You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Woman celebrating Chath-Pooja in the foamy Yamuna

It is a month full of festivities and festivals and in the long list of festivals we celebrate, one such festival is Chath-Pooja celebrated in the regions of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar and some other nearby regions around these states. One of the rituals involved in this pooja is dipping in holy waters in the rivers.
    There are pictures circulating these days where women are seen taking dips in the waters of Yamuna in Delhi which is full of white foam.
    The level of pollution in the Yamuna is known all over India, the river is filled with sewage waste, industrial waste and every kind of waste that is generated around the settlements around it.
    The toxicity of water is well known all over the world, it is more like a sewage drain these days than the river and smells very foul when someone goes nearby.
    Despite all these people are doing such rituals, shouldn't this be banned?
    This kind of dipping can not only lead to skin diseases to these people but many unknown side effects, Firstly these people should have been self-aware not to take such risks, but if they are not understanding the depth of the situation governments should intervene in the matter.
    Years and Years of river cleaning programmes with no such results has made one thing clear that the situation is not going to improve for the condition of the water.
    But the least people could do is save themselves. And the government should stop the usage of such water until it is potable or at least can be used for washing at least,
    What is your take on the situation?
    Is it right to follow rituals at the cost of one's health?
    Is it right to go to such an extent?
    Some times against the strong aastha or belief nothing seen as the challenger and when it comes to determined women they go to any extent to prove their praying capacity for the welfare of the family, This is the winter season and having dip on cold waters of rivers would give challenging time to the women folk and yet they do it no matter it has the froth. We are not going to say anything as it pertains to rituals and customs of the tradition followed by everyone. If the health is not permitting, then none should take risk of having the dip in cold waters. Unfortunately in our society the ladies would have the group and they follow the religious functions very promptly and very correctly and for them the health setbacks or some one stopping them from doing does not matter, as they want to perform at any cost.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Superstitions die hard. The faith they have in the rituals will make them do that. Probably they go back and will take a bath again in good water. That may keep them away from problems of dipping in polluted water. In earlier days people used to say that the water in Ganga is very polluted especially in Varanasi. But people never stopped to have a dip there. No complaints were received about the health issues because of this bath.
    When you analyse many practices that are followed in different faiths scientifically we will not get any explanation for the deeds. But they follow.

drrao
    always confident

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

"Despite all these people are doing such rituals, shouldn't this be banned?"

I am surprised why the author is bent upon banning some events ? Did these poor women pollute the river? Why the author does not ask for punishing the polluters ?

I feel the author is also like those who attribute the Carbon emission to the alimentary gases sent out by the cows in India cleverly forgetting and hiding the millions and millions of vehicle exhausts and factory exhausts, land, see and sky transport and weaponry use all over the world.

It was the responsibility of the government to have cleaned or ensured clean river for the people. People have their right to celebrate their traditional festivals. The author (I feel) is also one among the growing brigade of selectively targeting festivals of a certain section of people and turning a blind eye to all other celebrations.

This thread does not have any logic or stand in the matter raised.

If the author is so concerned about the health of those women, then there are many other creative ways for it. I read in Kerala newspapers that there are thousands of school teachers in Kerala who had not taken Covid vaccination due to their religious faith. I invite the author's benevolent attention to save them and also save poor school children and other people's health by vaccinating them or asking government to take due measures in this regard to save the society and country.(Please refer :newindianexpress.com/ (states/kerala/2021/nov/02/2300-kerala-teachers-skip-covid-vaccine-citingreligious-reasons-stay-at-home-2378550.html). You can get details about this searching in the net.

Venketishwaran sir, All I am saying is it is harmful to take a dip in such a toxic river with a high level of ammonia, I have not at any point said to ban the ritual altogether. But like the people who try to justify anything wrong just because it is associated with religion you are following that track as well.
    These rituals can be followed at home also with making an artificial pond, and these women need to be told about the skin diseases they might suffer because of these dips.
    This is no targeting of a particular religion or ritual but targeting od lack of awareness. And failed responsibility of so many governments who have failed to clean these rivers and now failing to protect their people.
    About the issue that you have mentioned if I would have been aware of these peope, I have condemned them equally.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Most of us are superstitious in the religion matters and we have been taught in the similar ways in our families. Taking dip in the river would cause Moksha and in that way there will be complete salvation of our soul. We don't know how far this analogy applies in our lives but at least we are fearful and would not like to commit any sin. However there are certain angles to be looked into before we take a dip in a holy river. If the samples of such waters are taken from the different sources of such rivers, we could find the presence of lead, arsenic, tin and other contaminants which could be the source of infection for the skin and possibilities of other diseases cannot be ruled out. May be a large proportion of our population are not aware of the dangerous side effects of waters flowing through these rivers. Public should be given appropriate training from the various sources so that they can change their habits. We should not compromise with the public health.

• Sign In to post your comments