You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Extreme shortage of vaccines.

With the number of surging cases , deaths and lack of medical infrastructure vaccines are the only hope for mankind to survive. Recently our honorable Prime minister declared vaccine drive for 18-45 aged youngsters through pre booking of slots over CoWin app only. Meanwhile the CoWin app has the hashtag, largest vaccination drive, which is definitely undeniable with such huge population to cater to.
    But, talking about availability of vaccines in Bengal, There has been the most acute shortage ever, even the 45+ population is yet to get the dose, forget about the 18+. Specifying, in Kolkata none of the hospitals show availability to book slots for 45+ , whereas only 2 private hospitals showed, age 18- 45 slots, yet all full, and the most surprising thing being the price, where Covaxin was priced at 1500 per dose and Covisheild at 850 per dose.
    Now, I being a normal citizen ain't eligible to comment on who and what went wrong. Whether our chief minister failed to order enough or the center is not cooperating.
    Whatever it is, its ultimately the lose of the commoners, Do you feel that the losing of center over Bengal in the recent elections, could have been a reason for this acute shortage? Please share your views.
    There is no doubt that a shortage of vaccines is facing by almost every state of the country, but at the time government trying to provide as many vaccines as possible. The registration process is quite fast and due to this most people unable to register, in my area now there is another facility is giving by the government. After 4 o clock in the evening, they provide direct registration from the vaccination booth, so if someone has unable to register themselves, he/she may go to direct to the vaccination center, but that is also true that as per the population vaccine supply is quiet less.

There is no doubt that a shortage of vaccines is facing by almost every state of the country, but at the time government trying to provide as many vaccines as possible. The registration process is quite fast and due to this most people unable to register, in my area now there is another facility is giving by the government. After 4 o clock in the evening, they provide direct registration from the vaccination booth, so if someone has unable to register themselves, he/she may go to direct to the vaccination center, but that is also true that as per the population vaccine supply is quiet less.

The idea to cover the entire population for the vaccination is a fine idea. Initially it was started for the senior citizens exceeding the age of sixty. Many of this age bracket could avail of the first dose and they were waiting for the second dose of covishield but later the date was extended as decided earlier. Now we are witnessing a stage where the second slot is not available for such people needing the dose. Meanwhile the government has announced for the extension of this benefit to the other age group. Though the idea is fine, but crisis is being felt for the vaccination for all. Let us see how the same is tackled in the near future.

It seems the vaccine dispatch and there after the stock management gone haywire from the news that 6 crore vaccines from Covaxin was dispatched out of which 2 crores has been used or injected and there is no record of 4 crore vaccines. Since these vaccines are coming out of private factories and the delivery challan details are the proof of being sent to various destinations. In the wake of shortage of vaccines across the country the powers that may be at the helm of affairs are selling away these vaccines to corporate hospitals at high cost and there seems to corruptions to malign the sincere efforts of central govt. Nevertheless there must be fool proof arrangements in the future as to every vaccine coming account of factory has to be accounted for. PM must monitor and handle this entire vaccine program till the last dose injected.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is very unfortunate. Now the state governments are ordering directly from the suppliers and trying to get the vaccines. What is happening really not known. Where have the vaccines gone? I think the moment the purchase decentralised corruption started taking place in the system and the vaccines are being stored or sold to corporate hospitals to sell at a higher price. Each state government should give an account of the material they have purchased and how the same was utilised? If there are any hidden stocks they should come out and should be used for the persons.
    drrao
    always confident

We have to accept that there is shortage of vaccines. Vaccinating such a huge population is a daunting task and it is taking time. The time taken to vaccinate should not be such a long period, otherwise, the antibodies developed by vaccinated population will disappear after some time and again we have to vaccinate them. Then this will run like a vicious circle.
    The state and the district administrations should chalk out some plans while vaccinating the population. While giving vaccination, they should give priority to those villages, which are affected by Covid-19 and delay those villages which are not affected. There are many villages, which are not affected by Covid-19 at all. As an example, the Ganjam district of Odisha has 91% villages which are having zero active cases. So, we can delay vaccinating those villages for some time.

Everyone knows that providing vaccines to such a large population is not child's play and is actually herculean task. Every state will like to have its people vaccinated at the earliest but where are the vaccines for that. The vaccines will be provided to the states as per the allocated quota and as the demand is far more than the supply the shortage has to be there for quite some time. It is not possible to favour one state over other for vaccines as that will create other problems blaming the Govt for favouritism. The only solution is to allow more private companies to make it and supply to the states but that would also take time. It is not that the Govt did not know that such a need for vaccine will be there but everything takes time and vaccine manufacturing is already sped up but that would not be sufficient seeing the gigantic requirement.
    Knowledge is power.

The biggest challenge India is bracing up now for the third wave to which some states already made arrangements and this time it would affect the small children and that would add agony to us. In that case the demand for vaccine to children would increase and wanting. As far as my knowledge goes no parent would be ready to go for vaccine to children at this time when there is no guarantee as to how the vaccine would work on children. Nevertheless the researchers are spending their midnight oil as to how to help countries to get out of this situation and only the time would tell the difference.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is not the case only in West Bengal, but everywhere. In fact, quarrels are breaking out and resentment festering with people moving from one District to another to get the vaccine.

