You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

Reminiscences about Forum section of ISC

I joined India Study Channel (ISC) on 23rd September 2015. Since the very beginning, I was attracted by the Forum section due to its liveliness, vivacity, knowledgeable discussion on various different topics, colourful stories posted by different members. There were some great members whose posts attracted immediate attention from all.

After a long hiatus, I have returned to ISC in the month of March 2022. I notice a a 'terrible' change in this section. A very colourful member has departed forever. Many other members whose posts I used to read with great interest no longer write on this platform.

Nowadays I see posts mainly against the central government, on petrol/diesel price rise, on moral issues like 'we should do this or we should not do this' or elaborating well-known adage/proverb, Members no longer write different types of posts or posts containing interesting stories/riddles.

I am sorry to say Forum section has lost its old charm. But what is the reason behind it? Is it pandemic which has affected the members?

Or, is excessive trimming the reason behind the colourful plant losing its colour?
    There may be multiple reasons behind this. Maybe the regular contributors think of the burning issues and post threads related to them. Those who watch lots of news channels throughout the day may be watching the same stories again and again and cannot think of any other thing which is reflected in their posts. In the middle of many wrong-doings maybe we forget to see the colourful things and suggest others to do things in the right way. Let's see what others say.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

This is a very interesting observation by the author. What I understand is that things change with time, contemporary stories change with time, people change with time, and finally the contents also change with time.The flow of time is very strange and interesting. Many things change with that. It is no surprise that forum section has also changed quite a lot and as the old people are replaced with new ones, definitely the content would also change in accordance to those changing patterns. As regards the topics I feel that members are submitting their posts related to variety of subjects, some of which are quite new and fresh. We are getting about 100 to 120 posts in forum section every month and in such a situation it is possible that many topics might be repeating or quite similar to the earlier ones but that deviation would always be there in such a massive swarms of posts.
    Knowledge is power.

I joined ISC on 6 May 2015, after my retirement on 30 April 2015.

I think I attained the Platinum Level of Membership in the shortest period in the history of ISC. It took only a little more than one year for me to reach the highest level of membership. Then, I became busy with other matters and stopped writing in ISC.

I am curious about fellow ISCians, e.g., Gypsy, Saroja Ji, Juana, etc. After knowing about Sun's demise through a FaceBook post from Chitra, I rejoined.

All my posts in the past were not qualitative. There was only an extreme desire to reach the highest level. I also remember one ISCian though I cannot recollect the name. He always used to take an anti-establishment stance to continue discussions. There was a long debate as to why a few ISCians addressed me as Kailash, Sir in the beginning.

Vandana supported me a lot in the beginning. She will recollect about me after reading this post.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

This site came into existence in the year 2007 and from then onward the forum section has been on its surge of creating some great threads and so far 1,81,261 and more threads are posted by various members and that proves how much contribution has been done to enhance the prestige and pride of this site. This forum is highly moderated and duplicate post, same content post, already appeared posts are not entertained and deleted. Controversial posts and religion related posts are deleted forthwith. When such strict rules are there, members loose interest and does not have the wholesome knowledge to go for fresh posts and more over political posts are having once sided appreciation from the editors who give cash credits to the views expressed against the post and thus many members are not interested to raise even political posts.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Kailash Kumar Sir has stated: "I also remember one ISCian though I cannot recollect the name. He always used to take an anti-establishment stance to continue discussions."------------- Sir, are you trying to remember Mr. Jeet Singh (Jeets)?
    “Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

I am active on this site since January 2017. For me, the forum section is very important. I spend a lot of time on this section. Some members commented that we spend time here for getting more points. Those people forget that by collecting points we are not earning lakhs of rupees. But such people are not there now. They left probably because they got a better source to earn more points and rewards.
    Earlier I used to see many confrontations here. Discussion is entirely different but confrontations are not healthy. One should not think that everyone should follow the same thinking process. Sometimes I used to see discussions in an unwanted way. Then an Editor has to come and divert the discussion or used it to lock the thread. These days such instances are less and somewhat healthy discussions are happening I feel. There are many topics that are being discussed here and the Editors are very alert in rejecting or locking the threads if there is any sign of repetition.

drrao
    always confident

After a very long break I logged into ISC now and after I see through the threads something flashed by not seeing the name SUN and after opening this thread sorry to know about his disappearance. Also gave mixed feeling that Sh.Kailash Kumar mentioned my name and happy to note that other things are happening here as usual by experts.

Also in the first page of forum the usual toppers names are present like Mohan, Partha and in some announcement I looked through names presents there are Sh.Venkiteswaran, Sheo Shankar Jha etc.,

As mentioned by Partha yes I do remember the name Jeets.

