You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Announcements

Cleaning up outdated content

Dear all,

As we have announced a few times in the past, we are moving towards becoming an education website. The target is to reach this goal in a few years.

As part of moving towards this goal, we are slowly deleting outdated, non-relevant articles from ISC. As of now, we are reevaluating all old articles and deleting the article which meet ALL 3 CRITERIA below:

1. Not related to education.
    2. Less than 250 words (slightly higher word count also will be considered for deletion in future)
    3. Author has not logged into ISC for 2+ years

This will also mean that when such articles are deleted, the CC earned by authors also will get reduced when they recalculate. We are going by the assumption that if the author hasn't logged in the last 2+ years, probably he/she will never come back.

Just in case someone comes back to ISC after a few years of gap and he sees that a lot of his past articles are deleted, it may be better for him/her to start all over again with a fresh user account. Even if the cc becomes negative, members don't have to pay back anything to ISC. However, we won't be able to refill his lost cc because of the deleted articles.

Hope everyone will understand the reason behind this and will continue to support us.
    We do agree with the webmaster that there is no meaning in retaining the old articles and the contents which are not connected to the website and therefore the cleansing process would be the best antidote.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think this is a necessary step to be taken by any site to get rid of old and unwanted data eating up the valuable server space.
    Once it is deleted then it will not be shown in the search engine results and for all practical purposes it will be out of the internet. So the good part is that the author can again rewrite and modify that idea into a new resource and publish it in a relevant site in the internet.
    In my view in such cases the cumulative cc shown against the member will simply decrease and eventually become zero. I don't think that it will ever become negative.
    So as per my understanding the user can use the same account also if he wishes to make new contributions appropriate to this site.
    Anyway, this is a highly technical matter and website administrators might be knowing better about it.

Knowledge is power.

To make the site updated, the content which is not relevant for the existent time must be deleted. We fully agree with the view of Tony Sir in delete the in appropriate content from the site. Hope our site take a new look after this process.

It is natural to remove old and outdated information from this site once in a while. We do this in our physical collection also. Nobody should have any issues in this respect. You have already mentioned that you are not asking anybody to pay back the money for those articles. Already in one of your earlier announcements you clearly mentioned that if any member is not logging in for a period of 1 year, his/her account will become non-operative and the member has to lose all the points and cc that is to be paid to him. So ISC is very clear and makes everything transparent.
    drrao
    always confident

Deletion of articles of those members who have not logged for the last couple of years or more sounds not correct. We had good contributors and some of their works are really good and useful. Such articles should be allowed to be continued as with on stroke of 'delete' button all their articles may vanish. Other conditions can be applied while tuning or deleting the non-related articles as proposed in this thread.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

It is another good decision taken by Tony Sir. This is because old articles are like glitches and useless. I have seen a large number of articles in ISC which are related to admission, totally expired
    Phagu Mahato
    Success occurs when opportunity and preparation meet.

We agree with your decision. Can a member whose articles get deleted, re-use the content of the deleted article elsewhere or in his or her blog?
    Dr. Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

Dr. Paresh Gujarati, if an article is deleted from ISC, it can be used anywhere else by the author.

Jagdish Patro, below statement of yours is not correct:
    We had good contributors and some of their works are really good and useful. Such articles should be allowed to be continued as with on stroke of 'delete' button all their articles may vanish.

We are not simply deleting good articles with a click of a button when the author stops coming to ISC. See the criteria to be met to delete an article:
    1. Not related to education.
    2. Less than 250 words (slightly higher word count also will be considered for deletion in future)
    3. Author has not logged into ISC for 2+ years

I think the above criteria justify the action. We deleting the articles which are not worth keeping.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

After Deleting unuseful articles from the ISC Database, We will face some little interlinking problems.

Because the article link is interlinked with other articles. If any unuseful articles delete then other good articles may error occupies on the link due to their URL shared. So Admin needs to focus on backlinks and interlinking links during deleting articles.

Phagu Mahato
    Success occurs when opportunity and preparation meet.

Phagu, this is a valid issue. However, considering the fact that the articles being deleted are not very link-worthy articles, the chances of having broken links is low. Anyway, even if get such broken links, we will have a system to scan for such broken links and update them all.
    regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.