You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Books

UP CM and Ramdev's books included for philosophy studies - how relevant are they?

Just now I saw a TOI report that UP CM's 'Hathyoga Ka Swaroop va Sadhna' and Ramdev's 'Yog Chikitsa Rahasya' will be part of the curriculum for philosophy students at Meerut University. The claim of the university is that what is expounded in their books is of value as it is part of our cultural heritage.

Have any of you read these books? Even if you haven't, do you think they should be included as part of an academic curriculum merely because one author is the State's CM and the other supposedly an expert in Yoga?
    The name of the CM itself suggests that UP CM is the exponent of Yogic exercises and his books on Hathyoga was quite famous like wise Baba Ramdev book on Yog Rahasya is also equivally famous as we know he is the yoga expert himself appearing on live tv programs. I do not thing anything wrong on the part of Meerut University for its Philosophy students pursuing the cultural heritage course. We should not bring politics or any other thing in this matter as the course seems to be interesting by adding those books and the Univerisity also decides the same with a committee for every year to add which course.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In many institutions Yoga and other such techniques are being taught as a full time course and students completing them are having good scope for job not only in our country but in abroad also. So, that is already going on in the country and there is actually no need of incorporating books written by the present CM or Yoga guru Ramdev in the curriculum of schools and colleges. These can be taken up as extra curricular activities as was the practice earlier. Giving special treatment to these books by influential people is not a healthy sign for the future of the democratic nature of the governance in this country.
    Knowledge is power.

Based on the position if those two chapters are included, that is not correct and that can't be accepted. But if the persons are experts, their good works need not be stopped in incorporating in the curriculum as they are from a CM and another famous Yoga person.
    I have not read these books and hence I can't comment on the relevance of the subject. Nehru's letters to his daughter Indira Gandhi were published and in history a part of these letters were included as curriculum. We all felt that they are good. As Nehru was the PM or Indira Gandhi was a PM we need not say that they should not be included in the curriculum.

drrao
    always confident

What Umesh stated is an echo of my opinion, of giving preferential treatment. I checked out the cost of the books online. The CM's book is priced at Rs.237/- and the other book at Rs.400/-. Can students afford them? What's more, both seem to be Hindi editions. Will students be able to understand the text in the first place?
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

The varsity authorities of the Chaudhary Charan Singh University, run by the State Government, claims that the books that have been included in the syllabus for Philosophy are of high academic value. I have neither read the books nor have been able to trace any reviews for the same and so would refrain from commenting on the content of the books. But it is indeed baffling to note that the books, purportedly pertaining to Yoga and its effects, one written by a mathematics graduate who became a Sanyasi and the other by a Sadhu (sanyasi again) who attained knowledge through the Gurukul form of education has been prescribed for study by the students of Philosophy. Now that their books will be read alongside those of Aristotle and Plato is something that needs to be given serious consideration. I am not saying that a CM or a Sadhu cannot write books or that what they write need not be of academic value but to prescribe their books just because of what they are (and what they have in common) is not acceptable for someone who is logical. Ramdev has attained the status of Yoga Guru very recently and we are aware of his traits. And so is Yoginath who is known for his extreme right-wing views.

If I am not mistaken, philosophy, as per its dictionary meaning is 'the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline'. So in that sense, I doubt whether the Varsity authorities have indeed applied their mind with the future of the students in mind or have gone with their brain keeping their own future in mind.

'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

I have not gone through these books and any comment on my part would not be fair. Now let us examine the personalities of these two great people. The present chief minister is basically a science graduate and has gained sanyasi status after taking some Diksha and to that extent, it is alright. However, a review committee must examine the write ups the author before being part of the syllabus of the course. Similarly Baba Ramdev is known for his contributions in yoga but how far his doctrine would suit the students, is not known at this moment. Further review in this regard is required. Hope, these contributions would pass through the regulatory committee prior to the final approval.

Saji - You mentioned a point about their books featuring alongside those of Plato and other philosophers. The curriculum for B.A. Philosophy includes Indian Philosophy, Western Philosophy, Ethics, Metaphysics, Philosophy of Religion, etc. Yoga is a minuscule unit of the Indian Philosophy paper. I think under that pretext, the university is trying to wiggle in these books!

Sheo Shankar Jha spoke about a regulatory committee - do you think such a committee would be an unbiased one if the committee itself consists of university faculty who are supporting the CM and Ramdev?

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

K Mohan - does a name or merely authorship of a book imply expertise that is relevant to academic studies? Should their books be part of a curriculum just because of who they are? Shouldn't the contents be analyzed by an unbiased independent panel of academicians who have studied the subject of philosophy to see how it can fit into the curriculum?

Yes madam, you are right, we may not get the favourable results with the regulatory committee if the faculties are from the same Univesity. It could have a different result if the committee is formed with the academician of other Univesities other than Chaudhary Charan Singh's University. It is just like tossing a coin where there is possibility of getting either head or tail on its resting position.

To be precise, if those two books add values to the subject and the knowledge gained from the books enrich students then it's a good decision by Meerut University, otherwise, it would be considered favouritism. Only experts in the subject who have read those books can compare and say how useful the two books would be for the students of Philosophy. I haven't read any of those books but the name suggests the books are related to Yoga and not much about Philosophy. In our country, every political party has an ideology to promote and if they find a way to promote it through the curriculum then the target audience maybe more. Merely the CM of a state or an expert in a specific subject should never be the criteria while selecting a book for any curriculum. It must be seen how enriching they are to the specific subject.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

This does not look like a proper way of including our cultural things in the academics. Whatever is required should be taken from these books and should be included in the academic syllabus. It was always done like that in the past. We had never heard books by some important and high position persons to be included in this manner. Moreover there is nothing new in these books. It is all taken from our culture and scriptures which are already available for study. I am sure this would not be going to give a good name to the people who have without giving a thorough thought to it, just like that included them in the classes.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It was a very quick decision without further discussion, knowing that the books of Adityanath and Ramdev would not be accepted by many at the university. This is what the Vice-Chancellor of the University Y Vimala told the Telegraph. 'We did not make the decision ourselves. We received a recommendation from the state government. Therefore, it is included in the degree philosophy syllabus'. The head of Arts replied that it was included as part of a periodic update.
    Decisions related to education taken by BJP governments at the Center and in several states have already drawn criticism. Subdivisions such as federalism, citizenship, nationalism, secularism, and the growth of local government in India were excluded from the 11th-grade political science curriculum. The decision of the National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCRT) to omit three chapters from the ninth-grade history textbook as part of the second textbook review was also controversial. In 2017, there were reports that the NCRT was under pressure to change the reference in the Class XII Political Science textbook from 'Anti-Muslim riots in Gujarat' to 'Gujarat riots'.

Lighted to Lighten

The meaning of the title of these books suggests that they are basically on Yoga and are related to the different benefits of yoga and the methods to do it. The books are not even related to Hindu philosophy. If at all the BJP or the UP government was so keen on forcing the students to learn Hindu philosophy, they could have recommended books by scholars in the Sadhu clan. By choosing the books by Yogi and Ramdev, who are known for their senseless remarks and reactions, I personally feel that the authorities have gone wrong.
    'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

• Sign In to post your comments