You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How right and wrong this sutak system is.

Most of us are probably familiar with the word Sutak, yet if anyone does not know the name of this word, then I would like to tell. This is a time period, which is of a few days when a person in the family or family dies, then along with that family, the families of other members of their family also start Sutak which ranges from 4 days. Could be up to 7 days. In this Sutak time, the family members do not worship or do any other auspicious work. It is fine for other works but I do not understand the logic of banning worship. Apart from this, for people who are far away from the family or are related in a very distant relationship, why should they follow the Sutak rule. I respect the rules given in the scriptures, but still, is there any science behind it. Share your experiences and thoughts, is this practice adopted in all societies.
    For all the rituals giving a scientific reason is very difficult and we may not be knowing also. Certain issues are being followed as per the custom of the family without questioning why it should be followed. But as mentioned by the other if we know the reasoning we will be more sincere in our efforts.
    When a person of the family dies, the family will be in sorrow and they can't enjoy their time. So the friends and relatives who are staying around try to passivate them. These relatives and friends will be trying to maintain a low profile during these days so that the family of the deceased family will slowly become normal.

drrao
    always confident

Sutaka period as far as my knowledge is concerned is a period of mourning for a dead person. But rules, code of conduct number of days( in accordance to the number of generations through which one is connected) in this period vary from region to region.
    In my home state of Uttarakhand's Kumaon region if a dead person is connected to someone by the ties of more than four generations that person will have to follow sutaka rules for three days and when the separation of generation is less than four-generation ( like grandfathers uncles) he/she will follow sutaka rule for 10 days and immediate family for 13 days plus the immediate family will not celebrate any function for one year, not visit any big pilgrimage centre (till the time of Barshi one year of death).
    In ancient times It was written down to keep the family units ("Kula") united despite the separation of generations and it is still doing that function.
    Ín these modern times it is not feasible to expect everyone to follow these rules and restrictions of eating, clothing and worshipping so when it comes to following Sutaka rules it should not be enforced it should be left to an individual will if he/she wants to follow these rules or not.
    Even though I don't believe in these things but two years ago when my grandfather died I followed all those rules as I believed it will somehow make my grandfather's soul happy and will give him peace.
    Ultimately I believe any kind of faith, rituals and rules should be left to the discretion of individuals rather than enforcing them, if people have faith they will follow these rules if they don't then following these things doesn't make much difference.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

We believe in existing of God. As per Hindu religion mythology, we perform pooja for the ancestors during the mourning period which is a maximum of 13 days from the date of death. Whenever the soul departs from the body, the soul enters an artificial energetic body, it reaches the first sub-world where the list of your life activities history is changed by the evaluation of the works in the world and the addition of extra-special services achieved to decide the future of soul. It takes place over a period of 13 days. From here, the soul is instructed to go to one of the three segments:
    The people in heaven to enjoy the beauty of good works served,
    To enjoy the results of normal works such as fulfilling assigned duties or to hell, people suffer the punishment.
    It is said in the Gita that the process of going to soul place, hell place, father place, and heaven place forms the path of Dakshinayana or Krishna Gati. Uttarayana or Shuklagati through which the soul reaches the mediating God or Divine Father. In this world we live are called the mortal soul place.
    Accordingly, we maintain the formalities for the overall improvement of the soul of our departed family member.

Believe in the existence of God the superpower.
    Regards
    Dhruba

In Hindi you call it Sutak , in Tamil we call it Theetu and in English it may be mourning. The system of observing forgoing every pleasure of life during the death of blood relations occur for 10 days in our system. During the 10 days the house holds would not go to the kitchen nor sleep in the bed. They will choose normal way of life not mingling with others. Those who are not married in the house would do all the house hold works and mother, father would be observing 10 days off from routines if someone dies from husband blood relations. This practice is coming from the ages and we cannot question it. What I feel that when we have not seen him or her but observing the mourning is the last respect we are giving to the departed soul and we should not question as to what for and why as the elders passed this legacy.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is a very old ritual and custom which is followed in many communities across the world of course in varying ways. The main idea behind this practice is to give respect to the deceased and keep away from any fun or enjoyment activities. We have to simply remember that the deceased was one of the most important person in our lives and we feel grieved because of his departure. Whatever number of days it is observed ranging from 3 to 10 days in general in India, the ritual continues.
    Knowledge is power.

Sutak is a Sanskrit word and it implies that after the death of a family member, the family members don't mix with outside members, relatives, or neighbors. Usually, this sutakam is 11 -13 days in Hindu culture. The daughters who got married and very close relatives have 3 days sutakam. The scientific reason behind this practice is to prevent the spread of disease-causing germs of the dead bodies to others. After completing this sutak period, all the people of the house take a head bath, and the whole house will be washed thoroughly. This will help to clean the disease-causing germs from the individuals and the house. During all these days, Nitya karma where a lot of fire will be made for Homa that will kill all germs. During this time family members have to pray to God and think about some good deeds. This will help to pacify the family members to overcome the grief of a dead member of the family. In a pandemic we have seen, a person infected with the virus was isolated for 14 days so that other members are not affected by the virus. Thus the old age practice is a wise system created by our ancestors to prevent the spread of disease-causing germs from the dead body.

• Sign In to post your comments