You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Snap writing to test your efficiency in quick/spontaneous writing - A Diwali contest.

Dear Members,
    You must have heard or come across 'Snap talk' during the tests and interviews. One has to pick up a subject and speak on that subject for 3 minutes without any time for preparation or with a few minutes time for preparation.

In ISC, we cannot talk but can write only. Therefore, I would like to organize a contest called 'Snap writing' to test the efficiency of the members as to how quickly they can give a write-up on a given subject within a time frame.

How to go about
    1. Members interested to participate are to register their names in this thread. Along with their names, they should indicate the date and time at which they will be available at ISC.
    E.G.
    Mr.....ABC. Willing. Will be available on Sunday the 31 October - at 1100 hrs
    Mr.....XYZ. Willing. Will be available on Monday the 1st November at 2000hrs

2. On the day and time indicated by the members, I(Sun) will post a response like this.
    Mr. ABC. I am online. Are you ready for the contest?
    Mr. ABC (should watch for the response) should respond " Yes. I am ready"
    I (Sun) will respond " Okay. Your topic for the write up is .............. (The one-word topic will be a noun only) Your time starts now."
    The member should start preparing the write-up and submit it after 10 minutes of writing.
    (The time gap between my response saying 'Your time starts now and the time of submission of members write up should have a difference of 10 minutes only (less or more than 10 minutes will be rejected). However, one minute more than 10 minutes would be acceptable. If my response was posted at 1105, the write-up should be posted at 1115 or 1116) For this you need to synchronize your clocks/watches with ISC clock.

3. The write-up will be evaluated for its good content, grammar and spelling mistakes and the maximum number of words used.

Dear members,
    Why delay? If you all have understood and are willing to participate, kindly register your name with the date and time of availability. Also, post your doubts/queries/clarifications if any, in this thread.

Note: This contest will be 'ON' for 10 days from 01 November to 10th November. Members can register and participate at any time between 1 to 10 November.

After getting a few names of participants, a separate thread will be raised for the conduct of the contest.
    Dear ME,
    A few minutes back I saw this thread hanging on top of the forum index. I attempted to edit/add some information. Thereafter, this thread returned to its normal position. I do not know the reason.

Madam, If you have something in mind, kindly edit and make the necessary changes for the successful conduct of this Diwali Snap writing contest. I shall cooperate and go as per your directives.

No life without Sun

Sun,

I did not see any such movement of your thread to the top and again down, and as far as I can see the edit button is open for corrections by you. I have no directives except the opinion that likely since it is the week of Diwali, members may not have time to participate.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Since I have given the time for the contest is between 1st and 10th November, there shouldn't be any problem for the members to participate.
    Let me hope positively that at least a few members would register for this interesting contest.

No life without Sun

Utterly disappointed to see NO response from the highly educated, intelligent and smart ISC colleagues. I was hoping that at least three members like Dr.Rao, Mohan, Swati, Neelam, Umesh would respond to participate in this contest. Even if I had one participant, others would have followed suit after looking at the first participant's performance. Hence I kept the registration open for 10 days.

Anyhow, I sincerely thank you all for your silence. Yet I am waiting with some hope to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

No life without Sun

Dear Vandana,
    I am willing to participate. Please add my name. I will be available on Saturday 6th of November 2021.
    Radha Muralidhar

Sun, I am in two minds. The reason is timing. When I am online you may not be coming online. So I am not able to make my mind. Anyhow, I am ready to participate and you can see me online tomorrow morning at 11 AM. Is it OK for you? Please confirm today itself so that tomorrow I will be online by 11 AM. Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.
    drrao
    always confident

Sun, I will be ready to take part in the contest around 6.00. Please do the needful

Very pleased to note that two of our Members Radha Muralidhar and Dr.Srinivasa Rao have volunteered to participate in the Snap writing contest.

Dear Radha and Rao,
    Sorry, I could not log in owing to my sudden sickness that developed on Friday, I had to visit Manipal hospital on Saturday and I could not comply with your timing. Again I need to go to Manipal hospital and get admitted tomorrow Monday. Therefore, it will be possible for me to conduct the contest today Sunday anytime between 0900 hrs to 2300 hours(for 14 hours).

Kindly intimate if your time of availability between the above said period. I will ensure myself to make available at your time and go ahead with the contest.

Thanks for showing interest in this Snap writing contest.

No life without Sun

Sun,
    I am sorry to hear about your health issues. Please get well soon and inform me when are fit and proper. I am willing to wait till then. Take care.
    Radha Muralidhar

Madam Radha,
    Since we both are Online, I can conduct the test now. Are you ready for the test now? I am ready. Synchronize your clock/watch with the ISC clock. Now time is 0746 hrs.

