You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

A great leader kicked the bucket today

Members,
    Don't be surprised with the title of this thread. This is to discuss about the idiom 'Kicking the bucket". If someone dies, it is said that the person has kicked the bucket. I wish to know how this idiom got originated. What is the connection between the bucket and the person.

Can the members elaborate this idiom relating to death?
    Though this Idiom is not used often but the old timers or the seniors are well aware of the same and it is often referred during their writing or conversation. But what I could infer from the phrase that by kicking the bucket, the water gets wasted and the bucket tumbled down thereby signifying the end of the great life of the person who was famous and wanting. But many of the youth may not know such good idioms and cannot know the right meaning. The other day a student who got the marks with outstanding remark on the mark sheet was mistaken by the parents that he was made stand out at the class and she picked the quarrel with the teacher. Same way the kicking of bucket is no where connected to the death but symbolically it is used to convey the shocking news in a more polite or sober way so that the persons wont get hurt fast.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I don't understand why ' kick the bucket' is taken as someone dies. I read somewhere that the word bucket was used as a beam in 16th century England. A bucket, or beam, was used to hang animals by the feet for slaughter, when animals die they would kick the beam or bucket.

I recalled that this query was raised some years ago and used the search box. Here it is, brought up for discussion by the same member: How do we kick the bucket? - explain this idiom
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

This appears to be rarely used phrase and is a strange one. I am hearing it for the first time. Anyway whether it is a polite way or impolite way of informing or telling about the death of a person, it would not be understandable by many of us.
    Knowledge is power.

This is a very well known idiom. We read this during our intermediate or tenth class in our English Language. Generally, when somebody dies we will inform the same very slowly and politely to others. That is due to the respect we have for the person who dies. But sometimes we use this phrase to express the issue in a light-hearted or humorous way For example one of our close friends is having an old grandfather who is very old, we will say this guy will be left with huge money once his old grandfather kicks the bucket. If somebody dies by committing suicide also this idiom can be used. When any machine broke down and can't be repaired also the same idiom will be used. We will say this machine has kicked the bucket I think, we may have to go for a new machine. But this idiom can't be used for conveying the death of great persons.
    drrao
    always confident

Vandana, thank you for rewinding. Members, I am sure. Kicking the bucket is not for an ordinary death but for a suicidal death. As I already mentioned in my old thread, one chooses to stand over the bucket to tie a noose, and then kicks the bucket to hang himself to get the noose tightened. This is is duly justified and should be acceptable to all.

So, whenever some one commit suicide, we can use this idiom " He kicked the bucket". But for heaven sake, never think of kicking the bucket in your life. Try to be happy even during testing times. Committing suicide is a cowardly act.

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments