You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What bad habits have you acquired during lockdown?

There have been two lockdowns in India. The first lockdown was in 2020 and the second one was in 2021. In 2022, there has been no lockdown so far (thankfully!) even there was a surge due to Omicron infection.

During the second lockdown, I had to attend office everyday. However, the situation had been different during the first lockdown. Due to continuous misinformation campaign and panic-mongering by some so-called responsible television channels and newspapers, and due to death of my very old father (although not due to Corona infection), I was severely depressed and I confined myself within the four walls of our residence. I never went out for a very very long time. During this period, I started watching television serials to kill time.

I watched 'The Ramayana', 'The Sundarkanda' and other old serials. But I was most impressed by the old episodes of &TV's 'Bhaviji Ghar Par Hain'. The storyline of this running comedy show is that two male neighbours are deeply in love with each other's wife but dare not speak openly about their love. So, they harass each other with the help of some other funny characters who also live in the same 'mohalla' (Modern Colony) of Kanpur.

I enjoy the current episodes every night from 10.30 to 11 p.m. I also watch older episodes after the current programme.

I have developed this bad habit during the first lockdown. What about you? Have you developed any bad habit during lockdown? Let's discuss.
    The author is right that the corona phase prevailing during the phase 2020 created a lot of panic compelling us to remain within the four walls of our residence. After my retirement from my service, there was no more regular job for me except for going through the regular newspapers of both English Versions and Hindi ones. Unfortunately I lacked the company of my old colleagues visiting very often for gossiping. However, with the surge of infection, our friends were no more visiting for their talks. There was no more scope of going to outside unnecessarily and hence I started to look for the channels giving me extra entertainment.
    YouTube provided me a lot of serials screened in TV dating back to 1985. I started to enjoy both Mahabharata and Ramayana with a great interest and even the serials of those days such as Humlog and other serials such as Khandan were witnessed. I even forgot the activities of daily exercises with my deep involvements in the past episodes. Now, it will take sometime to get rid of these old habits.

During this lock down I had acquired three main habits ie patience, remain calm and taking the spiritual way. I was not having that much patience earlier as I used to go out frequently and confront with the people who are on wrong side. Having cut off from the world and moving out, I was stay put at the house gaining more patience and remaining calm thereby increasing my life expectancy by some months because I have saved the energy. And I had taken to the spiritual way by praying God early in the morning for the good of all and family members. One thing is sure, the lock down has drastically brought down wasteful expenditure and not spending on out side food and thus some healthy habits has also developed and that is continuing. But we are kept away from the relatives and friends who are no more visiting our places.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Thank God. I have not developed any bad habits during these two lockdowns. In 2020, I went to my native place to attend a function and when I was there the lockdown was announced. I was lucky to spend a good time with my parents. I have also watched Ramayan and Mahabharat serials during that time. Another good thing is I learned some mantras from our Guru in our Village. They are nothing but Rudra Namakam and Chamakam.
    During the second lockdown also I was with my parents only. I went to my native place to see my second daughter in law who went to her parents for delivery. Their village is near to my native village. So I was there again when the lockdown was announced. This time a small group of people used to meet in our house and recite Vishnu Sahsranamam and Lalitha Sahasranamam daily for about an hour or so.

drrao
    always confident

I have got some time to meditate more than the normal days. But when talking for bad habit, I got sleeping in the afternoons at least for one hour. Though I felt this is bad, I could not skip that.

Corona virus time was a very conducive time for inculcating bad habits in the people. The reason for that is very simple that when you are confined to the four walls of your house and have nothing much to do then you fall prey to some addictions like seeing TV for more time, engaging in mobile phone for a longer period, lying down unnecessarily, inactive life, and so many other things which definitely come under the category of bad habits.
    During the corona period I couldn't go out and could not walk in the park and couldn't do exercise in the morning with the other friends which was the usual practice earlier being undertaken in the nearby garden.

Knowledge is power.

It appears that no other Member developed any bad habit during lockdowns. Of course, Umesh Sir has stated that his habit of morning walk got discontinued, Ramachandran Sir developed the habit of afternoon nap, etc. But these are not bad habits.

No one has developed bad habits like watching ridiculously bad and poorly made television serial till midnight..

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

How can there be bad habits when we among the children , family and spending the time happily ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments