You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Reward Programs

E-book creative writing Team challenge - know your Team members

We've received 10 registrations for the e-book team challenge. Accordingly, five teams with two members each will compete to write the best e-book. In this thread, get to know the teams and the role of the captain as mentioned earlier.

The teams have been formed as per the order of the registrations. Accordingly, the first five are the Captains, and the next five are matched with them in the order they registered. The five teams are-
    1. Neelam (Captain) and Sun
    2. Umesh (Captain) and Dr Deepali Gangwar
    3. Dr N.V. Srinivasa Rao (Captain) and Ryyu
    4. Saji Ganesh (Captain) and Radha Muralidhar
    5. Shampa Sadhya (Captain) and Dr Sanchita Ranjan

Here's what the Captains have to do-
    (i) Select the theme from any one of these photos that were submitted in this thread (one photo of each member has been selected)- postbox, stencil, fountain pen, transistor, batik saree, TV set. What is shown in the photo that you have selected will be the theme of your e-book. That is, the story will center around that object (s). More than one team can select the same photo. The jury panel will judge the e-books in their individual capacity and not compare if more than one team selects the same photo.
    (ii) Decide on the genre of the story- mystery, humour, horror, sci-fi, anything you wish.
    (iii) You have to write the first chapter and decide who will write the other chapters. Each of you will be writing only two chapters as this will be a mini e-book (so the total will be four chapters). So you can write the first and last chapter or the first and second one or the first and third one, as per your choice.

In this thread itself, the Captains will mention the photo that they have selected and the genre. Choice of chapters as mentioned in (iii) above can be selected later when the story unfolds, and accordingly, you will mention the selection in your e-book thread. Each team will submit their stories in their individual threads in the competition entry category of the forum. This and other details, including rules about word limit, etc, and the cash prizes will be revealed in the main contest announcement thread.

You may post your queries in a response to this thread.
    Managing Editor, Please correct my name. There is a typographic mistake. It is actually DR.N V Srinivasa Rao. But it is mentioned as DR. N.K. Srinivasa Rao. I regret the inconvenience.
    drrao
    always confident

My apologies Dr. N.V. Srinivasa Rao. The forum Lead Editor corrected it right away on seeing your response last night.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Note that the Captain can alert the team member about submitting the chapter on time in case the 24-hour time frame is approaching and the chapter has not yet been submitted. This alert can be sent through the ISC messaging system, provided, of course, the privacy settings feature is not in place to block the communication.

A tip for this challenge- In deciding who will write which chapter, strategy can come into play. Consider an example with the team of Neelam and Sun. Neelam, as Captain, writes the first chapter and Sun writes the second one. Neelam, on reading Sun's chapter, decides that it is an excellent write-up and he should continue the story with the third chapter as well, and then she will put the closing chapter. Alternatively, Neelam feels Sun has not maintained a proper flow of the story so decides to get it back on track with the third chapter, and instructs Sun to close the chapter, even specifically mentioning a particular element to be included in the concluding chapter. This communication (about including which element) should be conveyed openly through a response in the team's e-book thread so that the jury panel is aware of the Captain's strategy and will consider it when judging the story's flow. In such a case, the 24-hr clock will start ticking from the time of that response.

Captains are requested to mention today which photo and genre has been selected so that the start of the contest can be announced tomorrow.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I will go with the photo of the fountain pen and the genre will be humour.
    I want to know the procedure that can be adapted to contact the team member in case of any clarification or suggestion is required.

drrao
    always confident

I am selecting the item 'Transistor' and genre is fiction. I also understand that when the rules are announced and schedule for starting the mini ebook is given by ISC then I have to start my ebook thread where I will be writing my parts and my team member Dr Deepali will be writing her parts. In between if we have to ask or advise each other or instruct then we have to do it in the same thread and we are not supposed to talk outside of it like email or phone. Is my understanding correct?
    Knowledge is power.

As I mentioned, team members can contact each other using the messaging system of ISC. The messaging system will send your communication to whichever email ID has been given by the member in the profile account. To maintain privacy, the contact number and email IDs are not known to others except the admin. so it would be best to keep it that way and not exchange such details. You are also free to exchange instructions in the thread of your e-book.

Umesh- your selection of fiction is very broad. Please be more specific. You can, if you so wish, look up different types of genres online and select one.

If any Captain does not mention their selections, I will send them a message individually to do so quickly.

In continuation to my earlier response at #744806, I am selecting the genre as 'Love Story' under the broad term 'Fiction'.
    Knowledge is power.

I select the photo of 'batik saree' and, the genre will be a mystery for my team.
    shampasaid

I will select saree as photo and mystery as the genre for the story to be written in E-Book
    "It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

I have sent a message to Saji Ganesh, requesting him to put in his selections. In the meanwhile, in any case, I will make the announcement of the contest later today.

The challenge begins!

The teams and selected theme and genre are-
    1. Neelam (Captain) and Sun: Batik saree + Mystery
    2. Umesh (Captain) and Dr. Deepali Gangwar: Transistor + Love
    3. Dr. N.V. Srinivasa Rao (Captain) and Ryyu: Fountain pen + Humour
    4. Saji Ganesh (Captain) and Radha Muralidhar: not mentioned as yet.
    Note- he can mention the selection of the theme and genre later also and contact his team member about the same, but if, as Captain, he fails to submit the first chapter within the time frame, the team can still participate if they so wish, but will not be eligible for prizes/cc.
    5. Shampa Sadhya (Captain) and Dr. Sanchita Ranjan: Batik saree + Mystery

Since this concept of teamwork is being initiated for the first time, there may be a few doubts and hiccups. Hence, this thread will be kept open for the duration of the entire contest for clarifications of any aspect of the contest.

I tried to contact my team member by sending an email to him as mentioned by the Managing Editor. It is more than 24 hours. There is no reply from him. If he is not continuing the story, what should I do is the doubt I have now in my mind.
    drrao
    always confident

Mr. Rao,
    Where is your story? Not traced. You have 24 hours to wait from the time of submission of your story chapter one. Ryyu will contact you only if required. You should go ahead with your first chapter without waiting for your team member. Let us have a smooth start of this contest with your humour mixed pen.

No life without Sun

Dr. Rao,

It is up to the participants to be alert and not depend on direct communications with each other. Also, as Sun stated, have you submitted your chapter already? I could not see any such thread. Once the first chapter of each e-book is submitted, we will put blue pins to all so that team members can see them easily.

Before submitting my chapter I want to communicate to him about my selection. With that intention I sent a email to him
    Anyhow I will go ahead with my story
    I will post it tomorrow.

drrao
    always confident

Dear Vandana,

Even my captain has not posted anything. I had sent a message to him to select a theme.
    Could you please extend the time so that we can also compete for the prizes?

Radha,

Please read what I stated in response #744891. The time cannot be extended. This is a contest and it was clearly mentioned much earlier that it would be announced on the 19th. It is possible that Saji was unable to log in for a valid reason, but whatever it is, we cannot change the rules once the contest is announced. It will not be fair to the other teams.

Everyone should note that members may not necessarily check their emails daily as has been my own personal experience when sending communications inquiring about a long absence or providing guidance on an article. That is why I mentioned that participants should be alert, that it is essential that once you register for a contest, it is your responsibility to check the forum threads related to it.

Ryyu, Please see the thread I have posted for the contest. I gave the link in the concerned thread. Please submit your second chapter in time.
    drrao
    always confident

Dr Rao,

As the Captain, you should post your instructions to the team member in your e-book's thread.

Captain Neelam,
    I have submitted my Chapter II at 1250 hrs today. Post your Mystery Chapter III before 1250 hrs tomorrow.

No life without Sun

Everyone,

I am patiently requesting again - I have clearly mentioned in responses in this thread and in the contest announcement, please communicate with your team member in your own e-book thread. It is easier to follow that single thread instead of looking at the other threads associated with the contest.

Managing Editor. Hereafter I will do the same thing. I regret the inconvenience caused in this regard.
    drrao
    always confident

Vandana,
    I understand once you confirm the rules you should strictly adhere to it

Waiting for another opportunity to take part in next ISC announcement

Vandana,
    A request. Not to disappoint Madam Radha Muralidhar, why not she be appointed as Captain and allow her to start writing her two chapters with a gap of 24 hrs as Editor Saji may or may not join the contest.

Saji will have another three days to join. Thus, the contest will have more participants with an additional e-book.

If Saji joins the team and wins, the team captain Radha Muralidhar can be awarded a small prize, nothing to Saji.

No life without Sun

Thank you Vandana. I will wait for the final call.

