You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Which is your one absolute favourite chutney?

We have had quite a few discussions on parathas, dosas, idlis, and the like but I think none specifically on an important accompaniment to such dishes, namely, the chutneys! The idea for this topic came today morning when I made a chutney with garlic, coconut, and red chillies. One standard chutney is the one with coriander and coconut or one with mint and coconut or one with tomato and/or onion.

Those keen on trying something new- I cam across these two articles of chutney recipes using the search box: 5 homemade chutneys and an interesting recipe without coconut. I am planning to try some of these out.

Have you made any unique chutney at home or eaten an unusual one somewhere? Do you have that one absolutely favourite above all other types of chutneys?
    During my childhood in my village I had tasted a variety of chutneys. Most of them contained some items out of green chillies, onion, garlic, mint, green coriander, pomegranate seeds, lemon, peanuts, coconut, mango powder, tamarind etc.
    Though I relished them all but now my choice is limited to chutney prepared with green mint leaves. Green mint is sometimes not available easily and what we do is dry it in some good quantity and keep in a tight container in the fridge and when it is not available in the market we use those dried leaves. If you dry them properly and thoroughly then they look like crisp greenish black in colour and become powder on pressing.

Knowledge is power.

That is true. A dosa or an idly will never be tasty without a good tasting accompaniment. A chutney or sambar or powder with ghee should be there with these dosas or idlis. There are varieties of chutneys. Some are to be made fresh and some can be made and stored for a long time. We all know about pickles made of mangoes which are also comes under the category of chutneys which can be stored for a long time.
    My wife makes different types of chutneys. Onion and chillies, coconut, channa dol and chillies, channa floor with onion and potatoes. The chutney made of Channa floor with onions and potatoes is very famous in Andhra Pradesh and in particular in Godavari districts. This is a good side dish for idlis. I like this combination. Whenever I go to my native place I try eating in hotels where this chutney is available. In our house, my wife also will make this. If anyone wants the detailed recipe I can ask my wife and post it here.

drrao
    always confident

For Idly and Dosa, the most common chutney we prepare is roasted Bengal gram (Putnala Pappu) and grated coconut mixed chutney. For this, take one cup of roasted Bengal gram and an equivalent amount of freshly grated coconut powder, two or three green chillies, and simply grind it. Remove the powdered content from the mixer into a bowl. Add the required amount of water to make it into a thick paste-like content. Add little salt according to your taste and season it as usual. It is most commonly used chutney either in hotels or at home. Tomato chutney is the other chutney used for both these items.

For Chapati or Poori or parathas, we commonly use a curry made out of potato, onion mixed with besan floor.
    In AP we have so many pre-prepared stored chutneys available like Aavakai, Gongura, Dosa Aavakai, Cauliflower chutney, onion chutney, etc. and it will be used along with the idly, dosa, paratha, pulka, chapati etc.

Umesh - I love pudina chutney too and mint is available for us on a regular basis in the local market. Since the leaves turn black quickly, I try to buy as few sprigs as possible, but invariably a few get wasted since vendors are insistent on selling them in a bunch.

Dr. Rao - do share the recipe here. I have never put potatoes in a chutney.

Ramakrishna Kambhampati - I would like to try the Dosa Aavakai chutney one day. Would it be possible for you to upload a photo in a response to this thread of the yellow cucumber that is the main ingredient of that recipe? In my local market, other than the usual light green cucumber, there are dark green ones (I grate these and put them in idli or dosa batter) so am not sure if those are the ones you are talking about. If I see a photo, I would understand better.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

The cucumber what I mentioned will be like this but sometimes the whole cucumber may be yellow or light green without green stripes according to varieties. The selected cucumber must be hard. Keera type cucumbers are not useful for this chutney. The cucumbers must be round or oval in shape.

Delete Attachment

Onion,ginger,green chillies ,Coriander leaves,salt and tamarind are the main ingredients of this chutney. All the above should be grinded in a mixer as per the quantity you want to make. Then heat the pan ,add a spoon of oil ,add mustard ,hing,karia patha and mix it well with the chutney. This can be had with dosa,idly,upma and curd rice.

Though not my hot favourite, but there is one sweet and spicy chutney that is popular with most Bengalis, including, me. It is the tomato chutney. The main ingredient, as the name suggests is the ubiquitous tomato, especially the red and ripe ones. It is prepared by adding usual garam masalas, tezpatta, etc. and finally adding some sugar to bring a sweet taste to the chutney. Other things like raisins and dates are also added to give it a rich taste. Some even add a bit of tamarind to give it a certain sourness to it. The chutney is a must at every meal where guests are invited and also during weddings and festivals. It is also eaten along with Khichidi, another popular dish with Bengalis during Durga puja, Laxmi puja and other such festivals.
    Patience and perseverance pays

We call it Dal chutney or Paruppu Tuvial. That means Tur dal, urad dal, Channa dal are added to tamarind and salt and then made to paste adding little raw mirchi. This is made very rarely and not everyone knows about it. Since this chutney is solid and not liquid the shelf life is more than 24 hours and the children would be seeking more as the taste would be good and great. Just now I had it and hence shared here. Apart from this the coconut chutney is very famous for the Idli and dosa varieties, Palli chutney which is regularly served in the road side vendors selling the snacks and then there is tomato chutney which tastes very good. Then there are Pudina, and methi chutney. So there is every reason and every item to which we cherish the chutney and that need not be repeated again and again. But the dal chutney what I shared can be tried and reported here.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Today we had tasted two chutneys prepared at the home. One is the Methi chutney and other one is the Dosakai or round variety of cucumber yellow in color. While methi chutney is prepared by adding some tomatoes to add taste, and fry the same with garnish items and then refined in the mixie to have paste effect and then fry the same with refined oil for great flavor and taste. The cucumber or dosakai chutney is also very tasteful when it is made with right ingredients. The greatness of this chutney is that it can be either grinded to paste or prepared as pieces to be eaten like that. Even Dosakai pickle is the instant way of creating pickle if other items went no stock. One thing is sure, the house holds and having sway and knowledge in preparing many items as chutney and we have very little knowledge about them.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The following are the ingredients.
    3 cups water
    1/4 cup gram flour (besan)
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    2 pinches of asafoetida
    1 sprig of curry leaves
    2 green chillies
    1 or 2 potatoes made into small pieces.
    1 small onion
    A 1-inch piece of ginger
    Salt to taste
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
    In a vessel, oil is taken and kept on the stove and all the ingredients except water, salt and besan powder are added slowly after the oil starts boiling. We have to go on mixing the ingredients slowly after adding all of them wait for 10 minutes and then ass water. Once the water starts boiling the besan powder can also be added and allowed to cook on slow flame for 10 minutes. Then salt is added and mixed properly. If we want to take it with poori we can add potatoes or if we want to have it with idly we can avoid potatoes.

drrao
    always confident

Thank you Ramakrishna Kambhampati - now I got it. Thanks for uploading the photo. This is what is called 'Kodel'/Mangalore cucumber and is also known as Madras cucumber I think. We have used it to make a simple vegetable with curry leaves and cumin seeds. Yesterday I came across a yummy curry recipe with it, so am planning to make it tomorrow as I got it from the local market, and will keep a few pieces to make the chutney. I will give updates on the dishes once made.

Dr. Rao- Thank you for the recipe and please tell your wife thanks, too. It is very interesting. We do not eat besan and always use moong dal flour as an alternative. Will try it with that.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

• Sign In to post your comments