You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

The correct way of using the Modal auxiliary verb 'USED TO'

Many people who are even experts in English do not use the modal auxiliary very "Used to' in a correct way.
    Used to ... is used when we refer to a discontinued action which were doing regularly in the past but have stopped doing it now. For example: I used to play cricket two years ago. I used to read clearly with out glasses before but now I wear glasses.
    If we want to refer to actions which we do regularly nowadays we use the simple present tense as follows:
    The doctor is available at his clinic from 9.00 to 11.00 Am every Friday. But he used to visit his clinic only between 9.00 to 10.00 Am last month.
    I hope I am able to explain clearly. If you want any help in English grammar you can post your queries here. It will be my pleasure to answer them.
    I used to drink plenty of water regularly. But these days I stopped drinking that much water. I think this is the correct usage.
    He used to drive a car earlier but after the accident, he discontinued the same.
    I used to be at the office from 9 AM to 5 PM. But these days I am returning back by lunchtime.
    I think the above sentences are not having any grammatical mistakes.

drrao
    always confident

I seek a few clarifications.

For better understanding, please provide examples of how 'even experts in English' use 'used to' incorrectly.

What is 'modal auxiliary very'—I think you meant verb. Typo! Even so, do expand on what modal auxiliary verbs are. How many types there are, and how 'used to' fits into that definition.

What is the difference between modal auxiliary verbs and marginal modal verbs?

Please explain the difference between 'were' and we're' (short for we were).

Is it 'with out' or 'without'? Typo again!

What do you think of the following sentences? My mother is used to waking up early. The doctor is used to coming to his clinic in the morning. I am used to the noise.

Nice tutorial from the author and we came to more more precisely as to how to use the words Used To in the right context. Normally we are using the same so far I want to give some examples in this regard.
    He used to visit our house during festivities but now not to be seen.
    We used to get drinking water daily and now made to alternate days supply.
    We used to wear new clothes only during festivities.
    We used to mingle with each other on all events and functions.
    The train used to come on platform one but now it has taken birth on platform number 10.
    My sister boy never used to have curd rice, but now he is not declining.

K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Juana,
    Thank you for pointing out the typographical errors in my above post.
    At first, I would like to inform you that I have been typing on my mobile phone and I have been finding it a little difficult to type which has resulted in such mistakes. I am extremely sorry for the same.
    The second point :I have come across some people who speak and write excellent English committing the mistake of using the Modal auxiliary'used to' and have humbly corrected
    their mistake.
    The third point: As regards explaining the Modal auxiliaries in detail, my idea was to explain only'used to' in brief as it would be easy to learn.
    The fourth point: Difference between ' used to' and ' I am used to'.
    I used to live in Chennai from 2019 to 2021. Now, I live in Mumbai.
    I am used to: I have been living in Bangalore since my birth. I am used to the culture of the city.
    My mother is used to walking up early: It describes a habit which has been there for a long time.
    I once again thank you for seeking clarification from me. If you come across any mistakes,please correct me once again. I am ready to rectify my mistakes.

Technology is great, in that it lets you fix errors. Typing on the phone can be a problem for some, but then there are always ways to correct those oversights. It is important that there are no errors, particularly when the content is a language tutorial.

Your response #749547 did not address any of my questions.

Point 1: Please elucidate the point—'committing the mistake of using the Modal auxiliary'used to'. Without knowing the 'mistakes', that people who have an excellent command of the language make, how does one learn to prevent those errors from inadvertently creeping into one's expressions?

Point 2: You dodged answering direct questions. I didn't question why you didn't provide definitions. I posed pointed questions, after all, you made an open offer of your services.

Point 3: I'll get straight to the point. The phrase 'used to' is NOT an Auxiliary Modal Verb. There are nine auxiliary modal verbs; namely, can, could, may, might, must, shall, should, will and would, and 'used to' is clearly not on the list.

'Used to' is a Marginal Modal Verb.

You may respond if you wish, but I won't be back (responding).

Niharika, the idea is not to discourage you but as Juana has rightly said, you need to be particular and clear when your attempt is to impart a language tutorial.
    'Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.' -Zig Ziglar

• Sign In to post your comments