Let us see the other side of the coin - vaccine wastage. Quite a few people I know have reported this-
    1. Although the vaccine shots are available at a vaccination centre, people are not coming in to take the jab.
    2. The CoWin website shows slots are full each and every time they log in to book a date. There have been reports of alleged hackers circumventing security and booking slots.
    3. Where there is sufficient stock of vaccines, walk-ins are not allowed despite the vaccination center being practically empty of recipients.

So on the one hand we still have many people who are reluctant to take the vaccine, which is the case as has been reported in many villages and small towns, and, on the other hand, people eager to take the vaccine but getting frustrated at not getting it.

I think every State should have its own registration website that could be having features like this for people to select-
    1. First dose or second dose?
    2. Covishield or Covaxin? (and later whichever other vaccine is available)

Then there should be a list of vaccination centers where recipients of the first dose can go, and a list of those centers where recipients of the second dose can go, For each, it should be clearly mentioned which vaccine is available at that center. In the case of the second dose, there could be a separate time slot for those who were unable to register and who can walk in with their certificate that shows they took the first dose. This time slot can be staggered as well, with, say, on some days in the morning slot, and on other days in the afternoon slot. So as not to exhaust the health workers, they should be given a break on Sundays or can share the shifts on Saturdays/Sundays. I am sure there are ways and means to break down the task of getting everyone vaccinated if done in a systematic manner.

It is also important to have large-scale awareness campaigns on the ground level. If political parties can put up huge cut-outs and hoardings during election times, why not now, when it is the need of the hour? People should be made aware that the more of us get vaccinated, the better it is for everyone.

Vaccine distribution should also be as per the population in a particular area. Where there are fewer residents, why keep a large stock at the vaccination center?

Of course, everything comes back to the same point - about having enough vaccines.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I really wonder why and how this situation came!
    When vaccine was introduced in our country, many people expressed doubts about the safety and efficacy of the vaccine. Evaluating the urgent priority, government made the vaccine available first to the frontline health workers. Thus the government prioritised the categories as per their vulnerability to infection.and possible risk of aggravation and fatality after infection.
    Many, mainly the so-called vocal intellectuals, questioned why the government was showing undue haste when enough trials were not done. Some 'responsible' political leaders even expressed 'concern' why PM was not taking the vaccine as the first person. Many big and even local level 'Chotu' leaders started affirming that they will not take the vaccine and will not allow innocent people as guinea pigs .

However slowly normal understanding people kept faith in the government and the scientists and started taking vaccine. Slowly it came to be known that vaccine is effective at least in reducing criticality and fatality if not totally eliminating chance of infection.

India became an example and model to many other nations in implementing vaccination within a short time, producing a locally developed vaccine , and giving vaccines to other poor countries and even too.
    Naturally this made the multinational vaccine and pharmaceutical giants very unhappy and envious of India. They felt the Earth was eroding from under their feet. China also felt same. They all knew that soon India will contain the pandemic and help other nations also in that, causing loss to the colossal business dreamed and planned by them.

It is just simple maths and easy to put the jigsaw puzzle in place from here.
    All on a sudden 'second surge', a new variant, extreme vaccine shortage, extreme oxygen shortage, social media and visual media with pictures of dead bodies. Script and scene shots became wonderful and effective as per the plans of vested interest. Naturally ordinary people panicked. Panic itself invited more trouble.
    But slowly the drama behind got exposed. Just a few days. People understood the real story.

But what I feel worried is why the government could not get wind of what is brewing? This is not the first time. Earlier also I have mentioned that the ruling BJP/NDA lacks field intelligence and advance input. Police intelligence cannot be that much spread . Only ordinary alert people can be source of such advance warning signal.
    As said many times earlier also, in the absence of truly transparent and authoritative communication from government, people will have to believe rumours.

What we face now is the consequence of absence or deficiency of proper and transparent news and fact dissemination from government. If not remedied, we may be compelled to face many more serious situations.

It is reported in the media that India didn't buy the required amount of vaccine. On the other side, several times more vaccines were purchased by other countries which suffered during the first phase of covid19, this is why those countries recovered their loss and protected their people. It is claimed in social media. Should we believe in these reports?
    Now there is no shortage of vaccine in all hospitals in my districts.
    We are in this phase of covid19 where we have to forget all ifs and buts about vaccination. How to fight against this virus should be our main concern instead of playing blame games on governments.

There is another aspect of this. For students who are going abroad, now suddenly there are sufficient vaccines! Various States have set up vaccination centers exclusively for them. I was wondering about other students of those educational institutions who are not pursuing higher studies abroad. Are they to wait indefinitely till vaccines are available while their batchmates get the jab? There may be some residential campuses that have opened up or will open up in the next academic session, so what about those students?

It also has been reported that the large private hospitals can afford to purchase the vaccines that are currently available despite the price hike, but others, especially in small towns and rural areas, are left in the lurch. The great Indian chasm between the haves and the have-nots just got stretched wider.

Just yesterday I spoke to a young lady in another city who said she is still trying to get a slot for a vaccine jab. In my own case, I had planned to take the second dose this month, two and half months after the first jab. That got stretched by a further week as per the message that came when I logged into the Cowin site. I am unsure of whether I can simply walk in with my certificate of the first dose if I do not get a slot for the second one via the website.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

• Sign In to post your comments