You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

Having some title issues

Long ago, I undertook a short-term course in journalism. One of the professors taught us that in print media, where the span of attention of the readers is very less, the title is becoming more and more important. He taught us how to give catchy, short but relevant titles to attract the attention of readers. He told us to have such titles which would force the readers to read the entire article or news item. He also used to instruct the students that the title should not ordinarily have any comma, semicolon, or full-stop.

I am trying to follow the advice of my old professor (who left the world log back) as much as possible. I try to give short, crispy but relevant titles to the forum posts without any punctuation marks. But, very, unfortunately, I have been noting that my short titles (forum titles) are being changed to very big titles without crispiness and with punctuation marks at the end. This type of editing (is it editing or elaborating?) is discouraging me.

I am not criticizing any editor. In fact, they are at a much, much higher level. But I, most humbly, requesting them to consider this aspect of short and attractive titles.
    While I do agree that giving the title and appending the right content is the prerogative of the author and editors need not interfere. But in the interest of the site and its popularity, and our forum being moderated closely by the admin, the editors are now taking utmost care not to repeat the topics as headlines and therefore create good heading using SEO techniques to get more traffic to the post. For that matter I am very much concerned with the title and usually prefer short headings and crispy so that the reader should visit and content and even respond. Mostly my headings are retained and never edited by the editors and whenever after posting I search on Google, the post would appear at the top and that proves my intention to have a good heading and the content thereof has been paid and indexed top by the Google.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

his is really an interesting thread by the author starting a polite discussion between short and long titles. Some people might get attracted to short and catchy titles but long titles have their own merit illustrating as what is coming ahead in the thread. One aspect that could be of importance is the SEO raking of the titles. If SEO favours short titles then only they are worth going for in todays search engine environment. I do not have more knowledge in the area of search engine optimisation but it could have a link with the length of the title. There could be an optimum length of the title with SEO friendly words or phrases that could help us in understanding whether a short title is worth or a long one.
    Knowledge is power.

A reference to this Help Topic might help. More than the length of the title, what matters is that authors should not make an attempt to play tricks for the sake of getting traffic or to mislead the readers because it does not augur well with Google policies.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -Robert Frost

"what matters is that authors should not make an attempt to play tricks for the sake of getting traffic or to mislead the readers because it does not augur well with Google policies."-------------Ridiculous 'ghisa-pita' reply. Please understand not everyone is interested in SEO, traffic, etc.

I want to give short and crispy tile to my post without punctuation marks. Please don't change my short titles to insanely big titles with full-stop at the end.

That's all!

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

Editors do not change the titles of any thread unless they have valid grounds, as per our policies, to do so. You are most welcome to give short titles but they should also be acceptable and logical. I don't think there is a need for any further explanation in this connection. And, Partha, please do avoid usages like 'ghisa-pita' etc in your threads or responses. Keep in mind that you are not writing for a normal social media site when you are at ISC.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -Robert Frost

When we are on ISC we have to accept the rules and regulations that are in force and we have to work within the framework. We may like it or not like it, we have no say. Another point is what I write will be good for me and I feel it is very good. But when a second person reads it without any bias they may be able to assess the same in a much better way. I am not saying that Partha Sir is wrong in requesting the Editors to consider his headings. Editors may also have their guidelines and as per that only they may operate. I am thinking.
    If the title is too short the site will not accept and it will ask you to revise the same. So the change may not be because of the length of the title but there may be some other reasons. Again SEO issue is very important for all. Anyhow short or lengthy is not the point. How much meaning it is making is more important I feel.

drrao
    always confident

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    “Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.