Also the star members like Vandana, Jagdish Patro and Saji Ganesh and top forum members like Srinivasa Rao, Umesh are few members.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Yes, Partha. Jeets only.

He once raised a thread about the Bollywood number 'Rang de tu mohe gerua'.

Partha,

There is no question of excessive trimming, As you well know, what is required to be done will be done, and plants do flourish even in extreme weather conditions.

Yes, there is some lack of freshness in the topics raised for forum discussions. It is not just the forum, though. I frankly feel that the interest of members is waning generally. We hardly see any contributions now in the articles section, participating in contests has nosedived, and we even see the same award winners time and again. Perhaps motivation is lacking?

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

The freshness of topics has to be expected from the new members as they are having numerous questions to be asked in general and specific matters and they have to take charge of this forum. As senior members has already raised some topics, they may be run out of new topics to be discussed. As observed by the Managing Editor, the interest of the members are waning and they are no more interested to respond to the threads that does not matter to them. Since the article section needs to be more detail to which lots of time spending and research needed, the members may be going slow. And as regards contests, probably not everyone would be attracted to such contests and thus keep away. Even in group discussions those who start the discussion with a point are not remembered and those who reply again and again are awarded and hence many keeping out.
    K Mohan

Partha, why complain? Do your bit if you are so attached. Come up with topics (and even responses) that are not political. I suggest you make an attempt to revive the liveliness in the forum. And what are you talking about? Don't forget that you are the one who brings in politics into all threads.

There was a mention about 'hiatus'. Could you please explain?

Mohan, I think you need to give the whole issue a rethink. Don't just scribble without giving things a deep thought. You have been around for quite long and should not let you to be misguided.

For all those critics of editors, please note that we won't be allowing a freefall!

Partha, go back to the olden days of ISC and you will find the difference.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -Robert Frost

Just now I posted a thread on centre withdrawing free rice to Telangana and the poor deprived of rice. The thread has been deleted. Why ISC feels that it should not be discussed here. ISC has been acting like selective media not allowing the truth to be discussed here. By withdrawing free rice due to spat between the KCR and BJP, the poor are getting deprived of the ration rice. There is nothing wrong to discuss politics here. When issue connected with Kerala has been allowed and even responded by lead editor why my thread has been deleted. Such kind of over pruning makes the member loose the interest and go slow. May be others get hurt more with such deletions and never come back to raise a thread. But I know and habituated to functioning of ISC and thus taken light of such rejections and this reply to the above response by lead editor.
    K Mohan

Mohan, I will reinstate your thread if you really feel and is confident that it was constructed and brought up well.

I reiterate that we won't be allowing anything and everything (free fall) unless the topics are framed and constructed with due seriousness. It is not the question whether a thread is political, philosophical, social or for that matter, of any zoner.

It is not that we would be deleting/ shifting to pending all such threads. But we would like to maintain a standard and would expect our esteemed members to respect our decision. We take care to disallow threads that are posted without any content value and which does not convey any meaning on its own.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -Robert Frost

I support what Saji has indicated in response #757848. Since Partha has raised this thread, let's consider his contributions- his participation is restricted to political discussions. Similarly, another member may be focusing only on food and travel, another only on cricket. Where is the variety? Even in responding, if somebody comes up with a critical view of a Govt. policy, the ones supporting/dissenting with the policy will literally pounce on the thread, but when somebody raises an interesting discussion, let's say, on the school curriculum, we will get some vapid responses with no lively debate.

The onus rests on each member (including myself and other editors as well) to come up with fresh and interesting non-political topics and put in responses that would help to keep a thread alive for some days. That would surely make the forum lively again.

So, Partha, how about some great topics that are non-political in nature from your keyboard?!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

From the responses of Saji & Vandana I second the opinion of them that this forum should be non political and I know (as I was busy with local regional forums) the purpose of the blogsite/forum should maintain within the walls of it and if someone like to participate political activities they have to participate in the respective blogsites. As there are IT wings of every political party and their wing members are in the scrutiny of other forum sites 24X7 it is better to keep this forum mainly of other interesting learning topics.

@Vandana even I missed the message from you as my email id attached to this site got cyber attack and got it back only two days back and with empty state to start afresh.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Mohan, may I request you to get back on my request? You are one of the senior member here and so would like you to be specific and clear.

If more members of younger age groups join the forum section of ISC, then variety and freshness can be achieved in topics of threads raised. Senior members continuing for decades, have exhausted their treasure of accumulated experiences. They are now raising posts by picking news headlines.

It is the duty of all members to post new information about new topics. It is not the duty of the young members only.

Whatever I have written here is my observation; not any complaint.

“Khamosh rahoon toh mushkil hain, keh doon toh shikayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But if I speak, they complain.) --------- Saba Afghani

• Sign In to post your comments