You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: New Year Resolutions

Best wishes on (Financial) New Year: What are your New Year resolutions?

Another year passed. Today, a new year starts. We have entered into Financial Year 2022-23. Those who attended office yesterday know that everyone had to work very hard to clear the accounts of the last financial year (2021-22).

It can be expected that all of us are starting 2022-23 with a new slate. So, what are your resolutions today? We wish for marginal improvement in income and hope that the price range of the essential commodities remain within our own range. We want the petrol and diesel prices do not skyrocket. We hope the medical treatment remains suitable for our pocket and can be covered by medical insurance policy. We want our children to study in the best educational institutions at reasonable cost. We want proper price for products for the farmers and new factories for our labours.

Let us hope for the best! Let us hope the Central Government and the State Governments can brush aside the after-effects of Corona and and make India economically powerful.

Best wishes to all Members of ISC on this (Financial) New Year!
    The financial year 2022-23 started on a not-so-promising note. My pension came down by nearly Rs 2000/. Implementation of new AICTE scales is pending since March 2019. The essential commodities always go up. Everyone wishes that petrol and diesel prices be brought under GST. Something the present government is not likely to do. The cost of medicines is also going up. The cost of education depends on the aspirations of the parents and children. Farmer's issue is eternal.
    With all the difficulties, let us hope for the best. Hope is what makes us look forward to better things happening.

" Be Good and Do Good "

A happy new financial new year to all the members of ISC. There is nothing much to cheer up for people like me who are retired from a private company jobs. No pension. The interest rates are coming down resulting in less income. The prices of essential commodities are going up. Many people don't know how to make both ends meet. No chance or no use blaming or criticising somebody. Anyhow, I thank God for whatever he has given me and adjust myself with whatever I am having. My wife is my best match and no complaints from her also. So I am feeling satisfied and hope the conditions will improve and normalcy will restore and all the people will have a good time during this year. Hope all the adverse conditions will vanish. I feel the present government will do something good for the country and ensure all people a happy life.
    drrao
    always confident

A happy financial year to all the members of ISC. For me, there is nothing to cheer me up.,I am a retired employee from SAIL having no provision for the respectable amount of pension. The pension received from EPF is not likely to go up from the present one which I receive currently even less than Rs 2000/- There are many executives from our organisation receiving more or less the same amount which I am currently getting. The worst part is the reduction of rate of interest of the fixed deposits which I enjoyed once. With the revised rate, I am managing anyhow with my wife not complaining of our financial constraints. Hope other members of this platform don't have any issues relating to their earnings. I hope the government will take care of the petroleum products with the stabilisation of its price with the provision of subsidies so that the prices don't move erratically in the upcoming time. That would be only satisfying point for me.

On the beginning of this new financial year, the expectations are more, the fear of war is also more. On the one hand there is ever increasing prices of essentials and commodities to which the common man is battered from front and back. The salaries are not increasing and remaining the same but the extra increase in every item would make the budget fatty for the house holds and they have to go for strict austerity measures. And most of us are now deprived of hard savings that were gone for emergency medical treatment for us and for helping others. So there is no happiness to accept the best wishes and we only hope that the life should not further be battered with natural calamity playing havoc during the rainy season which is hardly three months away. Surely no citizen would be happy in these backdrops of happenings.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

With the increase in life expectancy but simultaneous increase in medical cost, the life of senior citizens have become more problematic. The continuous decrease in interest rate/rate of return in fixed investment instruments, the problem has increased manifold. Further, the sons/daughters are not living with their parents due to job-related reasons and various other factors. In every country, senior citizens are facing similar problems.

The governments of all countries must think about this social and economic problem being faced by the senior citizens. It is now a global phenomenon. If not addressed properly, various other problems will arise.

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

The increasing prices of commodities and services is going to be a big issue in the FY 2022-23. The Govt employees would get the inflation linked DA but others would be getting the same salary and would be in a difficult situation. For the retired people the return on their bank deposits is decreasing and if the economy looks up then the interest rates could go further down. These are the worries coming up in my mind. In this situation there is nothing to plan for a better 2022-23 but yes we can hope that the present war situation in Russia-Ukraine would ease up and things would come back to normalcy.
    Knowledge is power.

While reading this thread suddenly a memoir related to the new financial year flashed in my mind. In fact, it is related to the closing of the financial year.

Way back in 1986, I was transferred from Mumbai to Guwahati and took charge there. On March 31, I saw that in the nearest open space of almost all government offices a temporary tent was erected and preparations were underway for hosting a feast. On inquiring, my staff informed me that this is a regular annual practice to celebrate the closing day of the financial year.

On further probing, they told me that at the end of the financial year, the balance amount left in the account is used for celebrating the event by raising suitable vouchers etc.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Kailash Kumar Sir: All these year-ending feasts have come to our culture from British 'Burra Khana' (Grand feast). After completion of any major event, British officers used to arrange this Burra Khana for the staff. In Delhi, there is one Jilebi Chowk. After completion of construction of the buildings of North Block, South Block and Rashtrapati Bhawan, Khushwant Singh's father, Sir Sobha Singh, (who was the contractor) arranged feeding jilebi to all labours working in this project under him. Since then, this name has stuck.
    “Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

• Sign In to post your comments