You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Can you write or speak one sentence in your mother tongue without mixing words from other languages?

In India, we speak different languages and we have different mother tongues. There are almost 22 languages in our country. We all speak our mother tongue and also learn some additional languages. Hindi is the language that is spoken by a majority of Indians. English is a universal language and all of us learn this language without fail.

Slowly English has taken an upper hand in our lives and we use the words from this language in all our general conversations and languages. Now it is becoming very difficult for many of us to write a single sentence in our mother tongue without using any English or Hindi word in it. While speaking also we use them more frequently and we can't speak fluently in our mother tongue without using the English or Hindi words. What is your take on this? Can you write or speak one sentence in your mother tongue without mixing words from other languages?
    I can write in my mother tongue Tamil even a full letter without mixing any other language letters or words. But my fear and worry in this connection, present people don't care much in the grammar knowledge of mother tongue rather than over English as they got tension if their children talk in poor English but took casual if the children do poor in mother tongue and pride over that.

Yes, I can speak or write in my mother tongue Telugu without using English words. Previously I used to write small articles on Science and others in a newspaper. I have learnt my mother tongue well in my schooling and that's how I got grip over my mother tongue.

Yes, I can speak sentences in my local language without the use of language words, in fact, I always talk to the elders only in the local language. But I also agree with the author that at present it is quite difficult because many English words have been included in our daily colloquial language, when I talk with people of my age group or younger, most of the words we used are from English and this happens automatically, I mean it does not require any effort. I think there will be a time when no one will be able to communicate in their pure local language because some common English words may have replaced some local words. No doubt that we love our mother language and also respect it, feel more comfortable to speak but still as this demanding world is expected some more that is why most of us use English with our mother language.

Of course, why not? I can speak Tamil without mixing English words. And also can speak English without mixing my mother tongue or Hindi.

If the author is unable to speak his mother tongue without mixing English, it doesn't mean all the ISC members would also be like him.

Each and every Indian is proud of their mother tongue.

No life without Sun

It may not be possible to do that effortlessly for some people but many of us can do that. It is very interesting to note that there are so many English words that have become amalgamated in our Indian languages so much that people use them unknowingly. Another interesting thing is when English has taken a large number of words from various languages and adopted them fully in English then why we cannot adopt the English words in our languages. Once we adopt them in our language then in fact they become our words. Many languages in the world developed and flourished like that and English is the burning example. So it is good to write pure sentences in our native language but even using the other words which have now become a part of our language is permissible. Languages are always affected by other languages depending on social and political factors and changes to that extent are inevitable.
    Knowledge is power.

This is indeed a great challenge for the present folks as they tend to use other language in between to convey their matter or issues in their own mother tongue. As we are most obsessed with the local language and also very much in sync with English , we tend to use the same to convey our best. For us we speak Tamil at the home and we are comfortable to convey the pure Tamil as the children are taught about the same from the young age. But it is imperative that we must keep the mother tongue alive and try not to have interference of other languages to domonate when we convey.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes, I can speak in my mother tongue for hours continuously, of course, withing mixing any word of any other language, even Hindi or English. My mother tongue is Urdu. Speaking in the mother tongue is not difficult for most people, however, some people might be facing some. problems in speaking in the mother tongue.
    The author is right that we are more focused on English than our mother tongue, also it is true if a child commits grammatical mistakes in English parents will.be worried but their child is weak in his mother tongue then it is not a matter of concern for them.

Let us take an example of pure Hindi writing.
    Bharathiya Janatha Party - In this three words name, Bharathiya and Janatha are purely Hindi, but party is purely an English word. It is a grave mistake that the political party BJP has done. They should have tried their best to substitute the word Party with a right Hindi word. Is it the true spirit of the politicians belonging to that political group? Among the languages, Hindi has more mixture of English words.

Look at DMK - Dravida Munnerra Kazhagam. What a beautifully constructed party name!

No life without Sun

There are many English words that we generally use and such words have almost become part of our regional languages. Some words in English get so lengthy or difficult when translated into our regional languages and so we prefer to use the English words themselves. For example, the Malayalam translation of the term 'electrical switch' reads as 'Vidyuchakthi aagamana nigamana yanthram'. Now, I think, it is quite natural that we tend to use the word 'switch' instead of so many words to convey the same meaning. I am sure this would be the case with most of the regional languages. English words do creep in but we don't realise because some words have, as I said, become part of our regional language by usage.
    'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

• Sign In to post your comments