulary. I too would like to have an expansion of the "Do not" to learn more for my improvement.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

Kamal Kishore,

Firstly, we should not repeat our own sentences. There is this tendency to repeat the first sentence again within the same response. Let me give examples- "I congratulate all the winners and wish them the best. The threads were all good. I hope and wish them all the best to get more awards." (what is the need to convey wishes twice?) or "Yes, XYZ has made a good point. It is what happens as stated. That's a nice view." (nice view same as good point)

Secondly, we've so many times requested members not to repeat what somebody else stated. If you have a similar viewpoint and are in agreement, then support it with your own perspective. We even see the same words used.

Spend some time and go through forum threads again, scroll down and see for yourself the responses, how there is this constant repetition akin to talking like a parrot. Be a little more responsible instead of taking advantage of the automated points system.

Even in an AE thread, what is the need to give the exact same suggestions and advice? Unless you have something additional to state, why should you submit an answer?

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

So, you have learnt how to RAP. Now let me tell you how to become a RAPPER. The RAP part has been nicely explained by Vandana Ma'am and here comes the PER part.

Prepare your writeup. It's an important step before you post.
    Edit. Yes, editing is one aspect we must be careful about. Use Grammarly, which will help you a lot and finally, Respond.

In a nutshell,
    Read
    Absorb
    Proceed
    Prepare
    Edit
    Respond

We all need to be a RAPPER and for that, you don't need to learn music.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

• Sign In to post your comments