No life without Sun

I think Radha has gone off the line. Waiting for Dr. Rao's availability today after 0900 hrs.
    No life without Sun

I am here online. For your information. I will try to write something about the item you are going to give with in that 10 minutes time.
    drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao, I am ready. Are you ready.?
    No life without Sun

Yes. I am ready
    drrao
    always confident

Dr, Rao,
    Your topic for snap writing is = ANT
    Your time starts now. 1125 hrs

No life without Sun

Ant is a small creature which is having very high patience and good planning skills. They are very careful in obtaining their food. They are good examples of saving habits. They save food for the rainy season. They move in groups and if one ant dies all other ants will come there are carry the dead body of the dead ant.
    My grandfather used to tell me a story during my childhood. The ant used to pray daily to God. One day the God came to him and asked what is that it wants. It has asked God that one should die as soon as it bites. God understood in a different way and accorded that boon. If an ant bites any of us immediately it will die. That is how an ant made its life shorter. So my grandfather used to say that when we pray to God we should be very careful and should use correct words only.
    From an ant, we should learn the need for hard work and savings to have a better life.

drrao
    always confident

Mr. Rao,
    Good. You are the first participant and the contest is successful. You have written 178 words within 8 minutes. (speed 22 wpm)
    Since there is no other participant to contest against you, there is no selection. If any other member comes forward to register and participate today Sunday, it would be a very interesting snap writing contest.

Well done.

Waiting for others to join today.

No life without Sun

Sun, first my apology that due to the hectic Diwali schedule and other compelling reasons I could not attend this interesting contest conceptualised by you. Unfortunately, due to the slackness in activities everywhere during the Diwali, it did not materialise in the way you dreamed about it.
    Anyway, we are never too late in our lives and now just at 12:50 hours noon time I am actually ready for receiving your spontaneous topic for writing and if you are online and available then please give me a topic so that I try my level best to write on it. I am online for at least an hour now and then I have to go out for some gathering.
    Over to you.

Knowledge is power.

Madam Radha,
    I am on line and ready. Hope your are also on line. If you are ready, respond now. I shall wait till 2 p.m.
    If no contact, I shall be online at 1700 hrs as per your time indicated in your PM.
    Waiting.

No life without Sun

Sun , I am on line, you can give me topic to answer forth with as I was not given credence to this thread earlier.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I will be here up to 2:30 and if it is convenient to you then you can give me a topic right now.
    Knowledge is power.

Mohan,
    I hope you are online. I am ready. Are you ready for the snap writing now? If you say yes. Keep checking this thread's responses.

No life without Sun

Yes ready, give the topic just now.
    K Mohan @ Moga

Mohan,
    Good. Your topic is - ELEPHANT
    Your time starts now. Time is 1342 hrs

No life without Sun

When we talk about elephant, it can always be compared with the elephantine task which we undergo sometime in the life which are cumbersome, time consuming and yet we are forced to do such work. And we are given the task to test our patience and working pleasure. Elephants have huge strength bestowed in them and they would not relent for any kind of damage control and they take the task very seriously. Same way some of the people who are workaholic and does not rest nor fear for the task as they take every thing into their stride and work with ease and for sure. While elephants have the great quality of moving in herds their strength gets manifold to achieve something in unison, like wise those who are wise and drawn wisdom from their education can also do enormous work within shorter period and with great finesse.
    K Mohan @ Moga

Mohan,
    Good. Your snap write-up contains only 149 words. You wrote it in 5 minutes. Your writing speed is 30 wpm. While you were told to write for 10 minutes, you have used only 5 minutes.

Mr. Umesh,
    Are you online? If online, indicate your readiness.

No life without Sun

I am online and available for an hour. You can if you so wish give me a topic for snap writing.
    Knowledge is power.

Umesh,
    Topic for you - RAT
    Your time starts now. Time is - 1358 hrs

No life without Sun

Generally, rats create problem in our house and do a lot of mischievous activities like cutting the small boxes, making holes in food packets, storing things in some big holes etc. One day a rat entered our kitchen and settled in one cupboard and though we tried with many ways but we could not force it out of the kitchen and it somehow went from one corner to other and tricked us. An idea came in our mind and we kept some food in one corner and left the kitchen. It started to eat the food that we kept for it and surprisingly it did not create much disturbance. It remained in our kitchen for 4-5 days eating the given food from the same place and one day we saw that it had cut the kitchen window jali (net) and ran out from that and then did not return. We felt sad about it as it did not do any mischief and simple ate what we gave it. Animals are also intelligent and understand many things that we might not imagine about them.
    Knowledge is power.

Umesh,
    Good. Your write up contains 183 words written within 9 minutes. Your speed of writing is 20 wpm.

No life without Sun

It is really an interesting event going on and reading the above comments I felt more interested. If you are online I would like to be part of this ongoing game/ story writing competition.
    If not, I am available today around 5. In all stories, I like the best the story by Dr Rao, the story of Ant, which I never heard before.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Next time you try the response from members through their cell phone voice recording. What I feel that some are good at talking very fast than writing the matter on the phone or computer. If you really want to test the skill of the person, then ask any topic to be answered on the spot within the time allotted. And those who are responding immediately also prove that they are well versed with all topics or words and their ready made prompt response would give the best idea as to how they are bestowed with rare quality of responding forthwith over the phone when asked for.
    K Mohan @ Moga

Members,
    This Snap Writing contest has been successful. This was a trial contest to know how best this contest can be organized. All the three members DR. Rao, Mohan and Umesh have done their best by coming up online to meet the requirements. Mrs. Radha will participate at 5 p.m.

Now other members might have come to know what type of contest is this, and might like to participate in future.

I humbly request our Managing editor to organize this contest by announcing Cash prizes that would attract the members to participate with zeal and enthusiasm.

Members are requested to post their comments about this contest, and suggest changes/modification if required.

No life without Sun

Neelam and Radha,
    Since you both have indicated 5 p.m today Sunday, I shall be on line at 5 p.m. When you come on line, post a response to show your presence. Thank You.

No life without Sun

Yes, I liked the idea. As earlier I did not understand the whole idea and concept very well and how it is going to work, now I have got some idea how it is going to work.
    Since there is no option like live chat on ISC it is difficult to assess the success rate of such competition. But it can be organised. And if it gets I would like to participate in it.
    If it made into the competition I think it will be better for the organiser to give the timing early hand and all the members to be present, and if the member can not be present at that time they will tell that in this manner other could read the stories in real-time.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Sun, I shall be on line and be ready at 17.00 hours as planned. Thank you

Radha and Neelam
    I will be online at 1700.
    A small change. As both Radha and Neelam would be online, both the participants will be given a single topic for snap writing. As you both will be writing simultaneously, there is no chance of one viewing the other write-up. This will be the ideal method to select the best write-up between the two. And it would be a real competition. Many simultaneous write-ups from different participants on a single topic.

Waiting for 1700 hrs.

No life without Sun

I am here, waiting for my snap topic.

Where are yoi am waiting

Radha and Neelam, I am on line. I will post the topic after a minute.
    No life without Sun

Radha and Neelam,
    Topic for you is - MOTHER-in-LAW
    Your time starts now - Time 1706 hrs

No life without Sun

Mother in Law and Daughter in law this relationship has always been seen as something not full of flowers and love but a few sourness taunts but still going on. But this is not the true case, this can become very good as well if both the parties are ready to understand each other and each other's point of view.
    This relationship is often seen in the context of a girl and her mother in law only but this should also be seen from a boy and his mother in law as well, often which is not the case since a boy is not expected to be as devout to his in-laws as a girl is expected. A son in law can also become like a son if he tries a little bit.
    Today in the age of social media women are not only breaking the stereotype of bad relations with their in-laws but coming together to make so many videos, content and ceremonies on social media. This may be a social media stunt or gimmick but it is happening it should be seen as something good. And a good chance in the society getting better every day in terms of relations.
    At the end of the day it all depends on people how they want to preserve a relation, any relationship can become happy and ideal if people are willing to work upon it.
    A boy or a girl should treat in-laws like his or her parents and in-laws should treat their respective daughter in law and son in law as their own children and we will see how the stereotypes changes in society.

Sun, I feel you are not well. Therefore, I am willing to postpone my time on any other day preferable to you.
    I hope you don't have any medical issues
    God bless you.
    Radha Muralidhar

Ok. Sun
    Since Neelam has posted. I will also participate now.please coe on line now

Radha,
    You have spoiled the competition by not attempting to write, despite your curiosity shown to participate in this contest. Enquiring my wellness and postponing your answer is a lame excuse.

I am online as I am comfortable without any serious medical issues. Bad I must say.

Neelam,
    Well done. Your write-up confains 275 words within 8 minutes. Your thinking and writing speed is very good with 34.5 wpm. You deserve appreciation.

No life without Sun

Sun , can I post my article around 9.00 pm today. Since I already know Neelam topic you please give me a new snap topic at 9.00 pm

Today at 9.00 pm. I will be waiting

Sorry, Madam Radha,
    Despite my clear explanation to write the write-up simultaneously on a single topic, you failed to write. I am highly disappointed.
    You can participate when I or ISC organize such a contest in the future.

No life without Sun

Sorry Sun,
    It is my mistake. I will wait for another opportunity. You are following I SC rules.
    Radha Muralidhar

Radha,
    I expected a good competition between Radha and Neelam on the topic 'Mother-in-law'.

I shall conduct it if I get any more volunteer to participate at 9 p.m. If no one, forget this contest.

Let us wait to conduct or forget.

No life without Sun

Can you give me the new topic . No body has come forward

I have been waiting since 9.00 pm

Okay, Radha,
    Not to disappoint you, I shall give you an opportunity,
    I am ready. Are you ready?
    If you are ready, I shall give you the topic at 9.45 hrs. Come up at that time and indicate your readiness.

No life without Sun

Sorry, Madam Radha,
    The time is exhausted. I Waited till 9.52 hrs. No response from you.

Dear Editors, Kindly lock this thread, please.

No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.