You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Skill development course required asap

An unwanted visitor has entered our home a few days ago. We've bought a trap to catch Jerry but this has proved unsuccessful. I found another thread about using a touchpad with glue but I find that "Ugh!"

I looked it up online and it seems peanut butter is what attracts rats the most. One has to place it on a spoon over the edge of something with a bucket below, so that when the rat ventures to the spoon's end where the food is placed, it tips over and falls into the bucket. So I did embed a peanut in a pat of butter on the edge of a long wooden spoon, placing it on the edge of a cupboard in the balcony where Jerry is hiding (we've closed the room doors so that it does not merrily wander around). Below it was placed a bucket of water. Today morning we discovered that Jerry had a nice meal. Looks like I had erroneously put a weight on the spoon so obviously, it did not tip over. Silly me! We've also put pieces of Ratol poison purchased at a local bania shop. It is a green rectangular brick that we broke up, and placed the bits here and there as per the advice given by a neighbor, who said the rat will eat it and then die.

I am going to try the peanut-butter bait again but since personally would prefer to give Jerry a non-violent end, would be glad if any of you, who has been successful in catching a rat, could provide training to me in the skillful art of trapping the unwanted visitor in the rat-trap. I want to know which fruit to put on the hook in the rat-trap box (it is a mesh wire one) to catch it and then release it outside the building. I tried with a pear piece, but it remained intact. We have presently apples, pears, and plums.

Drat, that rat!
    We were using these rat traps ( mesh wire boxes) to catch the rats and we used to carry them to the farms in the village and leave them there. To attract a rat we should use some foods which will have a good smell. My mother used to keep oily foods in that. She used to keep Pakoda made with Bengal dal flour and onions. They used to have a good smell and it is sure that we will have a rat in the box by the next day morning. You can also try that. The important point is that the material we keep for trapping the rat should have an oily smell. You can try this so that you need not kill Jerry but at the same time you can get rid of the same.
    drrao
    always confident

I have also witnessed my mother using a rat trap for catching these unwanted guests. She used to put butter-coated pieces of chapatis in the trap. Here you need to make sure that the food you have kept inside the trap must not be easily accessible for the rat. Otherwise, it will enjoy the treat and will escape. My mother used to hook up the food in a metal string connected with the lock of the trap and it works like a slight movement of the string will lock the trap.

My suggestion is not to use that rat poison. The point is, the rat may die but it does not work immediately and the rat may hide somewhere in the house and then die. Then you will not be able to learn about the same until it starts giving you a foul smell.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

The only way to catch it alive and then leave outside is to use the box like trap generally used for the purpose. I have seen people keeping a piece of chapati or some other wheat items like parotha or poori to attract the rats to the trap and it definitely works most of the times. The placement of the trap is also a point to be kept in consideration and if it is on the usual places from where it is moving here and there then it works more effectively. We have used it by keeping it in the kitchen where invariably it will have few rounds in the night time. One has to try continuously for a few days and then success rate will be high. People think that killing a rat is an ordinary thing but catching it alive is definitely a skilful work.
    Knowledge is power.

As advised, I put the butter-coated pieces of chapati in the trap that was placed in a corner of the kitchen. Today morning the bait was not only gone, but Jerry also seemed to have got a lot of energy after eating it, travelled around the living room, kitchen and balcony, knocking things off the shelves and tables. It also made a hole in a packet of red poha (flattened rice) so for health safety, have thrown it away. Looks like Jerry is small enough to sneak through the rooms' doors as they do not close completely.

At least now I know the bait. Now I am quite fiercely determined to catch it. Umesh's words "One has to try continuously for a few days and then success rate will be high." give me hope of achieving this goal.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Kappa / Tapioca / Maracheni is the food we the Keralites use to trap rats here. Maracheni is a favorite food of rats. All you have to do is, peel it off Maracheni and put it in a rat trap. The rat will come to eat it anyway .. Of course, the rat will be trapped.

There is also an easy way to kill a captured rat. No need to beat. Take a bucket of water and dip the trap in it. The rat will die within minutes.

Lighted to Lighten

We had hell number of experience with the jerry and its family and every time we tried the pad with glue method by placing a tomato on the middle of the pad. But here the big rats are very intelligent as they try to grab the tomato without touching the glue I believe as next day I could find no impression of rat legs but tomato has gone . Then I hit upon the idea to bring two bigger size glue pads and place the tomato in the middle. This time three rats were caught in the trap and they tried to wreak the pad but threesome could not do so as the glue was smeared the more they tried make overtures. One more great finding from my side that you should not dispose the same in the nearest dust bin as there are every chance they get detached from the glue and come back again as the rats are good at memory to come back to its locations.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I have already stated that I do not wish to use the Glue Pad. Also, while I have put a food-on-the-edge-of-a-spoon-trap above a bucket of water, I have no intention of trying to drown it by dunking the rat trap in the bucket if caught. I think it might survive a dive into the water bucket and I can then just upturn it at the roadside.

No matter that it is a dangerous and scary animal, somehow I feel it is inhumane to use the methods mentioned in this thread to kill it. I don't like to so much as thrash a cockroach to death, preferring to sort of just hit it with the broom, swipe it onto a dustpan, and release it outside the home. I also dislike the use of those electric racquets to kill mosquitoes. Sigh...Me, too soft-hearted.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Finally, success! I realized the horizontal rod on which the hook was to be placed did not have a smooth edge, due to which the hooked wire would not slip off, but get stuck due to the very slight rise at the tip of the rod. That is why Jerry was merrily feasting and escaping. Last night I took a thin thread and put that through the food bait, hooking that onto the horizontal rod. Today morning, there was Jerry, finally outsmarted! My sister took the trap downstairs and released it. I was quite relieved, frankly, that Jerry did not die.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

• Sign In to post your comments