Things stand as they are. We cannot change aspects mid-contest. It is possible there are some Net connectivity issues or some personal reasons for Saji not joining and if he steps in even later before the completion of the other e-books, we can take in their e-book as well without the eligibility for the prizes.

Sun- kindly avoid issuing directives and requests. As the contest organizer, let me make the decisions. I know it may not be a perfect contest and, as I already said, there are likely to be hiccups since this is the first attempt at a team contest. You can give your feedback at the end of the contest.

Vandana, ME,
    Yesterday at 12.47 PM I have posted my chapter and advised my team member Ryyu to write the next chapter well within the time. But there is no response from him and the time is over. Now please advise me on the next course of action. Can I post the 2nd chapter and wait for a response from my team member. I wait for your instructions.

drrao
    always confident

Vandana,
    Sorry Madam, It is due to over enthusiasm about your lovely contest. I won't repeat again.

No life without Sun

Yes Dr. Rao, you can go ahead and write the second chapter. If Ryyu logs in, he can then write the remaining two chapters.

Participants and other members should not raise threads commenting on submitted chapters. It is inappropriate to do so when the contest is ongoing.

Ma'am, apologies for not being able to join in after having registered. I was unable to do so due to the unexpected demise of my mother-in-law. Sorry, Radha for the inconvenience.

Can I post my story today?

'Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power'. -Lao Tzu

Saji,

Condolences for the loss of your mother-in-law. May her soul rest in peace.

As mentioned in response #744891, yes, you can still participate since the contest is ongoing. However, contrary to what was stated therein, since this was an unfortunate turn of events that was unforeseen, we will consider your entry for the prizes as well.

No issues, ma'am. I have selected the postbox and have sent a message to Radha whether it is okay with her.

Very sorry to have heard the demise of your mother - in - law. May her soul rest in peace.

Saji,
    Sorry to hear the sad news about the demise of your MIL. My deepest condolences to you and your bereaved family members. May her good soul rest in peace.

No life without Sun

It is sad that your mother in law has demised, Saji Ganesh. My deepest condolences to you and your family. I pray God to see that her soul will rest in peace. Ohm Shanti.
    drrao
    always confident

Vandana. ME,
    It is more than 24 hours and there is no response from Ryyu, my team member. I have posted the 2nd chapter also. Please advise me if any action I have to take. There is no response from him for my mail message also,

drrao
    always confident

Dr Rao - It is unfortunate that your team member did not participate so that e-book will not be eligible for prizes. I suggest, though, that you go ahead and complete the story yourself with the remaining two chapters latest by tomorrow midnight. It doesn't look good to have an incomplete story.

Saji - any issue again? If you and Radha are able to submit and complete your team's e-book latest by tomorrow midnight, well and good, otherwise let it be since the other e-books are already completed. You can participate properly in the next one.

Vandana. ME
    No problem. Prizes are not very important. Anyhow, I am thinking that I will complete the story by writing the remaining two chapters at the earliest.

drrao
    always confident

Vandana ME,
    I am not able to post my chapter 3 in that thread as one member can't post more than two responses in a row. You have to make a post there so that I can post my two chapters after that. Kindly I request you to do the needful.

drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao,

I forgot about that! I have posted a response just now. Go ahead and complete the e-book.

Vandana, ME.
    Thank you. I have already made the two chapters ready and I will post them accordingly.

drrao
    always confident

Vandana, ME,
    With your kind support, I completed all four chapters of the ebook. Thank you for your coperation.

drrao
    always confident

Ma'am, challenging time, it seems. I could not post the story as promised since my mother got unwell and I have to take her to the doctor for different tests. I have requested Radha to post the chapters if possible. So sorry for the inconvenience.

Since I had given Saji and Radha a chance to participate till midnight tonight if they so wish, we will wait till tomorrow to officially declare the contest closed. Otherwise, we can close it today if Saji and Radha are not going to submit their e-book and they can let us know accordingly.

Looks like our responses crossed.

Saji - Sorry to hear about your trying times. Wishing your mother good health. I suggest leaving the e-book for now. We will close the contest.

Vandana,
    Thanks for giving me time to post. I will start postingy story . However,I am unable to get the link to open the contest content. Could you please send the link so that I can start writing at the earliest. I am choosing the theme Batik saree

Radha,

You were given the opportunity up to midnight yesterday (Sunday). Details of how to submit were given in the contest announcement thread. I do not understand why you were confused about it. Anyway, let it be now. We are closing the contest and will discuss it in a thread I will put up later.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.