You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

No rule or religion is more valuable than life.

In our society, people have made different rules and methods of worship in different religions through which they show their devotion to God. But sometimes if such rules or rituals become a problem in someone's life, then they need to be changed.

There is a fast which is very popular in the Hindu religion which is known as Teej. During this fast, women do not eat or drink even a drop of water throughout the day and night and then do worship throughout the night. Many times I have found women with health-related problems observing this fast since there is a belief that this fast should never be abandoned and it is for the long life of the husband. Due to this fear, they are afraid of breaking the rules of fasting.

I witnessed the extent of this when I went to the hospital with my nephew and it was the next day after Teej. I saw the body of a woman who had Mehndi on her hands, she was in full glory but there was no life left in her. And then I came to know that this happened only after the hard fast of Teej.

No matter what religion or rule, it does not matter more than anyone's life and this important point should be understood by all, educated or uneducated. There is really a need to bring awareness in this direction. It is not only women, but sometimes men also keep torturing themselves in the name of God due to some rules.
    Yes, no religion or religious beliefs or rituals are more important than our own life. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule that one should observe all the rituals of the religion he follows. We should consider our health condition and also other situations in life. Elderly people and people with certain types of health issues must never venture to observe rituals like fasting or keeping awake at night etc. God is said to know everything. So you need not be worried. Such superstitious beliefs are more prevalent among the uneducated people but I have seen some well-educated and affluent people also blindly following such religious formalities. Actually, such rituals, rules and beliefs have been created by some group of people who claimed to be closer to God only to further their self-interests.
    'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

I appreciate the author for her beautiful thoughts. When you live only you will have an identity. The moment you are not there, you will not have any identity. So keep our life intact is the first issue everybody should address. Nationality, religion and caste are only secondary and not of primary importance. There is a saying in Sanskrit, which means you have to protect your body, you require this for doing dharma also. ( Sarira madhyakalu Dharmasadhanm). My father is 88 and my mother is 84. They followed that when they were in their 60s. But nowadays they stopped that. Our health is to be given the highest importance. Performing rituals and following religious rules and regulations will be after that only. It is foolish to lose life for the sake of following a belief. Every person should use his own sense before following such rituals based on the situation prevailing around him. During lockdown many people stopped the rituals they have to perform for their elders. Noone should find fault with such issues.
    drrao
    always confident

The term used by the author is correct. Rule - is one made by our own according to our facilitation. As rule vary from company to company, organisation to organisation, house to house, it is flexible. Human life is started without any rule or caste or religion but everything made by ourselves that too for our own facility. Earlier it has been told as four varnasrama, made according to the functions of human. Later we,ourselves created religion, caste etc., and formed rules and regulations accordingly. On the next stage some facilities, concessions and discrimination raised based on castes and religions. Now that in some Government removing the caste names in public and in the names of persons. But no individual person willing to remove his caste from his name as he want the facilities, concessions, reservations, aids from government based on their caste. On the other hand government itself declare to take up survey on castes. Amidst these chaos people let keep their caste and rules according to the castes.

A very good thought raised by the author in this thread. Social, cultural, and religious rules and regulations were formed by the people to make life easy and manage the things through those rules. With time they became very fixed and hard rules and not abiding by them was taken as offence.
    It is unfortunate that even the educated and learning people are trapped in following rules and regulations because they follow it not from their heart but just to please the family members and the society around and make everyone happy about it. We do not have any option of not abiding by them as it would lead to making all the people against oneself. Anything done in such a compulsive manner will always bring misfortune and misery whichever religion it might be.

Knowledge is power.

Though the thread may appear to be appealing there is much misunderstanding or lack of understanding on the matter.
    Fasting, penance or such other similar observances is not restricted to one religion or faith. Self-sacrifice in some form, -mainly by avoiding or abstaining from the pleasure giving activities - is a way of humans to show their faith in God or to test their own will power. That is why fasting,fully or partially, remaining celibate, avoiding alcoholic liquors, meat etc on certain occasions or for certain periods is undertaken by people.

But for most part it is voluntary. It is encouraged by propagating the spiritual and physical incentives obtained from doing so. Many present day studies have found truth or justification about the benefits from most of such observance also.

The Hindu Sanatana Dharma does not compel people to observe severe sacrifices, but allows them to do so voluntarily. But even there it has given many concessions and dilutions under certain conditions. These include when one is not well in health, when one is very poor, when one is under certain stressed situation etc. That is commonly known as Aapad Dharma. However they are exceptions under certain conditions and not a license to avoid the proper performance.

There are many stories when God was pleased by the sincere acts of real devotees even though they deviated from the traditional rules and observances. So it i allowed to perform certain rituals when one is having high fever to just sprinkle a few drops of holy water instead of full bath. Similarly a person who is susceptible to fasting ned not fast. Instead can take holy prasad or milk , fruits , etc in regulated quantity to sustain them during the time.
    Very old, sick and infants have been given exceptions and concessions in the rituals. There is also a word 'yathashkti' which means as per one's capacity.

Hence one need not blame the traditional guidelines for our own lack of full understanding.

The greatness of our country is the strong culture and tradition to which each religion is attached and the way the fasting and rituals are held since the ages, that cannot be stopped just because some one is sick nor incapable of prolonging with fasting. Teej festival is the age old tradition of keeping stern fasting by the wife for the welfare and good health of the husband and she need to brace up the challenge as the whole society would be doing the fasting. By the way no one would be forcing to observe fasting and it all depends on the wife and her concern for the husband. For that matter we cannot blame the festivities which attache lots of prominence and importance across the country. The modern women may feel detached from these customs and may even argue against it but it left to their conscience whether to follow the same or not.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I am not blaming any festival, I too understand the value of our culture and traditional importance but here my message is for those people who give more importance to fasting or any religious rules than a person life. Women are afraid that if they will. Not follow the system of this fast, affects their husband's life and this is wrong.

• Sign In to post your comments