You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Can professional services destroy the individually skilled professionals?

Offering several services under one brand is a recent development in the metro cities. Such booking is available online. One can clean one's house, maybe ask the carpenter to do something. The team often includes electricians, plumbers, and so on. I have seen the uniformed teamwork in Chennai. Though I do not know what the house owner has asked for, the team seemed to be a comprehensive job.

Of course, the fees quoted were very much on the high side, somewhat affordable by the Neo-rich upper middle class or the richer classes. One wonders what will happen if these companies do an Amazon in the household service sector. Will they simply displace the skilled but unbranded individual who is also skilled? The electrician or the plumber? Or the motor mechanic?

Amazon is rapidly penetrating villages as well. One can buy anything from Amazon. The assurance of value for money makes the American giant pose such a big threat to the Kirana guys and the small departmental stores. Can the same happen to the household service sector? Perhaps the day is not far off when we will have such services offering neatly dressed household maids as well.
    After the Covid displacements many got the idea of grouping and then doing business through online and in Hyderabad we have one site called Jigyadi which has skilled professionals of all types and they are visiting the home even in odd hour and holidays and their services are good but the charges are high. Right from saloon requirements, electrician, plumber, painting and even tv mechanic are available on call and that is good to see, they have full tool support including the parts required and thus we are not asked to wait and they complete the work immediately. Once they visit the give their personal phone so that next time they can be approached directly and not through the online portal. This way the skilled professionals are getting more works and not paying to company where they are short listed as workers.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Now we can call a plumber through this app and get the work done. We can call a beautician and get our hair cut done in our house without going to a saloon. Things are made easy. But the charges are somewhat on the higher side and another thing is that we can't have direct contact with the technician. We have to go through that service provider's app only. The technician who comes this time may be different from the person that came last time. We can't question him about the quality of service rendered previous time, If we have a known electrician or plumber or carpenter, we can expect better service and in case of a problem, we can contact him directly.
    As mentioned by the author these days we have all the facilities in villages also. In fact, during COVD times I was more comfortable in a village than in Hyderabad. Just a phone call. Everything is reaching my house in no time. The person's items regularly to us gave their phone numbers and asked us to call tell our requirement. Even medicines I was getting at my doorsteps without even a single paise extra.
    We have seen Amazon. We have seen Ola and uber. Now we are seeing Urban clap. Urban clap is a team that provides all technicians for our needs if we book on their app. It has become very famous in our city these days.

drrao
    always confident

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.