You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Will India become another Sri Lanka as prices rise daily?

As India becomes another Sri Lanka day by day, prices of all major commodities, from electricity to gas, food to household goods, have risen sharply, and India is as heavily dependent on imports of commodities as Sri Lanka. Is there a similar boundary between the two? Sri Lanka and India? As Baba Ramdev quoted during the inflationary era, people have to work harder to be more productive. Do you agree with it?
    At this moment we cannot predict the future of India in relation to price hike of the essential commodities but one thing is sure that this will not follow the trend of Sri Lanka since there has been the economic turmoil because of the external loan taken by China for which huge interest has been slapped by the Chinese government. Ours is the case with the external influence due to ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine which has resulted in fears among the oil producers regarding the upward trend of the prices of petroleum products. If the war persists for some more time, its effects would be more dangerous creating destabilising the economy of many countries.

I will not agree with the author that India would become another Sri Lanka as the prices rise daily. Yes rising of prices is the great hurdle for the country and main challenge for the common man and we have been habituated to such phase and we always tackled the situation with austerity measures at home and that paved for lesser demand and the manufacturers has to reduce the price. And comparing Sri Lanka with India is not correct. We are the planned nation with robust economy and last month GST collections was a record at 142 lac crores and that proves we are in track and not getting in crisis. And Sri Lanka is the dependent nation and they fully trusted China and now the Island nation in peril. Why the international countries are not helping the suffering Island as it needs humanitarian approach.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In Sri Lanka about 2-3 years back the government reduced the taxes and other charges drastically and probably that was the triggering point for today's turmoil in Sri Lanka. The economics of Sri Lanka is totally dependent on two factors. One is the import of essential items and other is the foreign currency position of the country at any given point of time. Today the foreign currency reserves of Sri Lanka are very low and there are many items which are not available in the market especially the items which were being imported by them.
    In India we do not have such type of condition. Except petrol and diesel we are not much dependent on imports. Our foreign exchange condition is also robust. Foreign investors are investing in India on a large scale. Considering all these points I do not see that there is any possibility of India having the same meltdown as Sri Lanka is witnessing.

Knowledge is power.

I don't think if India becomes another Sri Lanka despite situation being grim in India too. Sri Lanka has huge debt and government does not have enough money to cope with present economic crisis . Since there is acute shortage of petrol and diesel supply of goods from port to other parts of the country has been stopped because trucks and other means of transport stand still . Shop keepers have increased double and triple price of all commodities that results in panic and chaos.
    Indian economy is not good though but it is still in hand. Government is trying its best to come out of this maze.
    d

As you are showing gratitude and confidence in India's economy but in real-time, the trends are not moving in that direction. Taxes imposed and collected on different commodities is the one that halting from the economic crisis. Etv which is a renowned channel and very patriotic channel also said that the price hikes may lead to disastrous scenarios in India... Here is the link
    https://www.eenadu.net/videos/playVideo/oil-price-hike-deeply-hurting-common-man/1/22630 please check if you know the Telugu language.

Everyone should observe the nature of the Graphite structure because a Graphite has only a tendency to convert into diamond under tremendous temperature and pressure.

I do not think the economy is as robust as so rosily pictured by some of the members. The reality is that if you really care to look closely, you will see how local retail stores that you would regularly visit have suddenly vanished, first shuttered down and then suddenly not existing anymore. This itself is a strong indicator of a non-robust economy.

Furthermore, while people have always been on the lookout for discounts and sales, now more than ever you will see them looking at shelves where the least expensive products are. Monthly budgets have shrunk. Senior citizens with little or no pension are also struggling.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Adding one more point these price raises or hikes haven't happened now (because of Russia and Ukraine war) from the last one or two years we see the price hikes on essential commodities and other commodities......Now it becomes more prominent...
    Everyone should observe the nature of the Graphite structure because a Graphite has only a tendency to convert into diamond under tremendous temperature and pressure.

Yes. There is a price hike and many people are suffering. But Srilanka's problem is something different. They were forced to pay heavy interest to China. That has a big impact on the economy of the country. India may not face such a situation. The crude oil price rise is one of the main reasons for this problem. The imports are taking away a lot of money. Added to that the war is also causing price increases for some essential commodities. Whatever may be the reason the common man is suffering. But I sincerely believe that our government will not allow things that bad have happened to Srilanka.
    drrao
    always confident

Just now came across the news that the entire cabinet in Sri Lanka has resigned and this once again proved that the govt has shown hands up and running away from controlling the crisis and this is dangerous situation as the Island was already plagued with LTTE and other terror outfits and wrong doers have every chance to enter the nation and create further havoc. And one cannot understand as to why International organizations are keeping quite and mum on the matter instead of reaching out to the plagued nation. India should be more worried because we have the responsibility as the immediate big boss in the region and we should take over the Island and bring the law and order to control. Any further delay would vitiate the peace order in the Asia and then it would be difficult for India also to contain the menace.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Hambantota Port was given to Chinese on lease by the Sri Lankan leaders. Despite severe opposition by India or the US, Sri Lankan leader deed not pay heed and carried out their decision. Now, they are fully in the debt trap set by the Chinese and the Sri Lankans are being consumed slowly. The country has lost its economic backbone and economic independence.

