You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

What's the good word pair?

Many of you will likely remember the popular English language show on Doordarshan, 'What's the good word?' hosted by Sabira Merchant. For this weekend's summer activity, we are going to work on building up vocabulary in a similar, easy manner by creating word pairs from a word. You have to come up with an interesting pair of words from a single word that I give. You may participate as many times as you want but must submit only a single word pair for each word that I give.

An example-
    I give the word - Shut
    Your response - Shut out
    Similar responses- Shut-in, shut up, etc

You are thus submitting a response with a word pair that uses the exact same word. However, you can put in another word, even expanding on the given word, but the meaning of the word should remain the same. Just add one more word to the given word to make it a meaningful word pair. You can even add an adjective, an adverb, etc and the given word can also be the second in the word pair and not necessarily the first.

Now, the pairs mentioned above are very obvious ones. I want you to come out of the basics, avoid too easy ones, apply your mind, and come up with something unique. And kindly don't consult Google, otherwise, the whole point of this activity is lost!

So, with the above word, something unique would be like this- Shuttered shop or Shuttered window. As you can see, the word shut has been expanded to shuttered but retains the meaning, namely, closed.

I may put in a response with a new word at any time, but you are free to give a word pair for a previous word whenever you wish at a later point, as this is an informal activity and not a competition with time limits. However, if you are responding to a previous word, please mention in your response that your word pair is for so-and-so word. I will also give a number to each word and you can even give a single response later with word pairs for previous words.

Any member is free to put up a query about the meaning of a word pair that has been submitted by another member but is not understood.

Interesting word pairs may be taken up later for a future creative writing contest, and if so, will be given cash credits, so do give this activity your best skills!
    Word #1: Chair

Keep in mind that you should not put 'a', 'the', 'it', etc. Just add one more word to the given word to make it a meaningful word pair. As I mentioned in the instructions, you can even add an adjective, an adverb, etc and the given word can also be the second in the word pair and not necessarily the first.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

word pair: Study chair

Regards
    Kamal

Sun,

You have to give only a single word pair. Please read the instructions. You have also not given word pairs, but single words, except for the third one. Try again.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Chair person.

Knowledge is power.

Word#1: Chair
    Word pair: Vice chairman

My word pair response is
    Chair post

Can we use any words before Chair ?

K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

My word pair for #1. Chair
    "Wooden Chair"

No life without Sun

My word pair for #1. Chair
    Steel Chair

"Cheruthulli Peruvellam"
    small drops make a mighty ocean

My word pair response is-

Chair Lift

Umesh- Chairperson is a single word. Try again.
    Reena - Vice-Chairman is a hyphenated word and hence a single word. Try again.
    K Mohan - No, the instructions are very clear.
    Sun - Wooden chair was a good word pair, but not as unique as if you had used the first word which you gave in your first response. Will reveal it later.

Word #2: Turn

Plastic Chair for the first word
    Turn on for the second word

drrao
    always confident

Word Pair for the #1 Chair
    Rotating Chair

Lighted to Lighten

For Word #2 - Turn
    Right Turn

Lighted to Lighten

Sobha Wilson's entries are thinking beyond the obvious. Take a hint from the type of noun used.
    Dr Rao - Do read the instructions! Why have you submitted two entries?

Word#2- Turn
    Word pair- Complete turnabout

Excellent submission by Reena for word #2. Come on, members, let's have more such unique entries.

My word pair #2 Turn
    "High Turnover"

No life without Sun

My word pair for this -

High turnover

Vandana Ma'am,

I missed the entry of 730497 when I was submitting my entry. After refreshing the page I saw my entry is the same as the response of 730497. Should I edit in the same response or do I need to enter another response for the same word?

Musical chair

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Your turn

Word#1: Chair bed

Word#2: Turn around

Word #2: turn
    My pair for this word is "economic downturn".

Regards
    Kamal

Last turn

Knowledge is power.

Electric Chair

Knowledge is power.

My word pair for this:-

Front chair

Turn out

Word 2# Turn
    Word pair: Turn down

Word 1# Chair

Word pair: Chair Car

Word 1 # Chair

Word pair: Rocking Chair

shampasaid

Word 2 # Turn

Word pair: Turning Point

shampasaid

Word # 2 Turn
    Word pair : Take u turn
    Or
    Employee turnover

Word # 1 chair
    Word pair : chair drill or

Wobbly chair

Swati - It is Ok, when two members are simultaneously responding in a thread, this happens. Let it be.
    Dev Arora - this is not an MCQ-type format (smiling). Do not give options. Put in just a single word pair.

High turnover, Economic downturn, Chair lift, Chair car, Employee turnover, Turning point, Wobbly chair - well done!

Let's move on to word #3, taking the difficulty level up by a notch: Quiet.

My word pair # 3 Quiet

"Keep Quiet"

No life without Sun

My submission for Word #3 is So quiet.
    drrao
    always confident

Word #3: Quiet

My word pair for this is "Watch Quietly".

Regards
    Kamal

My word pair for this -

"Quiet Surprised."

Swati - Quiet Surprised is incorrect English. I think it should either be Quiet surprise or Quietly surprised.

My Word #3: Quiet
    Quiet down

Lighted to Lighten

Vandana Ma'am,

Thank you for rectifying my mistake.

Yes, it should be "Quiet Surprise".

My Word #3: Quiet

My word pair for this is
    "Sit quietly"

Keep quiet

Knowledge is power.

Word 3 #: Quiet

Word pair: Quiet mourning

shampasaid

Vandana mam sorry , but two word pairs came into mind so I texted both.

Word#3: Quiet
    Word pair: Quite quietness

Vandana Madam,

Shouldn't it be 'quite surprise' instead of 'quiet surprise'?

Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

shampasaid

Shampa - The meaning of the word quite and that of quiet are different as you know. Since I have given the latter and not the former, hence I corrected it. Also, 'quite surprise' is incorrect grammar, isn't it? It should be 'quite surprised'.

Dev Arora - I'm not sure if Quite quietness is correct English.

(By the way everyone, it is quite fine to address me by name. No need for a formal address)

Word #4: Bell

Word#4: Bell

My pair word for this is -

"Snow Bell"

Word 4 # Bell
    My pair word for this word " temple bell'

drrao
    always confident

Word#4: Bell

My pair word for this is -

"Bell rang"

Word 4 # Bell

My pair for this word is "Opening bell".

Regards
    Kamal

My word pair#4 Bell
    "Calling Bell"

No life without Sun

My word pair#4 Bell
    "jingle bell"

My word pair: # Bell Pepper

Word 3# : quiet

My word pair: # quiet conversation

Word pair: Bell jar

shampasaid

Vandana (As you wish to be addressed)- Yes, I missed the letter 'd'. It has to be quite surprised. Thanks for pointing it out.
    shampasaid

Bell Bottom

Knowledge is power.

Some good pairs are coming in, and getting excited at the variety I now have for the upcoming contest!

I was wondering about one word pair - Sobha mentioned rotating chair. Generally, we refer to such chairs as revolving chairs or swivel chairs.

One last word for this activity - word #5 Train.

I have deliberately given a word that has multiple meanings, so you can give word pairs that relate to any of them.

Word #5 Train
    Word Pair: Trained train-driver

Word#5 Train
    My submission for the same is Electric Train

drrao
    always confident

Word #5 Train
    Word Pair: Local train

Regards
    Kamal

Word #5 Train
    Word Pair: Passenger train

Phagu Mahato
    Success occurs when opportunity and preparation meet.

My word pair #Train
    "Under trainee"

No life without Sun

Word #5: Train

Express train

Bell boy

Word #5: Train

Well trained

Knowledge is power.

My pair -
    Quiet atmosphere.

Word # 5: Train

Word pair: Training schedule

shampasaid

Word pair: Bullet train

My word is -

"Garden Train"

Word#5 : Train

My word pair : Mail Train

We will close this thread now. Thanks, everyone. Some of these word pairs will be taken up for a contest in the first week of June, and, as mentioned, those that are selected will be given points and cc at that time.

Look out of this weekend's summer activity.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.