You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How to instantly identify the different varieties of mangoes?

Every year, we have had discussions on the variety of mangoes that flood the markets as early as the end of March, with mangoes sometimes available right up to July just before the start of the heavy rains. Let's talk not just about the variety but about identifying them. Most of us will easily identify the Alphonso, while some people have the tendency to call practically every mango as an Alphonso!

With just a glance at a mango, and without asking the vendor, can you instantly identify it by the name it is known by? Here's a picture of three mangoes, each of a different variety and let's see if you can recognize which variety they are-
    Mangoes

Do share pictures of mangoes that you have bought this year and we'll play a guessing game - but no cheating and peeking online to give the answers! Also, share some tips in understanding how to identify a particular type of mango
    India has been bestowed with good varieties of mangoes in different regions and places but some varieties are common like thothapari which has the end looks like beak of parrot, and this variety is available more in the south and weighs more as it comes in big long size. In Telangana we get a variety called Rasalu which is more juicy in type and there are many likens to it. The most famous is the delition variety and has more pulp in it. And one more variety is the malgoa variety available round in size and these mangoes are with thin skin and these people would eat them without peeling it. I am the most fan for the malgao variety and I would like to eat more. But a word of caution to every one as do not purchase mangoes when there is rain and after the next day the mangoes are affected with insects inside and that is the reason rates are lowered when rains pour.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I could guess to recognise them as given in the picture and they are (1) Totapuri, (2) Alphonso, and (3) Neelam. Every year we have so many varieties of mangoes in the market and some of them can be easily distinguished by their looks and appearances while others can be told and recognised from the flavour they give if one smells them. The type Totapuri is well recognised from its pointed ends, type Badam is recognised from its colour and conspicuous shape, and other types are also having their distinct shape and colour texture.
    Knowledge is power.

Yesterday I bought some mangoes and a picture of that is attached here for the members to guess it. I think it is an easy one and is abundantly available in our country.
    Knowledge is power.

Delete Attachment

My guessing for this is-

1. Alphonso Mango - It has a quite different shape that has a peak on the bottom.
    2. Dasheri Mango- The most common type of mango that is available in my area, it is juicier than all other categories of mangoes.
    3. I have No idea about this variety of mango, I have never seen an orange or red mango ever.

My guess are:

1. Totapuri: Shape is slightly curved at tip

2. Safeda Mango

3. Sindhuri: Redish appearnce like sindur

1. Totapuri - as informed through a few responses, it has that curve like a parrot's beak, hence the name.
    2. Alphonso
    3. Sindhura - as informed by a relative.

Umesh- is that a variety known as Langda?

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Yes, Vandana ma'am Langda Mango is also a variety of mangoes, it is mainly found in north India.

1. Kili mookku in Tamil (since it has a parrot nose. Kili means parrot, Mookku means Nose)
    2. Selam Mambalam /Alphonsa
    3. Neelam.

No life without Sun

The mango shown in the picture submitted by me above at #732977 is of the variety - Dasheri.
    Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments