You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

The Press Freedom Rank of India falls.

The Press Freedom Index for 2022 by the 'Reporters without Borders' was published yesterday. India ranks 150 out of 180 countries that are ranked for the year 2021. The rank of India in 2016 was 133 and now it has fallen further to 150 in the year 2021.

The Press Freedom Index indicates the freedom of expression of journalists, news reporting organisations, and the public on social media. It also reflects the attitude of the government towards them. The fall in the index indicates a disturbing aspect as per the report. The report further says "The violence against journalists, the politically partisan media, and the concentration of media ownership all demonstrate that press freedom is in crisis in "the world's largest democracy".

The big business houses are dominating the media through their ownership of media outlets. One business family is controlling nearly 70 media outlets as per the report. Journalism is termed the fourth pillar of democracy. Democracy thrives only when there is freedom for the media.
    1. Since yesterday night, I have been eagerly waiting for this post. While waiting, I was going through/watching The Wire, The Quint, The Print, NDTV India, NDTV Hindi, The Hindu, Anandabazar Patrika (Bengali) and was trying to understand the true nature of deterioration of press freedom in India.
    2. In this connection, someone told me how an Indian intellectual earns money abroad. I am mentioning the interesting method below:-
    (a) First put India on around 150th-175th rank out of 198 nations in the prepared list. Then include the Scandinavian countries among top 10 in the list. Further put Singapore, Japan, etc. among the top 30. Place China around 75-80 in the list.
    (b) Thereafter, mention factors like press freedom, religious freedom, availability of Pfizer vaccine in India, freedom to party in nightclub, Netflix watching, LGBQT freedom, women's right, minority freedom, freedom to urinate in public, etc.
    (c) Put countries like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Afghanistan above India in the said list. Collect money from all anti-India houses inside and outside India to allow them to share this list.
    (d) Media will use the list to abuse India for a week. Ravish Kumar, Sekhar Gupta, Rajdeep Sardesai, Nidhi Rajdan, Rana Ayyub, Barkha Dutt, Sagarika Ghose, Arfa Khanum Sherwani and well-known political leaders will cry before TV cameras about India's deteriorating press freedom.
    3. Everything will be settled in an excellent manner. And our KVRR Sir will sing: "Yeh kahan aa gaye hum"!
    4. Indians won't bother about the list. They will expect that next year India would go down further in that list.

{Editor's Note- Please do not use bold or any other HTML tags in your posts or responses}.

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

The Press Freedom rank of India falls and that is indeed a great concern expressed by the author. But what are the cause that lead to such a situation need to be probed. That some writers in the garb of freedom always goes against the interest of the govt and even good deeds are portrayed into opportunistic policies and thus govt action on them was obvious. Media should not have any control from outside world, but the way some media were functioning against the larger interest of the people, buying such media has become the necessity and tame them. No journalist across the country has the guts to appreciate good work done by the central govt and they are ready to bring in adverse news first without verifying the fact and thus becomes the fake news on which the opposition plays its fiddle and then goes sulking.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

And Partha sir, thank you so much for that prepared answer to this post otherwise there would be more mudslinging on the part of govt as if it is controlling the whole media for granted.
    K Mohan

The two expected responses have come. Partha Sir, it seems, ready with a response expecting such a post. Mohan sir expressed his opinion as to how some media is trying to throw mud on the good deeds and policies of the present government. Very good show indeed.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

KVRR Sir is again 200 per cent correct. In fact, I got the news day before yesterday night and could immediately anticipate that KVRR Sir or some other well-known member/editor would definitely raise a post on this issue. So, I started preparing.
    “Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

