You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Reward Programs

Snap Writing Contest

Sun - Yeh contest aapke naam (this contest, for you)

Based on Sun's concept, we are organizing a contest in which you have to write on a given topic within a fixed duration of time. The challenge is how quickly you can submit a good write-up spontaneously.

What you have to do: Whenever I am online, I will give a topic to members who wish to participate. If I am going to go offline, I will post a response to indicate so, and then, again, mention when I am back online. You have to put in a response, stating that you are available to write and for how many minutes you are likely to be online. For example, you can say 'I am online for the next 1 hour'. Try to be online for at least 30 minutes. That way, if I am doing editing or other work, I can check this thread a little later, and also you can see the topic I give you and are able to submit the write-up in the given time as mentioned in the rules below.

I may give topics to more than one participant at a time. That is, I may list the topics for each member who responded within a single response, so then, within the given time, all three have to submit their write-ups on the respective topics assigned to them.

To be fair, since you or I may have to suddenly go offline or lose connectivity, you will be given more than one chance. That is, this contest will be organized over a span of two days, today, and tomorrow. In case you were unable to submit a writeup on the topic given the first time, you will get the opportunity to participate again, but not on the same topic that was given to you earlier. You will then again have to indicate that you are online and a fresh topic will be given to you. Do make it a point to correct all errors in spelling and grammar.

Rules-
    1. The write-up should be on the given topics, which will all be related to education. However, you may interpret it in a non-educational setting and write it as you wish. As a challenge, the same topic may also be given to more than one member, in which case the second member will need to submit another variation of it.
    2. Avoid lengthy write-ups, submitting it the way you would a forum response. You may use the edit button at any time to make corrections in English and typo, but do not change the main text.
    3. The write-up must be submitted within 20 minutes of the topic assigned to you, in a response to this thread itself.
    4. A member can participate twice. That is, you can submit two write-ups, either both on the same day, or one today and one tomorrow. Each time, you will be submitting on a different topic. However, even if both are good, the better write-up will get the prize.

Rewards-
    We will give the three best write-ups Rs.50/- and 50 points. Other participants may get enhanced points up to 20 with 20cc depending on the decision of the jury panel. Like any other reward program, editors are welcome to participate and only non-participating editors will be on the jury panel.
    We will begin this contest now. Please indicate if you wish to participate and are online now.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I am online now. Does anyone want to participate? - response submitted at 1.30p.m.

[replacing the earlier text when I went offline, since I cannot post after two consecutive responses]

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I am on line now and ready to take the topic if given. I am available till 3 pm this day.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I am online up to 3:30 PM. Please provide the topic.
    Knowledge is power.

Thank you K Mohan for being quick to begin this contest.

Your topic: Classrooms.

Submit your write-up within 20 minutes of the time stamp on this response of mine.

Umesh,

Your topic is - Teacher's Table/Desk.

Topic : Classrooms

What I feel that classrooms can be compared to the lives of people in the house. Like we have the intelligent, average and dull students in the classroom, the same way in a house of four members, all are not same as the father may be imaginative, the mother would be conservative, the daughter would be selective and the son would be different from others. Nevertheless the classroom is maintained and the peace lies in the hands of the teacher or the class leader, but the peace of the home lies in the hands of the home maker ie the mother and everyone need to cooperate and cordinate. One thing is sure, a classroom for a class, but the family is for whole life and we need to take our responsibility and be amcable to all.

[This entry wins a consolation prize]

K Mohan

Alas, could not submit it within 20 minutes. Anyway, would come back later to try my second chance.
    Knowledge is power.

If the participating member fail to respond, do we have chance to respond on the given topic to the member and if yes i am ready to respond to Umesh topic.
    K Mohan

K Mohan - you cannot write on the topic missed out by another member right away, as that gives an unfair advantage of a few seconds/minutes of knowing the topic. If you are eager to submit your second write-up today itself, let me know and I will give you another topic.

Umesh - if you wish to get another topic again since you are online till 3.30 p.m., let me know. Please be very clear, otherwise, wait till evening/tomorrow as I don't want to let out the topic beforehand. It may get wasted and not be given again.

Hello ma'am,
    I am online now and will remain online. Please assign me a topic for the write-up.

Dr. Deepali,

Your topic- Class Bully.

Now I am going offline. I will be back later in the evening, likely after 5.30 p.m. or slightly later than that. We'll continue with the contest at that time.

Hello ma'am,
    I am online now and will remain online. Please assign me a topic for the write-up.

