You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Wearing lungi is hardly in vogue.

When we are on the job whether we are in the office or the field we put on formal attire but once we are back to our personal lives, some of us like to wear informal dress/clothes but most of us still wear formal dress. Now there may be dispute what the difference is between formal and informal dress, and also every informal dress is not acceptable in every society. Like lungi which is normally is in vogue in south India is not common in northern parts of the country. I think lungi plays the role of a formal and informal dress in south India because I have seen H.D.Devgora, P. Chidambaram, M.Karuna Nidhi etc wearing lungi while addressing people. I have seen a few leaders like Mulayam Singh Yadav and Chandrashekhar who would wear lungi too. Some of my teachers would also wear lungi in schools. People in West Bengal and Bihar normally wear lungi too however, the style of wearing may differ. Some villagers or old people still wear lungi. Once it was commonly put on by people in my town but now it is dying.
    I like to wear it while being at home because it is comfortable for my body.
    For the benefit of the author I want to clarify that there is a difference between Lungi and Veshti. Lungi is the colored wear and some times it is worn with attached version. Whereas the veshti is the traditional dress of the Tamil Nadu and considered auspicious and even in many temples without veshti the devotees are not allowed. While Lungi is considered the fashion statement, the Veshti is considered the sacred wear. Most of the Tamil Nadu people including leaders would wear the same and there is total comfort and the white color signifies the best attire and clean person from others perspective. The lungi dance song which went viral few years back is the perfect example of how lungi would look. Normally this attire is for the gents but in Kerala we have seen Lungi worn by the ladies also. So this difference must be known.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

That is true. In South, India lungi is very famous. But these days we are observing some change here also. Especially in both the Telugu states people preferring to wear shorts instead of lungi. You can find even aged people with shorts in the houses. But I prefer wearing lungi when I am in the house. But when I have to go out I will have the formal dress.
    In Telugu states, many people go for Dhotis, unlike Tamilians. All the politicians in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh wear dhoti but not Lungi. Even in many temples in these two states, the priests will wear dhotis only. Wearing lungis with designs and colours was a fashion in the 1980s and the 1990s. But when we go to the temple we will use only white lungi or dhoti. Lungi is very comfortable and easy to wear. So many people used to wear them.
    I think in North India also many people use dhotis. Our Vice President is from Andhra Pradesh but he has stays in Bangalore. That is why he is having the habit of white lungi as formal dress.

drrao
    always confident

@K Mohan
    @Dr Rao
    Thanks for your informative replies.

Giving further more information not all lungies are of two meter lengths and only Sanku mark lungies are famous with more than two meters and gives the comforts to wear.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

During my active service life, when I was posted in Chennai, I started using lungi and found it very convenient. It was so common there that I often went out in it and did some petty shopping around my house. Now I do not have any lungis left with me and when I got shifted to Northern India I slowly changed to normal house trousers. This post has rekindled my memories of my stay in Tamil Nadu.
    Knowledge is power.

It is true that even today the southern part of the country has preserved its culture and it is a matter of pride. As far as South India is concerned, the states are very developed which are also very ahead in terms of fashion, trend, technology, etc. But in North India, it is somewhat different, here the rules of culture, even if it is related to dress, are found more for women only. For example, women in many families still wear only saris while men of the same family wear jeans or shorts, not dhoti and kurta. The trend has completely changed everywhere in India and people are preferring to use new and fashionable outfits even at home. If it is a matter of comfort, then both men and women are part of the human tribe and both should have the freedom to choose clothes according to their comfort, then I do not understand why this comfortable is limited up to gents only.

• Sign In to post your comments