The argument was well presented on presumptions and assumptions. Why India is targeted? When more than 180 countries are ranked, why the 'Reporters without Borders' is only interested in India? Someone says something and a narrative is constructed. Had they questioned the methodology, I can understand. One response always finds a way to support the present dispensation. They are interested in commenting on other countries but when India comes under the scanner for some reason or other they call it discrediting India and the government policies. The country and the government should always be open to criticism and learn from it. If all people heap praise, the country will be at loss.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I don't how accurate the survey is? What is the method of sampling and how many samples were examined? The accuracy of the survey depends on the sampling method and the number of samples. After the assembly elections last time, Lagadapati, who is very well known for the accuracy of his surveys, predicted that TDP will be winning the majority of seats. But what happened we all know. Why I mentioned this example is to say that surveys go wrong sometimes.
    It is a real concern to the country if the freedom of to press is not there. But many political parties have their channels and they will sing the song of their party only. Telangana government and AP government tried to ban some newspapers and news channels. But they went to the court and go the ban was lifted. The press also should not use their freedom for their selfish gains and they should report the actual things that are happening. The roles of government, as well as the press, are very important in this accept.

drrao
    always confident

@756388, Why India is targeted because we have the press freedom and our govt keeps mum on press which gets into mudslinging rather than reporting the facts. Had the govt was rude and strong well before, we could not have heard the name and fame of such reporters who spill beans on the govt and yet enjoy the ads that they get. Now having seen the partisan attitude of electronic media which is not reporting the fact, the govt has taken the route of internet and we can see ads on Telangana and Tamil Nadu released by the govt is popping in now and then with facts and figure because both the states are blaming the centre that center has done nothing and the print and electronic media though being sent with the press release are not carrying the facts and therefore the govt itself has been forced to release ads through Google.
    K Mohan

Is criticising the government mud-slinging? Does the reporting of increasing unemployment figures be called mud-slinging? Everyone knows how the majority of media shies away from criticising the government. The Supreme Court in June 2021, upheld the right of every journalist to criticise the actions of the government while delivering a judgment in the case of the journalist Mr. Vinod Dua. Incidentally, Vinod Dua was arrested under sedition charges for criticising the government. In a democracy, the people should question the government in its acts and policies. The governance improves only when criticism is taken honestly and corrective measures are adopted.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Surveys are always based on certain assumptions. There will always be some missing data collected by the survey authorities. Those things will definitely affect the survey outcome. Hence the result of such surveys is to be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Coming to the issue of media and its importance in India we have to understand that there are some media houses which want that government should advertise through them and give them the necessary money for that. If the government does that then they will praise the government otherwise start blaming it for everything. The present government is not bothering for the media houses and not giving importance to them from that point if view. The result is that these media houses are making a campaign that government is ill treating the media in India.

Knowledge is power.

KVRR Sir has stated: "The governance improves only when criticism is taken honestly and corrective measures are adopted." This is true only when the criticism is done honestly with good intentions. Let me give a very recent example.

Yesterday night in the famous NDTV, the great Nidhi Rajdan was interviewing Adar Poonawalla. Despite repeated attempt by Nidhi-ji to put negative words in the mouth of Poonawalla about India's vaccination programme, he didn't fall in Nidhi's trap. He constantly said India's vaccination programme is very praiseworthy. But, due to Nidhi's agenda-driven questioning, we could not listen to some important information about booster doses which Poonawalla was about to share with public.

This is only one example to prove that agenda-driven criticism is not doing good for the Government as well as the people of India.

Partha Sir, there should be a limit to misleading people. I have seen the interview of Poonawala with Nidhi Razdaan of NDTV after reading your response. Anyone can see the interview on Youtube by searching Nidhi with Poonawala on Youtube. By watching this interview, anyone can understand the truth in Partha Sir's response above. I implore all the members to watch that video and know the truth. Why do these people always try to spread misinformation?
    " Be Good and Do Good "

It's something to worry about and if it is to be addressed it has to be found why this is happening. There is no doubt that media is partisan. A few of the channels support the government and others support the view of the opposition. It doesn't matter who is in power because they function just like the politicians, always shouting and either denouncing the government or the opposition. As media is a good business and there are big players in the business, everyone is interested to protect their own interests rather than the interest of the people. Politics has a great role here. Wherever politicians interfere they try to impose their own ways.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

• Sign In to post your comments