You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Cabinet clears proposal to raise the marriageable age of women

This is great news for many girls aspiring to study but were forced to marry as soon as they turned 18. The Cabinet has cleared the proposal to raise the marriageable age of women from 18 to 21 years by amending the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act 2006 and further an amendment to the Hindu Marriage Act 1955. The proposed Bill will now be presented in the Parliament for approval.

At least now, they will be able to complete graduation and minimum qualification for many jobs in India. Earlier in many rural areas, people just waited till she turned 18 for her to marry thinking of her as a burden.

Now this is a good step by the current government towards a better and healthy society. What is your take on it?
    Neelam, it is a proposal that has been cleared by the Cabinet. Now the bill has to be passed by the Parliament so as to become effective as a law. It is a welcome step and will, hopefully, be passed by both the Houses. I am amending your thread accordingly with a suggestion that you should assess the facts properly before raising a thread on such matters. Let us not be in a hurry.
    'Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.' -Zig Ziglar

It is a welcome decision from the cabinet. Hopefully, it will be cleared by both the houses. The maturity levels of individuals will definitely improve as they cross their teenage. So girls can also think well about the issues concerned with the marriage and think in a better manner and then take a decision. We have seen many cases where girls are forced to stop their college studies because they are into their 19th year and parents insist they marry. But now 21 years means another 3 years time they get now.
    Now both the girl and the boy should complete 21 years to get married. Here also there is no differentiation between the genders and females will definitely feel happy about this. A well-thought decision from the central cabinet. Hope it will become a law shortly.

drrao
    always confident

This is very good decision on the part of union government as self reliant and women empowerment is stressed and the decision should be welcomed by all. 21 years is the right age for a girl to become self made person and even start earning for the parents. When the girl was getting married with 18 years as of now, the parents who were nurturing her with great studies and then job have been denied to enjoy at least one year with the girl with all good income. Now this new proposal would make the girl save for her own marriage and also help the parents in a better way to secure the life. And 21 years of age for both man and woman is also complying with equal opportunities bogey being raised now and then and thus the new proposal should be welcomed by all cutting across party lines and this should be made rule..
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is definitely a welcome move initiated by the Govt and once it becomes a law then it will benefit the girls to a quite good extent. One thing is that no one can force them for early marriages and other thing which is more important is that there are some cheats and frauds in the society who mislead the young girls and lure them away only to exploit them and then desert them. Now it would be a big crime if someone tries to lure for marriage the girls of age less than the new stipulated limit. This initiative will definitely help in the growth and bringing equality status of the women in the society.
    Knowledge is power.

This looks like a good idea. It may create some problems for the rural-based people who live on the wages earned by all the family members. In urban areas, the girls and the boys are marrying mostly after 25 years. The problem is for poor families. The parents will have difficulty managing the finances. These days the boys and girls are well informed in matters of physical relations from a very young age. We have to wait and see the possible effects this proposal is likely to cause in the younger generation as well as for the parents who may have to support the children for more period.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Thank you Saji Ganesh for correction. I will check news fully before posting next time.
    Mr Kvrr you are talking as if children are burdens to be borne by someone else. If people can have children they should be ready to bear their responsibility as well or educate them such that they can bear their own expenses. Your argument is so flawed how does a girl of 18 years forced into an unhappy marriage will make the life of her and her parents easy. This is the kind of thinking that believes women to be a burden and leads to infanticide and killing of girls even before they are born.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Surely this is a positive and necessary step because even though our country is coming on the verge of developed countries, but even today there is a large section whose mentality is backward, they do not want to keep the girls in the house for a long time, that is, early marriage, and just do your duty. Gone are the times when boys are single-handedly supporting their parents, girls are also performing the responsibility of two families very well and are learning to maintain a balance of both family and office. Marriage may not become a hindrance in the career, but still, if the girl gets married before marriage, along with the job, she learns other responsibilities as well as matures mentally and physically. So the age for marriage is 21 or more is actually the best decision for girls who really want to make their life as per their wishes.

Ms. Neelam, what I said is that the proposal looks good but some parents especially the rural people and wage earners may face some problems. The parents should bear the responsibility for the children's upbringing. To what extent? To the extent possible for them only. All the parents may not be able to give the education that the children want. They will educate within their means. My argument is not flawed. It is practical considering that nearly half the population in India is below the poverty line. No one is forced to get the girls married off after attaining 18 years. It should be left to the parents and the children. They will make a decision depending upon their family condition.
    I have mentioned another point about the change in children with relation to

Do not forget this is India where children in many cases depend on their parents even up to 25 years of age. It is very easy to say that this sort of thinking makes people believe that girl children are a burden and are killed even before they are born. Do not try to be dramatic. Those days when girl children are killed at birth are gone. Things have changed and notice the changes that are taking place. Do not be in the old mold. The parents are treating girl children equally with the boys.

Physical attraction will be a big problem also. The children these days are very knowledgeable than the older generations in these matters. There may be problems in that aspect also.

" Be Good and Do Good "

Mr Kvrr you need to ask this question to yourself.
    Am I being overdramatic or you are just trivialising, putting a blind eye and negating a serious issue as everyone does in this country.
    So I will directly quote data, facts and figures here.
    1) India is estimated to have over 24 million child brides. 40% of the world's 60 million child marriages take place in India according to the National Family Health Survey. The highest number of these marriages came from states like Rajasthan, Bihar.

2) There is a 50% rise in child marriages in India in 2020
    According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data of 2020, a total of 785 cases were registered under the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act. Among these cases
    the highest was in Karnataka at 184, followed by Assam at 138, West Bengal at 98, Tamil Nadu at 77 and Telangana at 62. And many more states on the list.

3) And according to UN reports India and China together account for about 90-95% of the estimated 1.5 million missing female births annually worldwide. The girls who are killed before being born.

Being poor does not make a person consider a daughter a burden.
    If they can't afford to have the burden of a child then they should not have them.
    Till the age of 18 years government-funded schools mid-day day, meals are available everywhere in the country and further schemes as well for higher education but to know about them one has to be literate enough.
    But when literate people defend such baseless things in the name of practicality what else can we expect from poor people?

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

And what is this constant fear in the older generation about the younger generation being able to choose and be with someone they like. What is wrong with the informed decision rather than a forced marriage gulped down on the people.
    And sir stop this patronising attitude of girls given equal opportunities. It is not something to be reminded of as a favour it is every girl right to be treated as such.

Ms. Neelam, with reference to the data provided, clearly indicates 40% of child marriages in the world take place in India. I attribute the reason for it as the failure of society and the government. Child marriages are not good and they should be stopped by taking all necessary measures.
    According to the data provided by you, there is a 50% rise in child marriages in India in 2020. When the law is breached, the government should take action and also make a study of the reasons for such a rise. Mere punishing the offenders do not suffice. The reasons and the root cause for such acts should be studied in-depth and necessary steps like educating the people in areas where such child marriages are taking place give good results, Punishment acts as a deterrent but it is not the real solution. Think about the possible causes for the increase in child marriages and also think about the effect of the new proposal in such areas.
    It is unfortunate that 90 to 95% of the estimated female child deaths at birth are reported from India and China.I think the figure 1.5 million is wrong. It is much more than that. These figures indicate that many people in these two countries still think girl children are not desirable. They do not understand that the male to female ratio will cause difficulty and men will be more than females. People of such areas need to the educated and if necessary punished.
    These points mentioned make it more difficult to implement the proposal when it is made into law. The government should think of all possible reactions and take proper measures.

Poor families do not consider a girl as a burden. They all work along with the boys and earn for the family. It is very well said by you that poor people who cannot afford to have the burden of a child then they should not have them. They should have that sense but things happen the other way. They think more the numbers, more will be the helping hands. Any number of schemes by the government may not help. In India the gap between the poor and rich is huge. More than 50% of the wealth is in the hands of less than 10% of people. This gap should decrease for the poor to come up and live a respectable life.
    I am unable to understand your last response. What I said is that the present generation are more knowledgeable in matters of physical relations and there may be many unwanted experiences to cope up with.
    There is no patronising attitude towards girls getting equal opportunities. The girls are mostly getting the same opportunities as boys and parents are also treating them equally.

" Be Good and Do Good "

Neelam, I am neither getting into the details of the proposal nor its merits or demerits and neither am I going to examine the different arguments that have been put forward for and against the proposal. I have just one query which I would like you to answer. This is with reference to point number one that you have placed in your response at #748083. You say that 40% of 60 million child marriages in the world takes place in India as per the survey conducted by the National Family Health Survey. I presume that such marriages are taking place when we have the law which lays down the marriageable age of a girl as 18. So, when child marriages are taking place despite a law on the point, do you expect that things will change by just increasing the marriageable age of a girl?

