You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Tributes to Sunderlal Bahuguna - The great environmentalist.

Although the protection of the environment is the responsibility of every common person, yet some great people take this responsibility on their shoulders and give up their lives while working in the interest of the entire humanity. It is a matter of sorrow that one such great environmentalist of the country, Sri Sunderlal Bahuguna, is no longer with us.

The death of 'Vrikshamitra', the leader of the Chipko movement is an irreparable loss to the entire country.

We all pray for the peace of his soul.
    The efforts and contributions of this great son of the soil to the conservation and preservation of nature must always remain in our hearts because, in a way, it was his commitment and fight to save our ecology that has led to many policies and rules that has saved our lives from being in a more dangerous situation. Right from the Chipko Andolan till his last breath, he braved many oppositions and dedicated his life to ensure that Mother Nature is not brutally trampled upon.

I pay my respects to the departed soul. May his soul rest in peace.

'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

Who can forget the great environmentalist and nature lover Sunderlal Bahuguna and his famous Chipko movement has brought name and fame to him and his activity. On his death the country has lost a great personality who worked for the welfare of the people and his thought to protect the Vriksh or the trees has brought him laurels as the Vrikshamitra or the friend of nature. India has very less people who think for the nature and stand for its cause. Even the nature would be mourning the death of this great personality and surely all the nature loving person would not forget this great person.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Bahuguna is a very famous eco-activist. He dedicated his life to educating the villagers to protest against the destruction of the forests and Himalayan mountains. The Chipko Movement which he started and nurtured gained very good popularity. "Ecology is the permanent economy" is the slogan coined by him. The then Prime Minister banned cutting trees because of the efforts of this famous gentleman. Our present Prime Minister mentioned the death of Bahuguna as a "monumental loss" to our country. I pay my tributes to this great personality for his dedication to safeguarding nature and mother earth.
    drrao
    always confident

Sunderlal Bahuguna was a famous environmentalist and is very well known in Himalayan region for his strong support to chipko andolan in that area. His contribution will be remembered by the generations to come and I pay respect to the departed soul.
    Knowledge is power.

I also pay my homage to the departed soul. He was a pioneer in saving the jungles from cutting and had made a distinctive image in the minds of the people of Uttarakhand state. He had a large following also.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Sunderlal Bahuguna, the guardian of nature and a leading fighter in environmental struggles has left us. The 'Chipko' movement, which was started in 1973 by women in Uttarakhand to stop the cutting down of trees in the hills for industrial projects, came to fruition through the intervention of Bahuguna. (Inspired by the heroism of the Bishnois of Rajasthan, the women, and children who defended the royal soldiers who came to cut down the trees that protected the houses from the sand winds, the Gadwal Himalayas in the 1970s. It had the meaning of "embracing the tree and gaining the strength of the environment.") In the 1950s his struggle was against untouchability. Later organized women and fought against alcoholism.
    Similarly, the fight against the Tehri Dam, which is being built on the Ganges, was intensified in 1979 with the demolition of hills, the eviction of many locals, and the removal of thousands of cedar trees. Rejecting the Padma Shri award in 1981, he said: "If I want to be given an award, the first thing I need to do is an order that no one should cut down trees in the Himalayan mountains." In 1989, a two-and-a-half-month-long hunger strike against the raising of the dam was successful. In 1981, with the intervention of Indira Gandhi, logging in the Himalayas was banned. India honored him with the Padma Vibhushan award in 2009. He taught the lesson of Gandhi that what is needed here is for everyone and not for greed. What we have lost is the 'Guardian' who taught the new generation to love nature with their ears attached to the tree and to hear what the mountains and rivers have to say.
    Tearful tributes from the heart.

"Cheruthulli Peruvellam"
    small drops make a mighty ocean

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.