Any MinMax Word Limit, please?

Is title/heading required?

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

Class Bullying or harassment in the classroom is a very big problem which sometimes make the classroom environment much stressful. Though it is the duty of the teacher to create the safe and healthy environment in the class but sometimes situations may be out of control. Sometimes students spread rumors and make gossips and even physical altercation also. It might be possible that they do not know the effects of this class bullying to the victim of harassment. They do it only for fun. An educator/teacher can prevent the class bullying and create the healthy and positive environment by developing respect and dignity in the classroom. A teacher can motivate to standup and raise their voice against harassment and class bullying and inform to the school administration. The student must be taught not to afraid or embarrass from the bullying because this can make them more fearful and they can feel alone. There must be an open communication among students which will increase their confidence. Community building is also helpful. Teacher should talk the student who bully others and try to understand the reason of this behavior. Following these points a teacher can make the classroom a safe and healthy place.

I am online now to assign topics for anyone who wishes to participate.

Partha - no title or heading is required. Read rule #2 for the word limit.

Vandana, I am online and I will be online for the next one hour. This is for your kind information.
    drrao
    always confident

Vandana ma'am,
    Can you please give me a second topic? I am ready to prepare a write-up.

Dr. Rao - your topic: Class Monitor.

Dr. Deepali - your topic: Encyclopedia(s).

Vandana ma'am,
    I am online for two hour. Can you give me the topic?

Encyclopedias are database that contains information on all the branches of knowledge. Using it we can get information on any branch of sciences, art, engineering or any other subjects. It may be in the form of a hard copy such as a book or any soft copy such as an e-book. Nowadays online software is also available which provide a great database and works like an encyclopedia. We can enhance our knowledge on any topic with the help of an encyclopedia. It is a different thing that some people also have great knowledge and people say them moving encyclopedia.

A teacher is one who gives instructions and teachings to the student. A class Monitor is an assistant to the teacher. A class monitor has to listen and talk very clearly and should help the students in implementing the instructions of the teacher.

A class Monitor will have some specific duties which he has to perform. He has to distribute the papers to all the people who are supposed to receive them. He is responsible for maintaining the hygienic conditions and cleanliness of the class. If the teacher instructs him, he should take the attendance also.

A class Monitor is supposed to get feedback from students about various events and assemblies and provide feedback to the concerned to improve further. A good class Monitor should make the students understand how to respect their teachers. He can be a good friend of the students of his group and at the same time, he should be unbiased in performing his duties properly.

If a class Monitor performs his duties well it will be very good for both the teaching staff as well as the students also.

drrao
    always confident

Dr Sanchita- your topic: Timetable(s).

Time tables play important role in everyone's life. It is not necessary for students only but all age groups. Everyone should follow the timetable for being healthy and wealthy. You can't get success in life until you manage your timetable. A timetable is a structured schedule that allows you to plan out your all work timely in life such as eating, sleeping, exercising etc. A student can't get success in life without a timetable. In school, the timetable is given to students so that they would enjoy study as well as games.

I am now online for approximately one hour.

I want to participate in this contest.

Waiting for the topic.

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

Partha - your topic: Music Teacher.

Topic: Music Teacher

Everyday we watched him. With Bengali-style dhoti-kurta ('Dhooti-Panjabi' in Bengali), he used to go to school everyday. In winter, he used to take a shawl. The very sober, middle-aged Bengali Brahmin never talked loudly. He could never put his point forcefully. He was the music teacher of the senior secondary school of the locality.

The students never gave him due importance. Other teachers also didn't give much attention. Very few students used to take music as optional subject. So, he was almost free. Only during any function, he was given some attention. The music teacher started each and every function with his opening song. Only at that time, other teachers, students and assembled guests had to admit that the music teacher had a sonorous voice.

The teacher lived in a one-roomed modest flat near the school. His wife was a diminutive middle-aged lady. She also didn't talk much. They had a son who used to study in the school where his father was a music-teacher. He also didn't get much attention because he was an average student. We only knew that he was learning music from his father. But, for some unknown reason, the music teacher never allowed his son to sing in any function of the school.

Suddenly, one day we came to know that the music teacher had been suffering from throat cancer. In no time, he lost his sonorous voice. Some teachers were sympathetic; most of them didn't bother about their colleague.

At that time, treatment for cancer was not good. The poor music-teacher could not bear the expenses. He could not survive.

I also left the locality after getting a Government job. I could not get any information about the family of the departed music teacher.