Similarly, Pakistan has leased out Gwadar Port to China. Despite strong objection from India, the USA or Japan, China is developing Gwadar-Xinjian economic corridor. China is spending the money necessary for developing the corridor, and Pakistan is paying by leasing out its own land, water, gas and energy to China to meet the commitments.

Both these countries are going to be the vassal states of China very soon.

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

#754853 Modi govt. or the Indian government can also negotiate or bargain with Sri Lanka for a better deal. Who stopped the Modi govt. or the Indian government? Why Sri Lanka has so much faith in China? You may say Pakistan is the Arch rival which is why Pakistan tends toward China. Even in Bangladesh, the Largest Padma Bridge in South Asia is constructed by China.India took a lot of debts from China too...China has explored and invested in many projects in all of the African continent countries.

Today Petrol price in Mumbai crossed 120 and in Hyderabad is 119.50 Rupees per liter. It will cross 150 in a few days of time. As Transport charges increases all the goods prices will get increased automatically. Again we have to take debts from China and other countries...

Bhushan Sir: Please study why Sri Lanka has reached the present state.. Only fifteen years ago, Sri Lanka was the most prosperous country in this sub-continent. Excessive love for Communist China (by Premadasa and Rajapakshe) has resulted in birth of such a terrible baby in Sri Lanka. Same thing is happening in Pakistan.

Hope India will definitely help Nepal so that it does not fall in China's love trap in future.

But Bangladesh won't be as lucky. India will allow the country to go in Sri Lanka-Pakistan way in future.

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

All the neighboring countries have been taken care of in the above responses but the question by the author is still unanswered. Leave alone what China did to Sri Lanka or Pakistan, the query is whether the rising prices of almost all commodities on a daily basis will (may) push India's economy to a disastrous level. Can we have an independent and logical response from some who is knowledgeable?
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -Robert Frost

Palm oil, Sunflower oil, and wheat grains are now costlier in India. Because Indonesia is the major exporter of Palm oil they are using it as Biodiesel in the country. Now Partha sir will tell China is the main culprit of all these...

If China is the main reason for this situation in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Finance minister Ali serbi told to International media they will take the help of the following nations( ASIA DEVELOPMENT BANK, WORLD BANK, China, America, Britain, and other European nations) to come out of the situation as they need 3 billion dollars.,

#755083 India also took a lot of debts from China. Is India also in the love trap of China?

1. Just now read the insightful and informative responses of Saji Sir and Bhushan Sir.
    2. Also noted that today is the last day of life of this excellent thread. So, I am posting my final comment on this issue.
    3. Why Sri Lanka has become almost pauper? There are vey simple and complex reasons. I am mentioning some of these:
    (a) Sri Lanka took very very huge loans mainly from China to complete port project, airport project and some other projects with huge cost. Without calculating future income and without checking whether the country would be able to repay the loan, the country's top bosses took loans mainly from China. As a result it is now firmly in the debt tap. China is tightening the noose.
    (b) After the bomb blast on Easter Sunday in a Colombo church in 2019 (I hope we all know who did it), Sri Lanka has drastically lost its income from tourism, which was almost 20% of its GDP.
    (c) Sri Lanka suddenly stopped production or import of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. As a result, country's agriculture got a very big shock.
    (d) The corrupt leaders engaged in corruption at an almost unthinkable level feeding the dream of making another Dubai/Singapore. The country could not take the burden of so much corruption.
    4. Pakistan is also going the same way. It will face the same situation in six months-one year.
    5. Now, what about India? As far as I understand, under the present dispensation, there is no chance of India becoming Sri Lanka/Pakistan. The rising cost of petroleum products and some other items can't cause so much devastation as witnessed in Sri Lanka/Pakistan. India's economy is on a very strong wicket despite China's conspiracy and Corona.

Thanks and Regards to all.

All are imported from developed to undeveloped countries (Countries in turmoil) and telling that India is Superpower or the largest economy in the world ...that is India because Imran praised India?! realize the facts this is India sir... Increase the rates of all commodities and tell due to Globalization...

Sir, I never mentioned anything about Shri Imran Khan Niazi, the former PM of Pakistan, in any of my responses to this Forum post.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.