You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you heard of 10000 hours rule?

I was going through some interestig things related to 10000 hours rule. It seems that if one puts 10000 hours in learning or studying a particular subject or stream then he can become almost an expert in the area. It means that if I learn a language 4-5 hours daily then in about 6 years time I might become an expert in that. If someone does writing for 2-3 hours daily he might take about 13 years to become an established writer. But is this devoting of time is sufficient or some other factors are also required for such success? Have you heard of this rule? What do you think about it?
    I have not heard about it or its originator. I don't believe in such rules, however, I know one thing if someone studies any language as he is instructed to study, surely he will be an expert in that language, however, there is a big difference between learners. If a learner is sharp-minded he can grasp everything that is taught to him whereas any student who is dull in the study will learn slowly and he will take some more time but eventually, he will be close to being an expert.
    The most important aspect of learning/ knowledge is that we should keep in touch with study, if we discard our study, soon we will forget what we have learnt so far.

Very interesting submission from the author and immediatly I started comparing myself and my performance with this site so far. The outcome seems to be right in my case. My average work with this site on daily basis works out to two to three hours and I have joined in the year 2009 and now completed 12 years. It is the matter of fact that anything tried again and again would have larger impact on our working style and finish even faster. Firstly my typing speed was very less, and used to take at least 20 minutes to finish one post or the thread. Now I am very fast, within 20 minutes Iam posting three or four threads or responses. Even this holds good to all walks of life. Those who are cooking regularly since years, they have the knack to finish the work within minutes and that too a tasty food to the members of the family and even guests.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I never heard about this rule. I thank the author for giving this useful information.
    I have two points to mention in this context.
    The time required for becoming an expert in a subject may not be the same for all. An intelligent person may understand the subject very fast and he can interpret the subject very fast. So he may learn very fast and become an expert in a lesser time. At the same time, a below-average person may require more time to understand the subject. After that to develop his understanding further, he may have to put in more efforts and spend more time to become an expert. Probably the time mentioned may be for an average person.
    The second point I want to mention is how concentrated you are while reading and how much you are focussing on the subject. Simply going through the lines while thinking about something else may not make you an expert in the subject. More concentration and focus is required to understand the subject and become an experiment.

drrao
    always confident

I never came across this "10000 hours rule". But I don't think this rule does apply to everyone because the time needed may vary from person to person. Some might be quick learners, grasping things easily. Some might be slow learners struggling to learn and implement things quickly. It all depends on the capabilities of the individual. What we need to achieve success is " Consistency". One has to work consistently to move forward to their goal. This Consistency is irrespective of slow learners and fast learners.
    I conclude that the rule you mentioned doesn't exactly need to be 10000 hours but the constant effort to put forth to succeed. Thank you for sharing information about this rule

Nice information has been shared by the author, I have never heard about this before, but after reading this post I found it quite interesting. This is true that when we give a fixed amount of time for a particular task or interest we must learn about it, but if we have an accurate or fixed timeline it motivates us to learn it more. So if this 10000 hours theory really works then definitely one should try it, if you have less time you can give fewer hours for a long time or many years, it may also work in the same way.

• Sign In to post your comments