You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Develop a deep reading habit to get into the crux of the content

We have seen many people glancing at the contents and arriving at their notion by understanding in their own way. The elders generally have the habit of reading only headlines during the first glance of newspaper in the morning and later they dig at the contents to read again and again to understand the real news. Likewise, the students should also develop a deep reading habit that would not only help them to remember the important points but also give a varied understanding of the subject in the easiest manner.
    Here, I would like to quote two paragraphs of Francis Bacon from his essay about studies.

"To spend too much time in studies is sloth; to use them too much for ornament, is affectation; to make judgment wholly by their rules, is the humor of a scholar."

"Crafty men condemn studies, simple men admire them, and wise men use them; for they teach not their own use; but that is a wisdom without them, and above them, won by observation."

We may agree or disagree with the writer but some points should be taken into consideration. I think we should choose right stuff to read whether it is newspaper or books or articles or treatises etc. I see what I am reading - Does it fruitful or waste of time? I see several people they chew newspapers they start to read every news and every page, even they don't leave matrimonial ads, obituaries even notifications.

Very good advice has been given by the author when students or any other person is also reading a book or news, many times their eyes work to read those words, but at the same time the traffic of different thoughts in the mind. Because of this, they do not understand the proper fact and later try to understand it. To become a reader, it is necessary that while reading, we should learn the art of focusing all our senses towards our reading, when we do a reading with full concentration, then it definitely helps us to get every word of it inside us. And the chance of forgetting such a study is also less.

Though specific to ISC, isn't the message conveyed in this thread similar to the point covered here?

By the by, I doubt whether it would be proper to say that one is reading a paper or book when he is just glancing through it. Reading is different from browsing. Reading is a more serious affair and involves the application of the mind. One can say that he has read something only when he understands what has been written in detail. I won't get into the criticism part, but when you actually read, you are supposed to comprehend the matter properly in the context it is written. In that sense, I don't think a student would be able to learn anything if he simply browses through his textbooks. He has to read and understand each word and sentence so that he understands the subject properly and retains the knowledge/ information for his own good (apart from the examination point of view).

'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

Reading envisions the mind of a reader and enables him to make the right decisions at the right time. Reading in-depth content not just a cursory look at books or newspapers would only fetch you half of the information about the subject. Reading books by heart would earn a lot of knowledge about a particular subject and equips a person with substance and strengthens the intellectual capability.

The digital age has diminished reading habits and people mostly remain glued to electronic gadgets either playing games, watching movies and if they need any information they google to get little information and don't like to read properly and dig deeper into the source of information and other important things. It is always encouraged to study deeply and read properly to get better dividends.

Reading is certainly helpful in gaining knowledge but the question is how far one is serious. Simply glancing over the content would not help. We need to go into the details of the contents and should be to understand the gist. This would need a lot of patience and needs passion to learn the different topics even though the contents appearing may not be of our interest. So we can safely conclude that we must have the fascination to learn something thing new always. Reading something without comprehending the same is of no use. It is altogether a different issue that we are showing others that we are a serious reader. We may impress others but we may be far far away from gaining true knowledge.

Reading is a way to know the subject and understand the same. We read many things in our daily life. But reading a newspaper is different and reading a subject book is different. We can't compare both of them. When we see a newspaper we will get tempted to see the headlines quickly. Then we read the news which is interesting to us and useful to us. A novel just you can read for time pass. Here that much concentration may not be required. Sometimes even skipping pages also will not have any effect.
    But when it comes to subject books, we should read to understand the subject. If we are not able to follow the subject properly we have to refer to other books or consult another person and get hold of the complete subject. Then only the purpose of reading is fulfilled. Just going through the lines is not useful in this case. That is why we say we have to read the subject books to learn.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments