You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Amusement

When was the last time you used this? - photos invited

There may be some utilitarian things that we find useful in some other way than its actual purpose, such as a pen holder no longer a holder for pens, but used to keep spoons or artificial flowers. There are, though, many things that remain unused for a long time, perhaps even years. They rest peacefully somewhere in our homes, locked away in a cupboard or just kept on a shelf or at the back of a loft. It is not that they are too fragile to use, but are not really considered to be utilitarian anymore. They may be removed, dusted off, kept back, and remain in a kind of retired state.

Do you have any such thing in your home that neither you nor your family members have used for a long time? Or have you come across something outside that you know has not been used for ages for the purpose for which it was set up? Submit a photo below of anything - indoors or outdoors - that is no longer used often. It need not be a recent photo but could be one that you had taken earlier also. You could, if you so wish, give a brief note about it.

This is just something fun, and the photos may be used later for a contest. A member can submit up to a maximum of two photos, each in a separate response. Ensure the photos are your own and not from online sources, and do not have people, pets, medicinal drugs, weapons, and the like in them. Each photo should be of one thing only, not of multiple things, unless the two are connected (such as an attached cord).
    This photo was taken about three years ago and, as you can see, it is rusty and in not good condition. It did get a makeover last year with a shiny new coat of paint, but it continues to be rarely used in today's world of fast communications. I have sometimes seen the postman unlocking the little door at the bottom, looking in, and shutting it, going away with his empty sack. I suppose once in a while somebody does drop in a mail, like me! The last time I used it was around two to three months back when I bought a new pressure cooker and dropped the warranty card in its slot. Perhaps I will use it for the forthcoming festive season, to send off traditional greeting cards.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Delete Attachment

This is a thin plastic sheet of 6 inch long and 3 inch wide size where there are letters A to Z and numbers 1 to 9 are cut in it in different sizes. I remember that about 15-20 years back I had used this for making some charts and some displays. It is lying in my stationery collection just like that for a long time. I don't think anyone uses them nowadays as everything is done with the computers and printers. This is a very simple but very useful device and you can write using these letters by putting a pointed pen moving through those cuts and getting those letters written below on a paper or chart paper.
    Knowledge is power.

Delete Attachment

Umesh,

Thanks for sharing this photo. That's a stencil and I have it, too. I have another one as well, with larger-sized alphabets and numbers. The photo you have submitted brought back lovely memories. We used it for our school and college projects, and I have used them for greeting cards as well. Since we do not have a nameplate on our outer door, I used the stencils to put our flat number and name on a large white sheet of paper and pasted that on the door..

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Vandana, thanks for bringing out so many usages of this device. Yesterday, I was trying to recollect its name but could not get it. So, it is really that important stencil which was much useful in those old times.
    Knowledge is power.

The image will puzzle you that how a telephone remains unused at any home. It is, in my house, for almost ten years now without serving any purpose. I with my family stay in a rented house and have our telephone connection, and the phone in the image does not belong to us. Its owner is my landlady, who took a telephone connection to the address of her house which she gave us on rent. The landlady requested us to keep the telephone at our place, so on the lower rack of a table, it has occupied a little space in my rented house. It has a lonely life because the telephone department has not connected the instrument set with the telephone line yet. It stays mum completely but enjoys dusting by me. The ringing of a telephone makes its presence felt, but it is a silent companion at my residence.
    shampasaid

Delete Attachment

This 1973 model National Panasonic Tape recorder would have many stories to tell. She had played us many songs and has recorded many of our, relatives and friends, voices for years and has been associated with our family for so many years. Many new models have come and gone but we did not discard her due to the nostalgia that is connected with her. She is still functional to some extent but we no longer get cassettes and so she has been kept safely in our cupboard. The very sight of this tape recorder brings in so many valuable memories and the love and warmth shared in those times.
    'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

Delete Attachment

This is my dissection instruments box which was purchased almost 12 years back. I am not a biology student and I never did any dissection in the laboratory during my studies but I purchased this during my career. I wanted to carry out some special research work in the laboratory where I was working. For that, we required some components that are available in this box. So I purchased the same personally and carried it to my workplace and completed the work. Then brought back to my house. It is safe in the cupboard even today. As the components are made of stainless steel there is no problem with rust.
    drrao
    always confident

Delete Attachment

Once in a while when we want to arrange our house and keep the things in order then suddenly we find that there are a number of items still in working mode but actually they are obsolete today and cannot be put to use but they are in good condition and somehow we can't through them and just keep them at some place. With time we even forget about them but it is only when the cleaning spree takes on our minds that we find them again in their respective places. Once, while cleaning and ordering my place I found many such items like old telephone, old stationery items, old books which were not opened for a long time, some craft items in very good shape, old battery charger, electrical and electronic items, even some gift items of very small value but very interesting ones, though today we can't think of using them so our house is full of such items and this thread has given an opportunity to look back on those items and present them here. Very interesting.
    Knowledge is power.

We have a lot of electronic items in our house which are in not in use since the items has taken its place. They cannot be discarded either due to our personal attachment. To name a few, which have been redundant due to non usage are Tape Recorders, Telephones , Radio, Transistors etc. Once these equipment's were on the regular use and without these items our lives would not have been comfortable. Unfortunately, replacement of some of the items such as in case of tape recorder is due to non availability of cassettes now days and in lieu of that we may enjoy another device of latest version. Telephone is not being used by most of the consumers since all of us are engaged in the mobile phones for chatting with our friends and relatives and as such there is practically no use of telephones.

We also have many such items in our house which are not being used. We have an air cooler which was not used for the last 6 years but was in the storeroom. Similarly, we have a colour TV which we used before purchasing a LED TV. Now we can't dispose of it also as no one is using such TVs. We have an exercise cycle and a revolving chair. All these items are occupying a lot of space. But we have no choice. We offered them free to some people. But they are not interested. A cordless phone, a landline phone unit and some used mobile are also lying in our house.
    drrao
    always confident

Everyone,

While it is good to share details of, and nostalgic experiences about, the unused things in your home, please note that we would like to see photos! As mentioned, these photos will be used for a contest later, so the more photos, the better.

This thread is becoming more and more interesting with the contributions from the members. Today while seeing old things in my house from this angle, I found one electrical immersion rod which is in a very good condition but lying unused, I don't know for how many years but it should be at least 20-25 years old item. There was a time when this was used in many households for heating the water in a bucket by plugging it in the mains socket. I am not sure whether this is still in use in some households because most of the people nowadays are having small and cheaper geysers for heating water.
    I am attaching a photograph of it.

Knowledge is power.

Delete Attachment

When I was in device till 2004, using fountain pens of blue,black and turquoise blue (for signing) for more than 20 years. After that I am keeping the pens for remembrance.

Delete Attachment

Tying loose sheets or attaching punched sheets in practical file covers, we need a kind of thick thread. Such threads are utility items for students and others to keep loose sheets in an organised manner. I have a bunch of threads lying unused in my cupboard. Interestingly at present, I don't require it, but not willing to discard it either. When my son was in twelfth, I used to keep the threads safely when his files got torn, thinking he might need an extra thread if any thread gets torn. My son does not require any thread for practical files at present because he has changed his stream, but I still keep it safely in my cupboard. I always feel anyone can need it, so I should keep it carefully. That's why a bunch of threads is uselessly resting quietly in my cabinet.
    shampasaid

Delete Attachment

Shampa, I had used these threads often while keeping my papers together. They were really very useful having two metal pins at their ends with which we could pierce the paper also. They are called as file tags. I think, these are still being used in some offices or some other places though I am not very sure of that.
    Knowledge is power.

This is the Videocon TV which I used 6 years back. This TV is having a history. Before I purchased this TV, we were having a colour TV and the remote of the TV was got damaged. So we went to a shop to get a new remote. There I saw this TV and liked it. So as I was having a Credit Card in my pocket, I immediately purchased the same. I have used it for almost 5 years. Afterwards, my sons wanted to go for LED TV and I have purchased Sony TV. Then onwards this was lying in our storeroom.
    drrao
    always confident

Delete Attachment

Glad to see some more photos coming in. That electrical immersion rod is interesting, though we've never had it in our home and I've not seen it elsewhere either.

Those file tags brought back memories of school days, with every subject having a file of our notes, the papers neatly punched and put together with the file tags. Those types of files with the file tags were also used for keeping utility bills, and we still have many of them. I also recall using the extra file tags for tying up things. They are extremely sturdy, in fact, and can be knotted and tied together. Perhaps they could be used as a clothesline, Shampa since you have so many?

Fountain pens are something that I am sure people still have in their homes even if not used.

Some more photos, please, otherwise the upcoming contest will not be as exciting with only a few.

Umesh Sir and ME Vandana, thanks a lot for reminding me of the word 'file tag'. I missed it while writing the post and termed it as a thread. Yes, ME Vandana, your suggestion of making a clothesline with the file tags is perfect.

ME Vandana, you have mentioned in the thread that each member can submit only two images. I have already submitted two, but may I put in one or two more photos? If yes, can it be an image of any cloth or garment?

shampasaid

Alright, everyone, we will permit everyone to submit a maximum of three photos each.

Yes, Shampa garments/fabric is permitted as long as it is decent.

This Philips Jawan model transistor joined me in 1992. It had remained my buddy for many years and had always performed very well. Gradually its running time decreased as television programs/computers and mobile started taking away more of my time. About ten years back, it developed some problem with tuning and I am yet to repair it. I feel sorry whenever I see it and do feel that the importance of even a radio fades away when its utility appears to be negligible. I have taken it out of my box now and have decided to make it sing once again.

Delete Attachment

Saji has helped me in identifying a similar item. This 'Two in One' Transistor cum cassette player is still in a working phase though the band switch is creating some problem. I bought it in the year 1998. I used it to listen news and old songs in the late evening time that were relayed by All India Radio. It is now lying unused in a corner and is to be disposed at an earliest. It is Phillips made and had given a good service.
    Knowledge is power.

Delete Attachment

Umesh, I owned a double cassette model of this tape recorder. I sold it as scrap for Rs 800/- or so around eight years back since it was lying unused.

Saji, nowadays there is no value of a second hand item especially when it is so old a model. Recently there was a collection point installed in our housing complex where residents were asked to deposit their e-waste. So, many people have given their old electronics items there.
    Knowledge is power.

People at times keep some gift items for memory's sake. Such gifts become a source of love and warmth. The presence of such memorable gifts always has a story to unfold. The image of the saree itself makes me nostalgic, but I am sure when I share the fond memory connected with it will leave a touchy impression upon every reader of this post. A saree or any other garment usually connects with marriage or as an heirloom, but my saree in the pic has a very different tale to tell. After my wedding, I joined an institute to learn batik print. During that period, I made the saree and presented it to my mother. She loved it, although she wore it only a day or two because of her deteriorating health condition. Ultimately she was confined to bed till her last. After her death, my sisters and sisters-in-law gave the saree back to me to keep as my mother's memory.
    shampasaid

Delete Attachment

ME Vandana, thank you for allowing the members to submit three images, and that's why I could post another pic. The saree in the image is very close to my heart. It's not because I made it, but I made it for my mother, and she wore it before she left forever. I have not worn it till now, and I am not sure whether I will wear it in future or not. Still, I can say that the particular saree is undoubtedly the most beautiful and precious one in my wardrobe.
    shampasaid

Shampa, you have given a very interesting example of the old item which is kept as a memory of your mother.
    Knowledge is power.

This is an old landline phone. There is something interesting. I was having a landline phone of BSNL. It was not working properly. Then I gave a complaint. They told me that the phone piece is to be changed and they have no stock. I purchased this piece and got it replaced. But after fixing this phone, I never used my landline. Recently I disconnected my landline but still, the phone piece is lying with me.
    drrao
    always confident

Delete Attachment

Dr Rao,

Since already one photo of a landline phone was submitted, it would have been good to avoid submitting another of the same type of photo. The idea was to get a variety of photos. Anyway, let it be.

Umesh- Like Saji, I, too, had a double-decker system of Panasonic. One deck was for playing the tapes, and the other deck to record. I had recorded the voices of my mother and niece on that system. Eventually, we sold it because it took up too much space and we were not frequently using the recording section. We decided to go for a smaller sized one, and I think we got a small discount in exchange for the old one.

Shampa - thanks for sharing that photo and the lovely memories that go with it.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.