You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is reading aloud more beneficial?

In childhood, when we used to sit to study, then parents often used to say this, read by speaking, by doing this it will be easy to remember, many times the reason was that some children used to pretend to read-only with a book in hand. But when one has to read by speaking, the attention automatically shifts to studies. This probably happens in most children's childhood days, but then as they grow older, the intellect starts to mature.

But should this apply to elders as well? Yes, maybe in some cases we should do readings with speaking.

This should be done especially when you are trying to master a particular language. Learning will become easy but speaking will be easy only when we read it aloud, whether it is a novel, book, or newspaper. Reading with spoking clears our tongue, that is, our pronunciation power increases. So when you are reading something to learn something, then definitely read aloud.
    The benefit differs according to person. Some persons read loudly and some read within their mouth without any sound and some of them read in mild voice. My cousin brothers used to read their lessons only loudly and told that in that way only they got the lessons kept in mind. My mother ask us to go and read some other room and let them read in a separate room without supporting us. Such people if compelled to read silently they will just sleep on the books itself.

After reading this post my thoughts went to the Ved Bhavan in Secunderabad, where in little children from 7 to 15 years are given training and course on Veda and they are taught with spiritual living also. When we reached early morning at 6 am. over 150 students all of them in the small age group donning a dhothi and no upper cloth smeared with vibuthi on the forehead are practicing saying veda in loud voice. Hearing veda itself a big boon for us and that sounds great through the tiny voice of small children with most precision and understandable words, we are really blessed to be present there. And by doing so this kind of recitation, the students could able to have greater interaction on speaking ability of different languages through their friends lodged there. Hope the author got the answer what she is asking for.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think both have some good and some bad aspects. You have to see which one you like best. When pronounced, you hear your own words. As a result, the content of your reading takes place in your long-term memory.
    But there are two sides to it. When read aloud, your reading speed decreases a lot. Another disadvantage is that many people cannot visualize it well after reading it. It may disturb another also.
    The way you pay attention is what benefits you. Whether it is in words, in mind, or in writing. You can also read by walking. The main point here is attention. In the Indian subcontinent, children are often taught to read by moving, so that adults can understand if the child is not paying attention to reading or sleeping.

Believe in the existence of God the superpower.
    Regards
    Dhruba

I think when we read loudly we read, we hear and our mind will register what we hear as well as what we read. That will give us a double effect. So chances of remembering the same will be more and we can complete the learning fast. That is the reason I think people ask the children to read loudly.
    Veda Mantras are chanted by the pandits very loudly. When their Guru teaches them also, Guru asks them to chant loudly and hear how they are pronouncing the words. Here they do that as the pronunciation is very important and any difference in pronunciation may create some different meaning. At the same time, by reading loudly, the students can remember those mantras very fast.
    Some people keep the book in their hands but they may be thinking about something else and pass the time. The elders will feel this is a bad trait and hence they ask the children to read loudly.

drrao
    always confident

When we read and speak, our two senses work simultaneously and it will imprint in the mind very easily. You normally recall the stuff when you hear the music or songs because the mind has its own power to catch up with music or words. It is processed differently. Thus, if you are reading and speaking at the same time, it will benefit you but it will not sound good to those who are nearby you. It will create disturbance to others.
    Dr. Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

I guess reading louder does not make much difference when it comes to retaining, but it does help with pronunciation and speaking skills when it comes to children that is why young kids are encouraged to read aloud.
    Many elders as well because of this habit feel comfortable while reading aloud, but it does not have much impact when it comes to learning.
    Even the book on how to make reading faster by Norman Lewis illustrates this issue that learning and fast reading does not depend on how the reader prefers loud or silently.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

As far as I think, reading louder would not enhance the memorising capacity though we have the benefits of hearing the same simultaneously. Words uttered by the mouth directly reaches to the ear providing us the clarity of the texts. Such pattern of studies might be beneficial for some sections of students.
    Most of the students are comfortable with the silent mode of reading and they don't face any issue to get the same memorised. Whatever mode is utilised, we need to have the full concentration of the texts to get the texts by the hearts. We cannot establish the same rule for all students.

Reading aloud is many times beneficial as it provides us a betterment in our speaking abilities and the chances of occasional stammering would also decrease. I remember in my childhood we were told to read aloud probably to help us avoid the pangs of sleep and it did help to that extent. In schools also teachers encouraged the students to read aloud. The book lovers who read books fast would like to go through it silently to achieve the higher speed of reading. So depending upon the need one has to have the option. Nowadays very few people read aloud. It also disturbs the people who are sitting nearby.
    Knowledge is power.

I feel that reading loudly enhances the learning capacity and enable to grasp the content quickly. When we are reading something silently we do not understand when our mind got distracted from the content. But, when we are reading loudly as soon as our focus gets shifted we stop speaking the thing we are trying to memorise and then we can easily regain back our focus on the topic. But, sometimes it takes too much energy if we have to study for long hours so in that case, one should continuously drink water to keep the throat hydrated. It depends on person-specific how he can learn. The technique of reading loudly can be also beneficial for the students who feel sleepy while learning and are not good at theoretical subjects.

Reading any books or material helps us to not only enhance our knowledge in various fields but also helps us to remember and learn things in a good manner.
    In earlier days,we used to read and bi-heart our lessons in schools by reading aloud. However, now the students follow a different method.
    We can not read aloud in a room where there are other people too. It is better to use both the methods according to the situation ie., while alone read aloud but when you are with others read in your mind.

• Sign In to post your comments