Suddenly, after almost fifteen years, I found a young man singing in a Puja function in Delhi. I instantly recognised him. He was the only son of the music-teacher of the local school.

Another ten years have since passed. This young man is now a leading singer of Bengali music industry. And in every function where he sings, he tells the organisers to specifically mention that he had learnt to sing from his late father, the diminutive music-teacher of a senior secondary school in South Calcutta.

Thanks to his son, the name of the neglected music teacher is now well-known.

I am going offline now. We will resume tomorrow. I will likely be online after 10.30 a.m.

Good Morning, Vandana , I will be on line from 10.30 to 11.30. I would like to take part in this contest.

Good morning everyone. I am online now and can start assigning topics.

Niharikha - since you said you would be online from 10.30 a.m., I will give you a topic a little later.

Vandana,I am on line now

Online for approximately one hour from now on.

Waiting for my second topic.

Niharikha- your topic: Entrance Exams.

Partha- your topic: Research.

Topic: Research

I took admission in my first PG course in late eighties. I was a student of Mathematics. During that period, even in the best universities of India, stress was not given on research. Students used to rot the subjects and pass the examination. In pure Mathematics (my field of study), there was ample and endless scope of research, but very few students developed an affinity for doing research after completion of PG.

Later, I obtained another three Master degrees in Social Sciences and Management. In nineties and early 2000s also, the situation didn't change much. Although in all three branches, there were vast scope of research, teachers didn't encourage and students didn't pursue research. Exceptions were very few.

Now, my daughter is fortunate enough to get admission in M.Sc. in one of the best universities of the country. And I am watching with pleasant surprise that the professors are giving utmost stress on internship, writing research papers, studying research methodology and doing meaningful research work, even independently.

I welcome this change!

[This entry wins the first prize.]

Entrance examinations assess the ability of the students who wish not only to join the courses but also work hard to complete is successfully.However,Only candidates who are exceptionally good in the courses they want to take up are given an opportunity to appear for the examinations. For example, NEET and CET entrance tests select only the candidates who get good ranks to enroll in medical and engineering colleges although millions of students apply for the same. By selecting the suitable candidates in this manner, the government is able to do justice to the students who are really brilliant and can do service to the society after completing their degree. However, it is sad that many students from middle class are unable to take the seats offered to them because the fees is quite high. The management of the private colleges offer the seats to affluent students who get the seats by paying crores of rupees. I feel that the government should bring down the fees structure significantly so that students who have fire on their bellies to become doctors get the seat when selected. If not done ,India will fall short of expert and efficient doctors. In addition, the banks should also reduce the interest rate of students who approach them to sanction Education loans to them.

Vandana ,Please give me another topic. I am still on line.

Niharikha- your second topic: School Tiffin.

Vandana, I am online for next two hours please give me my second topic.
    Knowledge is power.

Umesh- your topic- College buddies.

Although you failed to submit your first write-up, since this is a contest as a tribute to Sun, we will give some leeway here. We will allow you to submit a second write-up. We will not consider the second write-up for the main prizes, but it will be eligible for enhanced points/cc. So let me know if you want a second topic.

I will come on line again between 2.00 and 3.00 Pm.

Topic: College buddies

College buddies evokes in my mind the beautiful memories of my college days when we had a group of students having fun and frolic in various activities. When I recollect those days the images of college buddies just come one by one in front of my closed eyes and I really relish those moments as if they are standing today just in front of me.
    Going to picnics with college buddies was the main activity we used to have at least once in 2-3 months and especially during the holidays. Today when I need some of those buddies or contact them on WhatsApp or other social media sites we often talk or chat about those golden days when we were flying here and there as free birds without any worry in our minds. At that time the greatest attraction for us was to meet our buddies at the scheduled time and then start the group activities. Though we had a good number of students in our class but my buddies were limited to only to eight in numbers and of course it was a group of like minded students having interest and liking in the same areas. Many of us had similar hobbies and we used to exchange things between us pertaining to those hobbies. That was the best period of my life and I still cherish those moments as the golden moments of my college days.

Knowledge is power.

School tiffins are lovingly packed by the mother of her children to be eaten during their lunch time. The mothers carefully pack nutritious and tasty food for their children so that they become energetic and follow the teachers' lessons with attention.When children open their lunch boxes during lunch time, they peep into each others food and sometimes even share their tiffin. I know some mothers who make extra food for their kids friends too. The tiffin boxes of the children are very interesting. They bring sandwich,dosas,idlis,pizzas, pasta,vegetable rice,upma,puri,fruit salads and many more mouth watering items. However, the children like the food of only their friends'food and complain to their mothers about the food they take to school are not at all tasty. Some even hide in a corner and eat the simple rice prepared by their mothers hurriedly so that other children do not look and sniff at them. However, in some schools there are canteens which sell fast food and beverages which are not good for consumption which might cause obesity. I remember my school days when my mother too used to pack me lunch box. It contained mostly curd rice or vegetable rice as my mother thought that only rice items would keep me energetic throughout the day and as an obedient child I used to have my lunch without much ado. And one important thing I want to share is that I made sure that I clean the lunch box thoroughly after eating the food and wipe it clean with the napkin I used to carry and put it back immediately in my school bag so that I do not forget to take it home.Some students used to forget to take back their lunch boxes and the peon used to keep them in a separate storeroom so the parents who came to school, identify the lunch boxes of their wards and take them home. Once, I remember having forgotten to take my steel tiffin box home and still can not forget the scolding I got from my mother for being forgetful at such a young age.

I am going offline now and will indicate when I am back.

Good afternoon everyone. I am back here. We can resume.

Update- I waited till after 2 p.m. It looks like there are no participants for the afternoon session. I will be back online, likely after 6 p.m., and only for a short while. So if anyone wishes to participate, come online after 6 p.m. The contest will close once I go offline again after that.

I am ready for the second topic madam. I will will be available for another one hour online.
    K Mohan

Good evening everyone. We are into the last stretch of this contest. I am online now to assign topics.

Vandana, I am online now. Can you please give me the second topic so that I can submit my response?
    drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao- your topic: University campus.

Vandana Ma'm,

I am online now. Kindly give me a topic to write on it.

shampasaid

University is a temple of Goddess Saraswathi, the Goddess of Knowledge. The University campus will have various departments and will have many knowledgeable people in various specialisations. When we enter a university campus we feel that we entered into a place where all positive thoughts will come to us and they will enhance our wisdom and teaches us how to make use of our knowledge for the prosperity of the individual as well as the nation.

But unfortunately these days these campuses also are getting spoiled due to the unwanted interferences of various political parties and other unwanted elements. They are spoiling the minds of the students and planting unnecessary thoughts in their minds. If politics and political leaders leave these campuses we will see the real talent of our youth and their involvement in the development of the nation.

After seeing this topic my thoughts immediately went to the days of life in Andhra University campus. The laboratories, classrooms. the department library, the central library, the greenery, the open-air theatre. convocation hall, the assembly hall and the hostels etc came back to my mind. Recently again I visited the campus and went to the chemistry department and went to the classroom where I used to attend classes. I feel those days are the best days in my life and those days only gave a shape to me and paved a path to my remaining life.

[This entry wins the first prize]

drrao
    always confident

Shampa - your topic: School Badge

Every person learns the meaning of a badge when their education journey starts by attending school. The school badge gives an identity to a child of belonging to a particular school. The sense of belonging to a place makes them responsible towards the specific school. It includes everything that comes within the school campus from playground to classroom. A child carries the legacy proudly by flaunting one's school badge.
    shampasaid

Vandana Ma'm,

Kindly give me the second topic.

shampasaid

Shampa- your second topic: Visiting faculty.

Vandana Ma'am,

I am online now. Can you please give me second topic?

Dr. Sanchita- your second topic: Internships.

I am going offline now. The contest is closed for further participation. Those who were given their topics can submit their entries, though.

Visiting faculty is a professional who comes and goes away by giving a lecture in a classroom. Actually, they can be very good teachers or educationists, but they don't get attached to their students like the regular faculty members. The growth of a student depends not only upon the education imparted but regular communication with the teachers is very important. The visiting faculty member fails to connect with the students and they just remain an educationist and play no role in building the students' personality. They come to teach and go away without any attachment for the life.
    shampasaid

The internship is important to those who are interested in a special type of job. Generally, when a student joins any company job or job-related to the medical field without experience then they have to face many problems during the job. In such a situation internship is compulsory to adjust to the job. An internship is defined as a period during which someone works for a company or organization to get the experience of a particular type of work. Today's date it is difficult to get a job especially if you don't have experience. Unfortunately, if you get a job without gaining experience your job may terminate on the ground of lack of experience. So, Internships are the best way for college students, recent graduates or anyone considering a career change to obtain valuable work experience. An internship may help students in many ways such as gaining experience in the work field, research experience, converting their academic knowledge into industrial skills etc. Thus, by gaining skills you can apply for future jobs.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.