You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What are the biases that may unknowingly spill on us from interviewer's side?

In any kind of job whether private or public, an interview plays an important role in getting selected for a job. Usually, an interviewer try to analyze the candidate from different angles. Based on that only a candidate may be selected by an interviewer or a team of interviewers. After interviewing, the interviewers will get a clear worth of the candidate for the post. We can't think that the interview may have gone well in an unbiased way. Some biased situations may also arise in some interviews. Usually what type of biased situations a candidate may have to face during an interview? How to tactically avoid such situations?
    The interviewer is also a human being. He/She will have some core perceptions and convictions n many matters. Some such may be very deep and uncompromising for them.
    If in any way they get a clue that the candidate has his views and perceptions or convictions breaking the interviewer's perception and conviction on the same matter, then there will be an involuntary reaction to reject or disfavor the candidate or to probe further deep to be sure of it.

I guess such a thing occurred in one of my early-day interviews. That was for a management-level post. I was asked to mention one unique point about Kerala, my native state. Very promptly I answered that it was in Kerala that a Communist government came to power through the ballot. It was a fact. But then I had an intuition that they did not relish it. Probably they would have considered me as a trade union-minded fellow and a threat.(This is my guess only). Then they asked me why more people from Kerala are going to the Gulf states for jobs? That was some indication from them. That made me guess that they disliked my first answer.

What I feel that some interviews are stage managed to show the candidates that they have done the work and in actual, the candidates have already been decided either through source or through the present employees giving the leads. When the vacancies are less and for the powerful posts, surely the internal likes of employees already working there would bring in their recommended persons, and the organizations would certainly consider them as the luck because there cannot be much tension to interview. Moreover some interview officials are very biased and they ask irrelevant questions not concerned to the job and that specifies that the very interview was a drama and not for any selection of candidates. So next time when somebody wants to attend interview, please go through connections already in the office and the job would be sure.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Interview is the final part of the selection of the aspirants. Depending upon the requirement of the post, the interviewer would ask the relevant questions to see how best the aspirant is responding. Sometimes, the questions are tricky to analyse the intelligence of the interviewee. After all, they have to recruit the people having basic conception in the area to be absorbed apart from his ability to face the odd situation. The interviewer would also see how best the aspirant can perform in critical situations. Very often it has been seen that the interview- process take at least 45 minutes to one hour if the board of interview has to select a right candidate for the interview. If the interview session does not last for long and terminates within the couple of minutes, the aspirant should take it safely that he is not lucky one to be selected for the post.

When we attend an interview then the interview board will go through our qualifications and accordingly they would start asking us questions. If we give the answers to the point and without any indication that we lack knowledge in that matter then everything goes on fine. The problem comes when we give a round about answer in a cryptic way to hide that we do not know about that thing then the interview board will dig further and nail us down. At that time we might feel that there are some biases in their mind and they want to reject us. But the thing is not so simple because the purpose of the interview board is to find out the worth of the candidate and if we cooperate in that respect then only our score would be better and we would be eventually benefited by that interaction. Some biases will always be there in the minds of the interview board because of many political and administrative reasons but that is not our concern and that is out of our hands in any case. So why to bother for all those biases and it would be wise if we concentrate on performing better in the interview.
    Knowledge is power.

If the job is in a private company, the interview will be conducted very sincerely and their only intention is to get the correct person for them so that the work from the person will be good. There will not be any either bias in that case. Probably some private companies may have some political affiliations and they may not like to take people from other parties. But it is also very rare. If any recommendations are there, such will be considered for junior posts only.
    In government organisations, there will be many issues. They may not worry much about the capability of the candidate. They may have many other considerations like the known candidate or a candidate who may bribe the board members to see that he will be selected. Such people will have a bias towards such candidates and try to eliminate all other people showing something or other as a negative trait. They try to disqualify other candidates by troubling them in the interview.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments