You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread is the winner of a special prize in the TOW contest for the week 06th to 12th June '21.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do we use the term okay compulsively?

We use the term okay almost regularly. The term refers to our agreement on something. We also use the term to mean a state of satisfaction. We use okay even in the middle of some sentences that indicate to halt for a little while. While in most of the cases we use okay to indicate that we agree to a certain proposal, others may interpret it differently, especially if it is not an official one. Suppose, when you send a message to somebody that desires the person to take some action the person may just reciprocate with okay indicating that she/he has read that message but when it comes to taking action the receiver fails to do so. On asking, the receiver may just say that she/he has gone through the message and that's why reciprocated with okay but couldn't take the action because of certain reasons. It seems, saying okay has become our habit and we continue saying so even when we know we cannot act accordingly. We must stop replying with okay for the sake of reciprocating when we know that we won't be able to take the desired action. That's not okay, isn't it?
    There are some English words which have become common for us and we use them frequently. Some of these words are Sir, Ok or Okay, Hello, Daddy, Mummy etc. Everyone knows them and use them left and right. I have observed that people commonly use 'okay' in place of 'yes'.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Yes, the author has rightly observed this common behaviour of people, and to some extend, I agree with it that while interacting or responding to anyone, we use this word most. Okay, actually a very common word that used by most of us to show our agreement but at the same time ok is also useful when we want to close the matter. We may not use the okay word in writings as much as we use it in a converstaion. As the author said that saying ok is become our habit I too agree with that but there is no harm in this habit.

Okay is very common in usage and when somebody tells something to us, we say Okay. That will give an indication to the other person that we are in agreement with what he said. If it is the case we should follow the same. But not doing that is like telling a lie. Eventhough you have not liked what the other person has said and Okayed. I think it is a wrong practice. We should not say Okay if we are not following the same.
    But nobody takes this Okay very seriously. Okay is just to acknowledge. So as time changes the meanings of the words will also change, I think.

drrao
    always confident

If you say OK to any message that you want to do something, you abide that you can do it, and you should do it. Saying OK to a statement means either I support that statement or that statement is correct. If you hit OK with the message, Go there, come here, it means I will come or I will go. If we type OK to court notices, it means you treated the notice as positive and ready to abide. Then where does the doubt come from? But I hear only now that typing OK is OK to let people know that a message has been read. If you are not able to reply to such messages, you should reply that you saw the message but can't reply immediately, and report the reply will be given within the specified time. It is necessary to explain the circumstances under which the reply was postponed within that time limit. But if you typed OK, then action will be taken. Because you have informed the other party that the action reported in the notice is OK. Those who know that something cannot be done but hit OK, you are bound to do it. So it is better to stop typing OK everywhere, for unnecessary. Otherwise, the result may be calling for unnecessary action.
    "Cheruthulli Peruvellam"
    small drops make a mighty ocean

The usage of word ok not okay has become regular and also compulsive as it conveys the fulfillment and agreeing to our terms of reference and by saying ok then seems to abide by our conditions. In most of my whats app messages the other person concludes with ok in the last and that is a compulsive usage to stop further conversation or chat on the cell. There are some people even going one step ahead and simply writing k instead of ok and that looks very shortcut way of closing the messages. Any way this ok is used widely in many matters of phone conversation and that has become most sought after work used.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Okay has been in use for more than 150 years and it's still commonly used, especially, in conversation. I hardly use it in my conversation. I have several people using this word. Although it is an informal word, now it is used in formal conversation also. Accent of okay and facial expression changes its intended meanings also.

I think it would help to know why we commonly use the term 'okay' without giving much importance to its actual meaning if we translate the word to our regional languages. More than the meaning of the word, it has rather been converted into a sound that conveys our mind depending on the context and situations.
    'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

• Sign In to post your comments