Enacting laws is not sufficient. It should be implemented properly with the same dedication. I don't think such marriages are conducted due to lack of social awareness. There are many other factors involved and the law makers should make an in depth study of the whole issue properly instead of just making a mockery of the legislative system.

Saji Ganesh Despite having 18 years age minimum bar, child marriage does take place among the people who are completely unaware of the law and spreading awareness to them is still a far fetched dream. But those who know the law and wait exactly till the time girl gets 18 and as soon as that happens marries her whether she is willing or not. This law will help to stop such families from forcing marriages on girls. Enacting laws is not a panacea, I agree with that but it does create fear among some sections of society. And when someone goes behind the bars for breaking the law it sets an example for others well, if people are not going to learn through awareness then they will learn through fear of prison and punishment.
    The thing that happened with the killing of girls before they are born, it did not come to halt with the laws banning sex determination tests but it decreased substantially. Since there were a lot of girls killed before being born in the decades of 1990s to 2000 but after 2000 it got reduced.
    I am not saying that these laws will bring some radical changes but they will for sure create fear of punishment in large section of masses.

Neelam, hope my query is clear to you. I asked that when the existing law that prevents marriages of girls before they attain 18 years of age could not stop child marriages, how do you expect a law that just increases the age limit would be able to prevent it?

Saji Ganesh, you have not read my answer well or have already made your mind against the bill or something like that. I already said that this bill will not for sure bring radical changes like completely ending child marriage nor made such a claim. But what it will do for sure is it will give more opportunities to women in terms of education at par with men.
    It will bring uniformity in disproportionate marriage gaps, and flawed reasoning of girls somehow should be more mature than men.
    It will if give empowerment in the sense if they somehow attain education till class 12th they will find better opportunities for themselves without someone forcing them to marry, and one such girl in the neighbourhood can inspire a lot many girls.
    The best example is the state of Haryana where after some reforms and also impact of "Beti Bachao Beti Padao" many women have outgrown the closed spaces they were in earlier. In terms of sports after the sucess of a few women more and more women coming forward.
    Even if the change is not in absolute terms but it is still a chance the impact on child marriage may not be visible directly at the first glance but it does happen at the social level, if people around you change so does you. If few law fearing people could engage their girls in higher education it will definately impact other girls as well.

Neelam, why aren't you answering my question directly? It is not that I have made up my mind against the bill, but I am actually not convinced with your arguments. You impugned the practical aspect that was put forward by KVRR. How do think you will be able to justify your stand? Isn't he right when he says that people in the lower strata of the society, who might not be having sufficient means to educate their children beyond a particular limit, would surely want to get their daughters married in the hope that she gets a better life.

You are harping on the point of education and forced marriages. Do you mean to say that all the girls would be able to complete higher education if they get time till 21 years of age? Do you actually feel that parents would stop pestering their children to get married if the marriageable age is increased? Hope we are not in an Utopian world.

And when you refer to the 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padao' program, you need to accept that the marriageable age is still 18. If such programs can be planned and awareness can be created, why go for an increase in the marriageable age? What difference will it make? I think we cannot generalize the effect of such improvisations. It depends on different factors and the effect will be different at different levels, different places, different cultures and even from people to people.

And, let me tell you that the gender equality card played by the government is farce. The aim is just to garner support of the women.

If you are hell-bent on going against something you will only see flaws in it. The answer you are seeking is in the Mr KVrr's own argument as he said people from poor strata feel they will have one more hand to work and earn that's why keep having children. Aren't these girls from the lower section of the society already working from the very beginning of their teen days, and what really does change in their lives even after marriage?
    Mostly the thing that hapens is domestic violence on the daily basis, restrictions on her way of living but she continues to work as before marriage just that now with extra responsibilities of children and husband at such young age. She goes through the same fate of repeated cycle that her parent has gone through and nothing changes
    In such a section of people, the whole family goes to work to earn the wages.
    If a boy goes to earn so does a girl only thing that is a hindrance here is the mentality that girls will be some show a burden.
    The argument used using the lower section of society to justify your own mentality to reinforce norms perpetrated through ages is what you are doing here.

Even if the gender equality card played by the government is a farce, it is still a step taken in the right direction and that is what needs to be appreciated.

