You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

World Idli day 2021 is today

A popular idli caterer from Chennai by the name Eniyavan created a day for Idli in 2015. He named the 30th March of the year Idli day. This person made 1,328 varieties of idlis to commemorate this day. On this day, An Idli weighing 44-kilogram was made and cut by a bureaucrat to declare March 30 as World Idli Day. So today is World idli day 2021.
    Idli is a very popular breakfast item in the South Indian States. Many people from this area take regularly this item in their breakfast. I love idli as my breakfast. Today morning I had idli as my breakfast and hope many of the members enjoyed the same. A happy world idli day to all.
    The first thread about World Idli Day in ISC forum was initiated by member Partha K on 1st April 2018 titledHow did you celebrate World Idli Day-2018?

It was again mentioned in my thread "National Donut(Doughnut) day 2018 in US coinciding with World Milk Day".

One of my earliest articles (probably the first one) in ISC is Has Idli Become Pan-Indian?.
    I am happy that since then Idli has become a Globally known food.

Good that world Idli day is being celebrated today and this is one of the best food even recommended by the doctor to be given to the patient and children and Idly which is made through steam process is good for any health and ailement and easily digestable. In this regard every South Indian home prepares this item at least thrice in a week and eaten with chutney especially madewith Puttana dal, Palli or even coconut or tomato chutney. Most of the South Indians prefer to have Sambar idli dipped in the bowl full of sambar and some want to have button idlis of small size and so on, For elders who cannot taste other food for their improper teeth or damaged teeth would always try with Idli with ease and children like to have the preparation with lots of other side dishes. Idli has become must inclussion in the menu of every function and celebrations.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is a good information about the Idli which is actually now popular all across the country and people relish it with sambhar and chutney. It is a healthy food and is available in the eateries in all the places especially in tourist places.
    Knowledge is power.

Idly is a delicious and tasty SI (South Indian) dish. Idly is used as a breakfast and dinner item. Everyone cannot make good idli to enjoy. A good idli would be soft like a jasmine flower. We call it 'Malligaipoo Idli'. Idly should be hot while eating it. It should have the side dishes like sambhar, coconut chutney, coriander chutney, Tomato chutney, and Milakai Podi.
    If someone has made an Idly weighing 44 Kg, it won't be tasty, and cannot be enjoyed. It would be like eating a hard cake. I never tasted a quality idli anywhere in the northern part of India. There is a hotel at Triplicane in Chennai where idly is served with ample quantity of excellent sambhar. The server used to pour sambhar from a large mug of 1 ltr quantity over the idli placed on a hollow plate. The idlies would sink in sambhar.
    I had an aunt whose business was idly making in the morning. I am yet to see and taste such idly in my life. Whenever I eat idly, I used to remember her and her jasmine like idlies.

No life without Sun

Thanks for this informative thread. I was not aware that idli day is also celebrated. I know it is a favourite food in south India and I hope you people might have enjoyed today for being it a special day for idly.
    Happy idli day to all idli lovers.

Be indian and buy Indian.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.