You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread has won a special prize in the TOW contest for the week 20th to 26th June '21.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Half-truth or half-lie ?

It is a habit of some people who neither can offer you pure truth nor pure lie, they are to adulterate both truth and lie. If you hear something from them you also know that their information can't be hundred per cent reliable because everybody knows about their habit of mixing truth with a lie. You may take their test how this strange habit is ingrained in their mind. If you tell that Arun raised his hand to beat Vikas but he did not beat him. Now, this simple information will pass to different people of this sort and when information reaches you it might have been changed that Arun thrashed Vikas on the road, Vikas was crying for help but nobody came but I (narrator) took him to hospital and got him treated.
    The reliability of information is defiled when the number of such people is increased in this chain of narrators. I see very few truly truthful people.
    Paltering is a new term used by psychologists to describe the act of misleading by "speaking the truth." Because lying is now so common in society, we can better understand the grey area between truth and lies, and possibly even why we lie in the first place.

Despite the fact that lying involves considerably more mental effort than stating the truth, we lie regularly. "No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar," said US President Abraham Lincoln.

In my opinion, there is no half-truth and half lie. I went to Chennai for attending a marriage. But I told my friend that I am going to Chennai to attend an interview. I say I lied. I can't say that I said half-truth. Because why you have gone to Chennai is more important. But that fact was not disclosed.
    But the information that we gave to somebody may reach us after some time in a completely different way. Many times all of us might have experienced the same. There may be many reasons for this. Many people add additional inputs which are not facts and reach in a completely different way. Some people may not understand the information correctly.

drrao
    always confident

Well, when we received a message from different mediators that is is natural to find some mixing in the original message so it would be a wise decision if we take information from the right person directly. Some people apply the diplomatic method here and they will not provide you exactly the message, maybe their intention is not bad for this but they express this message as per their views or your views. Sometimes we give that information that we actually have, it may be right or wrong but we just say what we know.

Dr Rao:
    "In my opinion, there is no half-truth and half lie. I went to Chennai for attending a marriage. But I told my friend that I am going to Chennai to attend an interview. I say I lied. I can't say that I said half-truth. "

You went to Chennai - it was a half-truth
    But you went to attend a marriage function instead of an interview. ( you half lied.)

Did you not speak half-truth or half-lie to your friend?

That you need to find out. People will say many things according to the situation and their nature. If you trust them then you will consider them as truth but if that trust is broken then we will think of verifying everything the person says. The interesting thing is the person telling a lie never cares much about what is said rather it becomes the headache of the listener to verify whether it is true or a lie. I think it is the habit of a person to mix her/his own statement inside the truth and if everybody in the chain does the same then the truth becomes a lie automatically. Now let's think of half-truth in this way. Take the example of Dr Rao in his reply @#734468 where he says he went to Chennai to attend a marriage but told his friend that he went to Chennai for a job interview. If he tells another friend simply that he went to Chennai during this period and never discloses why he went there and subsequently if that friend never asks the purpose of the visit then we cannot consider it as a half-truth or a lie. It has to be considered true only since he went to Chennai during that particular period. I do not think there is anything as half-lie unless you are describing a sequence of action as a whole and inputting lies in between.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Yes, many time we pass on half truth and half lie to our friends and relatives but such statements are never taken seriously by our relatives. They would not go on verifying the facts unless someone tells one of my relatives the whole incident. In that situation, we will be loosing our trust. People would cross examine the facts whenever we pass on any message. Hence we must be careful in making any statement before the public. Either we should tell the entire fact or still better not to share any information so as to maintain better image. A little precaution may keep our image clean.

• Sign In to post your comments