You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Do you still refer a hard copy of English language dictionary while developing content for ISC??

I check and re-check repeatedly the spelling mistakes, if any, during developing content for ISC or any other forum and I presume that all of our fellow ISCians also do the same. However, my point of raising this thread for discussion is to know if the system of referring to hard copies of voluminous language dictionaries is still in vogue or not.

I always loved the hard copies of dictionaries occupying a place of pride on the bookshelf in the reading room of almost all educated persons. Many had inherited their dictionaries from their previous generations. With the passage of time, such dictionaries become aged like people who continue to help and guide their students. Nowadays online dictionaries have almost totally replaced the hard copies of language dictionaries.

What are your views about the ubiquitous dictionaries?
    A good thread brought by the author, dictionaries have their own value that can never be denied. There was a time when the school was taught to find five to ten new words from the dictionary every day and make up their meanings and sentences. But over time, technological development has increased the dependence of people on technology and this is the reason that most of us probably do not carry the dictionary with us all the time, but still, I think that even today there will be a dictionary in every house as it still has a value.

I used to have them when I was in school as in those days we didn't have internet but not nowadays when most of the things are readily available on the internet.

I also remember those days when I used to learn 10 words daily from the dictionary to enhance my vocabulary.

Sanjeev

" The two most important days in your life are the day when you are born and the day you find out why? "
    – Mark Twain

The online dictionaries are very convenient while we are working on a computer. The hard copy of the dictionaries almost lies ornamental on the bookshelf. Grammarly extension is available while we are writing for the ISC. The usage of hard copies of the dictionary is very much less.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

This is good question posed by the author. For that matter I would not use any hard copy of English language dictionary as my vocabulary is very normal and understandable and based on experience and the expertise on the subject I give reply immediately on seeing the post. Since the ideas and the happenings were in the mind, writing the memories would be easy and I need not search for words. Dictionary reading is good for those who are the regular content writers for the books and at ISC this is the formal forum section wherein discussions takes place on routine issues and matters. The author can try and give me one word to make a content out of it and that would prove what I have written. Improvisation of the word has been my habit since the childhood and after stint with ISC it has grown further heights.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Using the dictionary is very less these days. When we are writing something on ISC we have the helping hand of Grammarly and it will be correcting spelling mistakes. Online dictionaries are very useful when we are working on a laptop or a desktop. Even if you want to verify the meaning also you can do it online when you are working on a laptop or desktop. So we need not refer to the hard copy of the dictionary.
    But we have good dictionaries of various sizes in our house. They are more like showpieces than reference books. When I was in my profession, I used to keep a dictionary on my table. Similarly, I used to have the handbook of Chemical Engineers and the handbook of chemistry on my table. Those three books were very useful for me during my career.
    The present-day generation may not be well versed in using these dictionaries as they are trained in using digital books more than hard copies of books.

drrao
    always confident

With the progress of time, the value of the dictionary has diminished considerably but during my childhood days, our teachers especially the English Teacher formulated a principle that every people need to write ten different words quoted from the dictionary and these words were to be used in sentences giving appropriate clarity of such sentences. At least that was rather a good attempt to make the pupils familiar with the new words so that they would have a good vocabulary of English making them competent in this language. Now such fashion has abolished and the pupils are habitual with the use of an online dictionary for their queries of words and the same has been popular of late.

There was a time when dictionary was the only source for finding the spelling of a word or to find meaning of a new word. I remember that up to the year 2006, I was using the dictionary invariably a few times every week. After that as I was having a mobile phone with me so the need of dictionary was not there and spellings available in the mobile phone were sufficient for referring and checking them on the go.
    Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments