You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is it correct to blow off candle light during birthday celebration?

In Hindu tradition we light oil lamp in front of God or in any ritual functions. But many of us during birthday time, before cutting cake we blow of candle or candles light. After blowing off candle light, the gathered persons of the party clap and enjoy the occasion. Is it correct to do so? What is the reason for blowing off lights during celebration? Interestingly some wise elders comment why we should celebrate birthday while once age increasing by one year and that means that person one year more close to death. Please share your comments.
    I am also at a loss to understand the concept and the reason being to blow off the candle light when it is considered auspicious for every occasion as light brings in new ray of hope and trust within us and by blowing off probably we are signalling the over confidence with us. In fact I am against the cake cutting culture which is imported and for me nothing better than visiting a temple seeking blessings of the God or go to any senior citizens ashramam, part with fruits and food and that would be befitting celebration because those who eat something would certainly wish from the heart. Alternatively visit some Goshala and feed the cows which are eagerly waiting for the food. By blowing off the candle light we are making ourselves ready to the death advancing by a year and that is not required when celebration solicited.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Different cultures and societies had different customs and practices for celebrating the birthdays or any such occasion in the past. I remember in my childhood we had some puja in the temple or house and we lit the diya and prepared some prasadam and celebrated the birthday. There was no cake and no candles at that time. With time the western culture has engulfed the whole world and a large section of the society had started the practice of cutting cake and blowing of the candles. Today young people know only that western custom and are not aware how we were celebrating it in the past. It is the fault of all of us that we changed and adopted to the western customs ourselves and now are feeling the pinch of it. Once we leave our ways and customs and adopt the other one or the so called modern ones then there is no going back. By the next generation if someone tells the youngsters to stop cutting cake and blowing off the candles they will simply mock him.
    Knowledge is power.

Some family members who are traditional object if any candles are blown out after cutting of the cake as they consider it an inauspicious act. However, as per the latest trend, blowing off the candles is also a part of the celebration. The modern youth finds it welcoming and feels that one should not have that much superstition and spoil the mood of the occasion. I feel it is better not to protest and create unwanted tension on a special day which should be cherished but not ruined.

The author has rightly said that the birth day is the auspicious day when family members and well wishers assemble together to greet one celebrating one's birthday. The cake culture differs with that of ours where we have witnessed that our parents never failed to go to nearby temple in case of our birth day celebrations. The made it a point to distribute sweets to Panditjee and others present in the temple and would get the blessings of all present in the premises. Later, we used to invite our friends for enjoying Prasadam followed with meals made in our homes. Though it reflected simplicity in the celebrations but that was the way of our celebrations. Now such a culture has changed and the same has been replaced by the cake culture where candles are blown off. This concept reminds us of our advancement of ages and the deep thinking would make our mood gloom instead of cheers in our face. That is how both the cultures differ.

The rule of blowing out candles on birthdays has been going on since the beginning. How the culture of cutting cakes and extinguishing candles came to birthdays is a matter of detailed and historical discussion. Although there is no question about cutting the cake, many people have strong objections about putting out the candles. Notice a little subtlety. Do you want to enlighten the world with your child or immerse yourself in darkness? If you want to illuminate, make arrangements to light a candle instead of extinguishing it in the birthday culture. Then the psychological foundation of that little child will be formed in the midst of innumerable bad aspects and the mentality of enlightening the world will be formed in him under the influence of the culture of burning candles. The suffix of enlightenment in this way will develop in him, or may arise. Even a 90-year-old man can reminisce about life once. How much has he been able to enlighten the world? What should he have done? What can he still do? But I think the last years are over, so many candles are lit to say goodbye to them.
    Believe in the existence of God the superpower.
    Regards
    Dhruba

The number of candles that will be blown off will depend on the number of years completed. If a baby blows off 2 candles means she completed 2 years and enters her 3rd year. These days we are getting candles in the shapes of various numbers and people can use candles which is in the shape of the number equivalent to his/her age.
    We will be cutting cakes on our birthday. But we have no habit of blowing off the candles. We treat this as unauspicious. Even cutting a cake is also performed only for kids and we will not do that when the child crosses his/her 12th year.
    Various religions will have different practices and different ways of celebrating various occasions. Cutting cake or blowing off candles is not the tradition of Hindus. But we have imported from other countries and we always feel happy if we become more and more westernised.

drrao
    always confident

Sentimentally it is not correct in our Hindu sentiment. We never put off the lamps in our house by mouth but we put off with a flower or milk drop. Further cutting cakes with a knife is also not likeable. Though the knife is made of plastic it is knife.
    Instead we can celebrate the birthdays by lighting a lamp in nearby temple, offering sweets by buying or preparing in house to the relatives and friends.

Thanks to the author for raising this thread.

I have gone through the different submissions. One thing that delighted me is that even though at a slow pace, we are beginning to question the influential part of the foreign culture. But this is not limited to only in context to extinguishing candles for any kind of celebrations but extending to the use of firecrackers too. The Indian cultures were never addicted to any such activities which had negative implications on our surroundings. It is good to share here that for long I have stopped for such things which were never the part of Indian cultures but strictly following what our ancestors used to follow once. Now for birthday celebrations I am going to a nearby temple and doing Havan or the Homa if possible.

• Sign In to post your comments