And before any next argument do tell me how does it relieves parents financial burden by marrying a daughter in lower strata.
    Since dowry is still a reality, women still have to go and earn whether they are married or unmarried, many cases have been raised on ISC itself about domestic help women being treated badly- by their drunkard husband (this early married woman) do they have financial security? Are parents of such girls completely relieved and financially strong after marrying their daughters?
    Above all I don't really need to cite such examples because there are plenty you will find as your domestic help, fisherwoman, small vegetable sellers.
    They are still financially independent, so what does marriage change in their lives.
    I will tell you what it changes. It reduces the fear of parents and society that is inside the minds about single unmarried girls, because how can a girls life be complete without marriage? what if a girl marries by herself? what if the marriage is intercaste? It is the fear of her taking independent decisions and agency but no one will accept this, because these things are so subtle and disguised. Even the person arguing such things and thinking it is good reasoning and logical interpretation do not realise- how these notions were constantly fed in their mind while growing up.

This is the notion that is more feared than the burden itself in lower as well as middle strata of the society. And only people who don't fear such things are upper echelons of the society, often mocked by middle classes for their independence of the way of life and termed as westernised.
    Now you may think these are feministic notions but they are realities you have always neglected or chosen to ignore being the privileged gender

Neelam, before I answer your questions, please be courteous enough to answer me as to what difference will it make to the present situation if the marriageable age is raised to 21? Be direct and straight without beating around the bush.

Ms. Neelam, as per the statistics provided by you, child marriages increased in our country. Child means a boy under 21 years of age and a girl under the age of 18 years. 785 cases were booked in the year 2020. It is a negligible figure. The actual figures may be more. The act is ineffective. The same will be the case when new proposals are made into a new act of law. The only thing it may achieve is criminalising most marriages.

Consider a case where a girl of 18 years and a boy of 20 years , both of whom are employed, fall in love and decide to get married. They are both majors and are supposed to be capable of making their own decisions in matters of their life. The parents on either side have no objection to their marriage. If the new proposal is made into law, their marriage becomes illegal. Why that young couple is denied the right to make their own decision in an important matter like marriage? The government should not interfere in family matters of this type.

Consider another case. The parents are poor. The girl is also not interested in higher studies and wants to get married and settle in life. A suitable match is available. The girl is 19 years and the boy is 21 years of age. The boy is employed and capable of supporting his family. Now, what do the parents have to do? Do they have to wait until the girl attains 21 years of age? The boy may not wait until the girl turns 21 years. The girl has to sit idle until she completes 21 years of age. The parents have to then try and find a match. Is it advisable? There will be many practical problems.

" Be Good and Do Good "

To your life maybe it will not make a difference Mr Saji Ganesh but it will make difference in the lives of thousands of girls forced to get married as soon as they turn 18 and not given any further opportunity and expected to live in a marriage of subservience and to do better in their lives.
    And Mr Kvrr I am amazed by your reasoning to consider a man below 21 years a child and a girl of 18 years fir for marriage.
    The way people see girls and women as an object or commodities where they don't have a will or choice is just amazing. Here a girl is being been spoken as if she is an object of burden that parents to put away by marrying her.
    Sir do read between the line what you are trying to say. Just give the girls education that is fit for them to gain stable and financially secured lives instead of just finding a perfect groom and being done away with the responsibility of a parent.

The girls are not being looked at as objects. It has become a practice to say so. The parents have the responsibility to see that the girl is settled well in her life. Our traditions expect the parents to see that the girl is married to a suitable man so that her life is settled. These days in most families, the girls have their choice regarding education or the choice of marriage. The girls are educated well and go for jobs to places other than their homes. Parents are sending them to make their own living. What I am saying is that the government should not interfere. Every family will have their unique conditions and they will be making the decisions according to their possibilities. They live their lives but not the others and they cannot make judgments. A person of 18 years is considered a major after completing 18 years of age. Such a person can take independent decisions in all matters of their life. Why not their marriage? There is no hard and fast rule that a girl of 18 years should be married off. It is the assumption some make for argument's sake. The family will take a decision considering the welfare of the girl.
    Many women are pursuing higher education and are doing jobs in many fields in which there were none previously. They are in almost all fields equally with men. How did all this happen? It is because the girls are also given equal opportunities by their parents. There is no point in raising the marriageable age of girls to 21. It is not going to make any difference except creating problems for many families.

" Be Good and Do Good "

• Sign In to post your comments