You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you remember your childhood poems and magical stories?

When I was a child, I used to sing a poem to learn Numbers 1 to 10, and today I told the same to other children.

Daughter of 1 great king
    Was sick for 2 days
    3 Doctors came running
    Bring 4 medicine bottles
    Heated in 5 minutes
    Drink after 6 minutes
    Eyes opened in 7 minutes
    Spoke to the king in 8 minutes
    Strength back in 9 minutes
    Ran to play in 10 minutes

Many such small poems or those lovely magical stories of childhood make even the most difficult tasks easy. Never go away from that childhood, if you do not like it in front of everyone, then it is all right but you must meet your childhood when you are alone because it helps you to increase love for life and make things easy.
    Yes, I do remember many poems I liked during my childhood mostly in Hindi though. And a very few English ones but just a summary of them. And a few nursery rhymes.
    I have always liked poetry especially in Hindi, and I often write as well and read them aloud for a small circle of close friends. In English, I can only name a few that too from later years of school one such poem which is my all-time favourite is "the road not taken" by Robert Frost.
    And in hindi their is a long list of poems that I remember which goes like this-

From my 4th class- "khara himalaya bata raha hai daro na aandhi pani se,
    Khare raho tum avichal hoke sab sankat tufano me"
    Also from 4th class-"Abhi samay hai abhi nahi kuch bhi bigda hai, dekho suhyog tumhare pas khara hai, karna hai jo kam usi me chitt laga lo, apne pe viswas rakho sandeh mita do"

From 7th class- " path bhul na jana pathik kahin path me kante to honge hi, durvadal sarita sar honge sundar dundar nirjar honge, sundarta ki meig trishna me path bhul na jana pathik kahin"

From 7th (about subash chandra boss)- " wo khun kaho kis matlab ka jisme jeevan na rawani ho, jo parwas hoke behta hai wo khun nahi hai pani hai
    Bole subash swatantrata k liye balidan tunhe Karna Hoga,
    Bahut jee chuke ho jag me lekin aage Marna Hoga,

And the list goes on so I have just mentioned a few lines which I like.
    I liked the concept of this thread so I shared a few of them. Even though the site is mostly about content in English.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

After reading this poem, my thoughts went to my childhood learning which is still remembered. This following poem was told by my grand mother and that has wide knowledge of our religious attachment.

One , one God is one
    Two , two Hariraras are two
    Three, three Trimurtis are three
    Four , four Ram Lakshmanas are four
    Five, Five Pancha Pandavas are five
    Six, six Subramanyas are six
    Seven, seven Saptharishis are seven
    Eight, eight Ashatalaksmis are eight
    Nine, Nine Navagrahas are nine
    Ten, ten Dasavatars are ten.

Surely these kinds of poems are not learned by the present day children and that shows we are neglecting our own greatness.

K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I have not read many rhymes during my education in primary school. I studied in Telugu medium government school only. So I don't remember any rhymes of my childhood. But I read many poems in Telugu during my primary school and high school days. So I remember many poems I read those days. Many small poems tell us about the morals and values that are important in our life. I read many such poems and I remember now also those poems. I teach these poems to my granddaughters these days.
    Any subject we were taught in a proper manner will be remembered for many days and we will never forget them. But what we study just for the sake of writing in the examinations and getting marks will be forgotten easily I think. The stories we hear from our grandparents and parents will also be remembered forever.

drrao
    always confident

One more English poem I tried to remember during my school days.

Piggy on the Railway picking up the stones
    Down came the engine broke his bones
    Ah said the piggy that's not fair
    Oh said the engine driver I don't care

The above poem was well written and well conceived to the understanding level of the class one student and that is why even after 58 years I could remember the same.

K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments