There should be some fast track courts to clear as many cases as possible within minimum time. Otherwise, all courts should start working in two shifts and clear the cases as fast as possible. We all know that justice delayed is nothing but justice denied.
A court may be spending 70% of its time in postponing the cases and the remaining 30% time in settling the cases roughly.
K Mohan @ Moga
'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
Even this challenging situation would ease
Courts have large number of pending cases and some have run since years. In some cases the witnesses, or even litigants have died.
Though it is believed that justice delayed is equal to justice denied, delay happens in court cases.
Many factors cause to this delay. Lack of sufficient number of judicial officer,lack of infrastructure, comprehensive and hairsplitting law style, delay tactics by the lawyers to postpone the cases on one or other pretext, Dragging the cases r one level of court to another level, filing appeals, interim interventions, seeking stays on various grounds etc. are some of them.
Our judicial sector also needs a very serious and urgent attention to remedy the various deficiencies, lacking and lacunae.
In earlier times the community elders had some command, trust and respect from the people in the local area. Even there was the Panchayat system. Many petty cases would get settled by that intermediation or intervention. So only very less cases were taken to courts of law.
Lok Adalat is a relatively good system of fast tracking and concluding the eligible cases. It is a sort of voluntarily mutually accepted settlement by the parties in presence and with help from the legal officials . That has the advantage of the same effect of a court order or decree, but at a less cost and in faster way, Many cases can be concluded b Lok Adalat if the litigants have the real will and an attitude of mutual accommodation to settle the matter.
Knowledge is power.
How courts can be exempted from the effect of lockdown when all other departments, factories, markets, colleges/universities etc are closed.
The situation in our country is worsening. Courts are not secured from coronavirus. So courts should be safe and secure from this deadly virus. Court premises are prone to coronavirus because thousands of people visit court premises daily and those who have a date of their cases enter courts also. All precautions are to be taken in the court premises and the court.
When a case is filed or involved in a case (whether necessary or unnecessary), the first punishment is to remember the day and time when summoned to court and to wait for the plaintiff to appear in court. many cases take years to come in the list to plead. Many cases take years to argue. After many vacations, our case will be extended again if there are other important cases or cases where government officials have to appear on the day. Our case will be take up on a day when there are no such cases. It is also perishing to wait until the last minute of court as it is not possible to say when.
In the current pandemic situation, only the essential cases are listed and called. So there is a relief that those involved in other cases do not have to go to court.
small drops make a mighty ocean